Din Tai Fun coming to SCP!

SoCal said:
woodburyowner said:
absolute best steam pork dumplings!  i have never had any other XLB that have even come close to DTFs.. definitely worth trying if you haven't.
I've never had a pork dumpling or an XLB. Actually, I think I've had a potsticker from the freezer section at Ralph's once. Does that count?

There are several restaurants in Irvine that serves XLB.  A&J and 101 Noodle Express has them.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/a-and-j-restaurant-irvinehttp://www.101noodleexpress.com/

IMG_5796.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiaolongbao

Regarding OP -
Hopefully the lines will be shorter than the two Arcadia locations, haha.

Regarding XLB - There are some other places with comparable XLB that offer some other great dishes.  They are just a bit more hole in the wall.

I typically get my dumplings from different hole in the wall restaurants.  Then, I go to Zion Market and get napa cabbage to steam my dumplings on.  I just steam them with a typical revere wear steamer.

gwailo168 said:
Regarding XLB - There are some other places with comparable XLB that offer some other great dishes.  They are just a bit more hole in the wall.

Care to share the restaurant names?  I have eaten at MANY XLB places all around the US, China, and Taiwan and never found a XLB that is on the same level as DTF.  I've had many good ones, but as far as consistency and flavor of both the thin skin and the pork filling, the DTF one is a tough one to beat.

Mama Lu on Garvey in Monterey Park, Ding in Rowland Heights, Joes Shanghai in New York Chinatown and Nan Xiang in Flushing.

woodburyowner said:
gwailo168 said:

Care to share the restaurant names?  I have eaten at MANY XLB places all around the US, China, and Taiwan and never found a XLB that is on the same level as DTF.  I've had many good ones, but as far as consistency and flavor of both the thin skin and the pork filling, the DTF one is a tough one to beat.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Mama Lu on Garvey in Monterey Park, Ding in Rowland Heights, Joes Shanghai in New York Chinatown and Nan Xiang in Flushing.

woodburyowner said:
gwailo168 said:

Ding is pretty good.
I wasn't too impressed with Joe's Shanghai in NY, but that may have been with me setting expectations too high?

I do agree that DTF is very consistent with their XLB.  Some of the hole in the wall places may be a bit inconsistent.

This place has had great XLB on occasions.  They just added sun jian bao to their menu which makes me like this place even more.  They have a good tofu appetizer along with a very good pork, chinese sausage rice in a pot that is accompanied by a soup.  Spend a certain amount of money and get the rice wine dessert.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/jj-noodle-house-rowland-heights#query:jj noodle

I ate here Friday for a friend's birthday and may be driving back tonight for my sister-in-laws birthday, haha.

I also wasn't that impressed with Joe's Shanghai in NYC Chinatown - maybe they lost some of their mojo.  Right now, I would choose DTF over Joe's.

The Mexicans can mow your lawn, clean your house, baby sit your kids and consistency in making good XLB too!

gwailo168 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

woodburyowner said:
gwailo168 said:

Ding is pretty good.
I wasn't too impressed with Joe's Shanghai in NY, but that may have been with me setting expectations too high?

I do agree that DTF is very consistent with their XLB.  Some of the hole in the wall places may be a bit inconsistent.

This place has had great XLB on occasions.  They just added sun jian bao to their menu which makes me like this place even more.  They have a good tofu appetizer along with a very good pork, chinese sausage rice in a pot that is accompanied by a soup.  Spend a certain amount of money and get the rice wine dessert.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/jj-noodle-house-rowland-heights#query:jj noodle

I ate here Friday for a friend's birthday and may be driving back tonight for my sister-in-laws birthday, haha.

Starlight East said:
Rainforest Cafe and McDonalds closed? That's it, I'll never go to SCP again. 

The gorilla and alligator were iconic and great entertainment for the baby/toddler.  I actually never really ate at the cafe, kind of regret it now.

irvinehomeowner said:
Vinster said:
Set to open early next year in half of the space currently occupied by Rainforest Cafe which closed on Sunday.
http://www.dailypilot.com/news/tn-dpt-me-0710-rainforest-cafe-20130708,0,6739804.story
Dang... the FCBs are really taking over. What's going to replace McDs... 85??

Just go to the one at Downtown Disney.  It's a chain store.

Vinster said:
Set to open early next year in half of the space currently occupied by Rainforest Cafe which closed on Sunday.
http://www.dailypilot.com/news/tn-dpt-me-0710-rainforest-cafe-20130708,0,6739804.story

I was at Rainforest with my kids last weekend. It's such a fun place for children to eat. For us parents, we don't have to do much to entertain our kids while eating there. It's a shame it has closed. We dine there once in a while when we are shopping at SCP. I am kinda sad, shocked actually. I will tell my kids later and I'm sure they will be shocked and sad too  :(  SCP is trying to please the FCB shoppers!  Where can we eat now? Xiaolongbao's by Din Tai Fung is overpriced, not worth it! Damn it, the FCB's are really taking over!  :mad:

My only issue with Rainforest Cafe is the food is so overpriced compared to the quality.

At first my kids were very afraid of eating there (the thunder/lightning and gorilla chest thumping can get quite loud) but as they got older, it's one of their favorite places to eat.

Maybe DTF can keep the animal-tronics around. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
My only issue with Rainforest Cafe is the food is so overpriced compared to the quality.

At first my kids were very afraid of eating there (the thunder/lightning and gorilla chest thumping can get quite loud) but as they got older, it's one of their favorite places to eat.

We never went there because of the prices.  We usually end up going to Corner Bakery or the Nordstrom Cafe.

irvinehomeowner said:

Don't want a big gorilla hovering around my table while I'm chowing down on some dumplings... no offense IHO.

Back