Countdown for in-person schooling

This should be short term. Depending on the vaccine that skipped the 3rd phase.
(I would probably pass on that one that skipped the 3rd phase. Hopefully the other ones goes through the full cycle of testing.)

The point is that this maybe short term.

eyephone said:
This should be short term. Depending on the vaccine that skipped the 3rd phase.
(I would probably pass on that one that skipped the 3rd phase. Hopefully the other ones goes through the full cycle of testing.)

The point is that this maybe short term.

Crossing fingers.

I would also avoid any vaccines that skips 3rd phase...which is a ridiculous proposition.  We need effective vaccines...not ones that can get produced fastest.  We already have enough anti-vaxxers out there...don't need any more faulty evidence to support their bogus claims.

bones said:
Right except some parents don't want to DIY.  It's like that long thread on here about washing your car.  I outsource that.  But some like to do it themselves.  I'm suggesting QWERTY do private school because it sounds like it would be suitable for his situation.  No one recommended it for your kids.

I second the recommendation for qwerteacher's kids. He doesn't understand medical science and math so we don't want him passing that on to the next generation. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
Right except some parents don't want to DIY.  It's like that long thread on here about washing your car.  I outsource that.  But some like to do it themselves.  I'm suggesting QWERTY do private school because it sounds like it would be suitable for his situation.  No one recommended it for your kids.

I second the recommendation for qwerteacher's kids. He doesn't understand medical science and math so we don't want him passing that on to the next generation. :)

Rofl

bones said:
QWERTY - Time to sell some TSLA shares and do private school!

A friend just switched over to an OC private school. SEVEN kids in the class. Big classroom. Even virtual learning is a pleasure. Everyone gets called on/fully engaged and you?re not one of 30 squares.
We ultimately made that move this year with our older (2nd grader).  Did virtual for a bit and now moved to in person (*fingers crossed it will work out*). That said - the virtual experience was actually really pleasant and even now a chunk of the class has is remote and a chunk is in person and they have a really great technological set-up to ensure a pretty seamless experience (so virtual kids remain engaged, etc).  Even when we were all virtual - it was a very stark difference between what I experienced last year and what we had experienced right out of the gate in public this year (as we switched literally the 1st week of school). 

bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
I guess I do not take my daughter's schooling as seriously as other but I honestly do not see the "loss" from remote learning, especially at a grade school level.  No...it's not optimal and not as good as in-person learning but I see no academic loss from it, at least nothing that we cannot reinforce by finding outside work/apps/tutoring to make up. 

The biggest loss to me is the social interaction but I doubt private schools are allowing kids to congregate and hang out at school anyways.

Irvinecommuter said:
I guess it depends on the private school you go to and the individual need of the student but I don't think private school is better per se.  I think there are students who would benefit from the smaller classrooms but most private school do not pay their teachers well and does not require the same level of training and background.  Most private teachers I know are there while waiting to get into a public school program.

Also...you can take the money that you pay for private school for personal tutoring and after school classes.

Irvine is already sheltered enough...I do not need to extra layer of sheltering for my kids from private schools.

I think it's two separate conversations.  Private school versus public school in a normal school year -pros and cons to both sides.  But in a pandemic, there's no doubt in my mind that private school > public school.  If you want some sort of in person schooling, the only way to do it right now in the OC is the private route.  Even if you don't feel comfortable with in person, DL through private school is much better.  There's less kids, more instructional time, more teaching, smaller collaborative environment.  It's impossible to achieve this with 30 kids. Obviously YMMV depending on the private school.

In terms of losing out on a year, I agree with what you said.  However, don't discount DL making kids feel BLAH about school and learning.  For academics, sure, you can do all that private tutoring/enrichment classes/apps/etc, but if you're going to make your kid do all that after 5 hours of "distant learning" through public school, shouldn't you either homeschool or just go to private school?  Saves your kid from all that wasted time 5x a week.
You summed it up best - we are assuming this is a one year move but we made it for the above reasons and psychologically we had already seen our daughter (last year) lose the passion and energy she had for school.  This year - it has been a night and day difference and we see it in her energy, attitude, and enthusiasm for learning each and every day.  Part of that is also just the psychological aspect of spending more time with others (than just her family / friends).

My caveat is - we have been so blown away, what I thought was a one year move may have to shift longer (if for anything else the fact that if my daughter settles in well and builds a great group of friends, will be hard to pull her away from that). At least I don't have high mello where I live.  I do think as she ages the benefits of private probably diminish because the public schools around here all have such diverse curriculums and provide tons of opportunities for students to excel, especially where they have distinct interests (say science or math or art, whatever it is). 

Bullsback said:
I do think as she ages the benefits of private probably diminish because the public schools around here all have such diverse curriculums and provide tons of opportunities for students to excel, especially where they have distinct interests (say science or math or art, whatever it is). 

Agreed. I actually think that private elementary is more important than private high school.  The elementary years shape who you are as a student - not just smarts, but work ethic, passion, curiosity, how to learn, etc.

I think TUSD will open. I just don't think the parents will be happy after the first couple weeks.  Those that want their kids out of the house and in school (for elementary) won't be happy with the only 2:20 of time.  Those that want the "better" in person instruction are going to be completely frustrated by their kid's class still being split on screen and in person.  Wednesday will still be 100% virtual.  Then teachers are going to need to juggle those that choose or are required to stay home with those that attend. A sizable percentage in the responses indicated they're staying out.

TUSD Elementary starts in one week.

That 2:20 will end up being probably closer to 1:45 of instruction time. They drop off and exit protocols will eat into their 2:20.

My wife shot down the private school ideal again so we started supplementing with Kumon.

nosuchreality said:
I think TUSD will open. I just don't think the parents will be happy after the first couple weeks.  Those that want their kids out of the house and in school (for elementary) won't be happy with the only 2:20 of time.  Those that want the "better" in person instruction are going to be completely frustrated by their kid's class still being split on screen and in person.  Wednesday will still be 100% virtual.  Then teachers are going to need to juggle those that choose or are required to stay home with those that attend. A sizable percentage in the responses indicated they're staying out.

I think this is spot on. No one will be happy. I know feeling bad for teachers is an unpopular opinion but I do feel for them.  It's not easy juggling both in person and online teaching/prep especially at the elementary level where there is a variety of subjects you have to teach and huge differences in each kids abilities.  It is a lot of work.

bones said:
nosuchreality said:

I think this is spot on. No one will be happy. I know feeling bad for teachers is an unpopular opinion but I do feel for them.  It's not easy juggling both in person and online teaching/prep especially at the elementary level where there is a variety of subjects you have to teach and huge differences in each kids abilities.  It is a lot of work.

I imagine at the elementary level, in person learning will be with the teacher and home online learning will be with a teacher's aide.

After 48,299 COVID-19 Cases at 37 US Universities ? Only 2 Hospitalizations and ZERO Deaths ? More Likely to Be Killed By a Dog

Attachments

• university-numbers-covid.png
    university-numbers-covid.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 139
Man get out of here with cold hard facts. You can?t bring this kind of data to an Internet forum  :)

Our kids have been in school since July. No issues at all. I?m with you.

I?m just waiting for the craziness to start with the cold/flu season because everyone will just assume it?s covid. Local public Schools will be back all remote by mid November at the latest

Leave em at school...that's what they are there for...By the time they get home for Thanksgiving they will be over it..

Back