Din Tai Fun coming to SCP!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/din-tai-fung-costa-mesa

anyone brave the lines today?  good reviews so far.  Victor L. posted the 'correct' procedure to get a table, get in line to put your name/number down, they text you when its close, you stand in line again.  Then you wait in the waiting area to get seated.  Sounds like a process. 

We went early and 10;30 and there was a line that wrapped all the way to the parking lot, then security asked the line be relocated twice more times.  despite all the madness everyone was really patient and crowd was friendly. The food was delicious. Some people in my party who have been to din tai fung in Taiwan said the quality was comparable to the Taiwan DTF.  Potstickers were the best that we ordered. We had xiao long bao, chicken soup, spinach with tofu, green beans, shrimp with rich dumplings, tofu appetizer, spicy cucumbers.
When u go check out their bathrooms.  Its worth seeing.  There was a Toilet Lady who was an attendant busy wiping and keeping things neat and opened the door for when you leave.  Toto toilets, and dyson faucets.  You clean your hands then dry at the sink!

ps9 said:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/din-tai-fung-costa-mesa

anyone brave the lines today?  good reviews so far.  Victor L. posted the 'correct' procedure to get a table, get in line to put your name/number down, they text you when its close, you stand in line again.  Then you wait in the waiting area to get seated.  Sounds like a process.

It's what they do at the Ding Tai Fung in Taiwan.  We had them back there and they were good but not that great.  I can't imagine the pricing considering they were already pretty expensive in Taiwan.

Also, truffle dumplings???!!!!  :eek:

I am not taking the forbidden left turn from the carousel no matter how good the food is. According to legend there has been countless sighting of Graco strollers there!

irvinehomeshopper said:
I am not taking the forbidden left turn from the carousel no matter how good the food is. According to legend there has been countless sighting of Graco strollers there!

LOL. 

That is a very interest wing of SCP.  There is a Haagen Daas, Starbucks and a Sears but also the knife store.  It used to be crowded cuz of the McDonalds but I can't begin to imagine what the line is like for DTF.

We do visit the family restroom (which is incredibly awesome) and the Disney store.

Killing time is ideal for the anchor baby mamas and Chinese mistresses.

WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

You clearly haven't been there in a bit.  Graco strollers are far outnumbered by the fancy $1000 Orbitbaby, Bugaboo, & Uppababy systems.

I've been reading yelp.  Not sure my fam can handle the 3 part check-in process and the 2 hour wait time.  Even with the distraction of SCP.

Looks like businesses around DTF are benefiting from its popularity:  Claimjumpers alcohol sales are going up!

I don't think so. Chinese patrons are too cheap to pay overpriced drinks at the CJ bar. I was talking to the big boss Joes Shanghai about DTF expansion at SCP. He is skeptical that for the long term whether DTF could survive the high overhead. Joes has a midtown location currently in the red.

WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

You clearly haven't been there in a bit.  Graco strollers are far outnumbered by the fancy $1000 Orbitbaby, Bugaboo, & Uppababy systems.

I've been reading yelp.  Not sure my fam can handle the 3 part check-in process and the 2 hour wait time.  Even with the distraction of SCP.

The Zerolots completely avoided that section of SCP and just hung out at the carousel.  It's JUST dumplings, peeps! 

So I went to DTF south coast plaza on SAT.  I had a group of 6 adults and 2 children.  Here's how it went.

4:10 get into line near Sears to give DTF my phone number
4:24 give the hostess my number.  She says it will be "atleast 3 hours"
6:30 eat something else
7:14 get a message from DTF that I have 8 minutes to get into the 2nd line.

I could have drove to the Arcadia/Glendale store, ate and came back in that time.

zubs said:
So I went to DTF south coast plaza on SAT.  I had a group of 6 adults and 2 children.  Here's how it went.

I could have drove to the Arcadia/Glendale store, ate and came back in that time.

3 hours? 

my gosh.. The dumplings are good.. but man.. they are still dumplings. 

jmoney74 said:
zubs said:

3 hours? 

my gosh.. The dumplings are good.. but man.. they are still dumplings.

That's what she said..

Back