coronavirus

I got the bug (likely BA.5) this past weekend.

Friday: woke up with an itchy throat but felt fine otherwise. Went to Irvine Spectrum in the afternoon, felt bad lower back pain, and was really winded walking around. I got home and had a fever of 100.7. Took an at-home test and it was negative.
Saturday: Woke up with a headache and still had a fever of around 100. Took another test and was negative.
Sunday: Felt a little better but had congestion and a noticeable change in my voice. Took another test and it returned positive - with a bright red line almost immediately.

Today, the fever has seemed to have gone away but I still have congestion and headache. I've been taking some cough syrup and decongestant at night and I think that has made my symptoms milder. I have 2 doses of Moderna and got boosted in January. Tracing back the last few days - high likelihood I got it at Costco or at a baseball game (outdoor - but packed).

best_potsticker_in_town said:
I got the bug (likely BA.5) this past weekend.

Friday: woke up with an itchy throat but felt fine otherwise. Went to Irvine Spectrum in the afternoon, felt bad lower back pain, and was really winded walking around. I got home and had a fever of 100.7. Took an at-home test and it was negative.
Saturday: Woke up with a headache and still had a fever of around 100. Took another test and was negative.
Sunday: Felt a little better but had congestion and a noticeable change in my voice. Took another test and it returned positive - with a bright red line almost immediately.

Today, the fever has seemed to have gone away but I still have congestion and headache. I've been taking some cough syrup and decongestant at night and I think that has made my symptoms milder. I have 2 doses of Moderna and got boosted in January. Tracing back the last few days - high likelihood I got it at Costco or at a baseball game (outdoor - but packed).

Seems like the way I caught it back in May, when the mask mandate was dropped. Several people in my group had lunch together on a Monday. One person probably caught it during the weekend and passed it to the others. One person in that lunch group is my cube neighbor. He wasn't infected, but probably passed it to me. I was still wearing mask when I left my cube but took it off when I sat down in the cube.

So the Monday, I had 100.6 fever when I got home. Took rapid test kit and it was negative. I took Advil and fever went away 4 hours later before I went to bed.
Tuesday morning I felt perfectly fine and took rapid test kit again and it came back negative again. Even with mask mandate dropped, our company still required negative results on rapid test kit twice a week (Tuesday and Thursday). So I went to the office. I had fever again (100.5) and slight headache when I was driving home. This time, fever didn't go away when I went to sleep. Was still 99.8.
Wednesday morning, I still had fever (99.2) and took rapid test kit again. This time it came back positive.
Thursday, still had fever and now I was getting throat ache as well.
Fever went away on Friday, but my throat was aching for a few days. Also had congestion for a few days and very slight headache for a day or two.

All in all, the symptoms were mild. I had my two Pfizer does in April/May and Pfizer booster in December.

irvinehomeowner said:
Indoor mask mandates may have to go back into effect in LA County... be careful out there.

We've been getting COVID infection email every day last week. That hasn't happened since the peak. This is after the mask mandate went back into effect after we had that sudden increase back in May.

Almost everyone seems to have had this virus at one point. If not, they're not surprised to get it any time soon and get over with.

Mety said:
Almost everyone seems to have had this virus at one point. If not, they're not surprised to get it any time soon and get over with.
Like we did?.sweet, sweet natural immunity. ;D ;D >:D

Sweet sweet natural immunity?.he now admits it

National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Dr. Anthony Fauci on Monday said health officials knew during the COVID-19 pandemic that contracting the disease ultimately offered a degree of natural immunity to it.

?We were always aware that if you get infected, you have a degree of protection against reinfection,? he told reporters

Critics of Fauci?s push for nationwide vaccinations long argued that natural immunity offered protection against the virus and thus individuals who contracted COVID-19 didn?t need to opt for one of the nation?s authorized vaccines.
https://justthenews.com/politics-po...s-were-always-aware-natural-immunity-covid-19

Who ever doubted you got a degree of protection?

But you keep implying that covid-induced immunity was is better than vaccinations despite the fact that reinfection is possible regardless.

This is just a tabloid post without any substance.

Over a dozen folks (friends/clients) that I know got Covid in the past month but all of them had very mild symptoms and were totally fine in a few days.  Described it as basically a head cold.  Even though it is more contagious it seems like the newer variants are not as lethal (maybe there is a trade-off between being more contagious and less lethal). 

USCTrojanCPA said:
Over a dozen folks (friends/clients) that I know got Covid in the past month but all of them had very mild symptoms and were totally fine in a few days.  Described it as basically a head cold.  Even though it is more contagious it seems like the newer variants are not as lethal (maybe there is a trade-off between being more contagious and less lethal). 

Ours was more like two days of sinus infection with mono.

That said, while we are fine it?s killing somebody at 4x the rate of peak flu in June and July.

nosuchreality said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Ours was more like two days of sinus infection with mono.

That said, while we are fine it?s killing somebody at 4x the rate of peak flu in June and July.

People that died from covid itself, or that happened to have covid when they died from something else?

I think Akula1488 and Mety were screaming this for the last few years?.turns out?they were right?.

CDC Claims Link Between Heart Inflammation and COVID-19 Vaccines Wasn?t Known for Most of 2021

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has claimed that there was no known association between heart inflammation and COVID-19 vaccines as late as October 2021.

CDC officials made the claim, which is false, in response to a Freedom of Information Act request for reports from a CDC team that is focused on analyzing the risk of post-vaccination myocarditis and pericarditis, two forms of heart inflammation. Both began to be detected at higher-than-expected rates after COVID-19 vaccination in the spring of 2021.

The team focuses on studying data from the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), a passive surveillance system co-run by the CDC and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The date range for the search was April 2, 2021, to Oct. 2, 2021.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/exclusive-cdc-claims-link-between-heart-inflammation-and-covid-19-vaccines-wasnt-known-for-most-of-2021_4638716.html?utm_source=partner&utm_campaign=TheLibertyDaily

While Epoch times is considered right wing, they actually have anti communist China orgins...if they publish this kind of articles that goes against the agenda pushed by the US government, what does that tell you about our governments true intentions and their allegience?

COVID-19 can affect the heart

COVID-19 has a spectrum of potential heart manifestations with diverse mechanisms
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abe2813

370_408_f1.jpeg

The heart thing has been addressed many times.  The vaccine poses a risk, the virus, even in the young, poses a much higher risk.

The operative question now is how much risk does Omi-5 pose to vaxxed, unvaxxed, etc.

For long covid, seems like they're saying 1 in 8 will get long covid symptoms regardless of severity of initial infection.

And with that the CDC quietly admits that sweet, sweet natural immunity is real?

CDC drops quarantine, distancing recommendations for COVID

NEW YORK (AP) ? The nation?s top public health agency relaxed its COVID-19 guidelines Thursday, dropping the recommendation that Americans quarantine themselves if they come into close contact with an infected person.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also said people no longer need to stay at least 6 feet away from others.

The changes, which come more than 2 1/2 years after the start of the pandemic, are driven by a recognition that an estimated 95% of Americans 16 and older have acquired some level of immunity, either from being vaccinated or infected, agency officials said.
https://apnews.com/article/covid-science-health-pandemics-public-ace8870b5e4ac4500aa06964db0544b8

We just got back from the UK (a two week trip which was supposed to include Paris via channel).  At the beginning of our trip, we all got tested positive for Covid (testing was requirement to get on the Eurostar train to Paris).  We think we got it on the airplane there (no masking, the flight attendants were using dirty trays to pick up dirty utensils, then bringing out clean utensils to pass out on the same crusted tray, plus the restrooms were never cleaned - Virgin Atlantic - service was always with a smile, but no Covid clean protocol there and only 10 % passengers masked up). Mine was mild (just one day of fever, headache, sore throat, body aches then just fatigue for a few days - took a lot of vitamins the first few days which I think helped my recovery) but we all decided to isolate in the hotel room until we tested negative since we did not want to infect other travelers and ruin their vacation as well.  Took us all about 8-10 days to test negative.  We just ordered room service everyday.  Meanwhile, we heard from the hallway some people talking about testing positive so I am sure other people tested positive in our hotel (about 5000 rooms). 

I was curious about the local rules for quarantine, and turns out that it is very loose.  If you are a student, you can go back after 3 days and testing negative is not required.  If you are a worker, you can choose to quarantine for 5 days while working from home.  Again testing negative is not required to get back to the office (some language on how it is a policy decision to get workers back to work).  They do recommend that you mask up if near vulnerable people like the elderly or immune-compromised.  It seemed to me that all of this was at the person's discretion. 

Once we tested negative, we went out to a restaurant.  The manager/host seated us, then was looking at his phone, swiping away.  Then he went to grab bread and butter but used his hands (no washing hands) to grab the slices of bread.  This is an upscale hip restaurant near Spitafields.  Funny how some customers (all Asians) came in with masks but had no idea this guy was grabbing the bread with his unclean hands.

Then we went to a nice Mexican restaurant for take away.  The hostess/to-go waitress was drinking and eating with her hands while she got our food.  She proceeded to grab the chips with her hands and placed them in our to go boxes.  Didn't wash her hands before etc. 

No one wears masks except for some elderly and some tourist (Asian tourists almost all wore masks). 

Compared to California, it seemed like the wild west out there.

And another anecdote from my friend who went on a cruise this summer in Europe.  She and her friend tested positive during the cruise.  She said the cruise company didn't ask them to quarantine.  She had very bad congestion, cough and sore throat but no fever or body aches.  She wore a mask and joined in on all the excursions which may or may not have included eating out.  She said that she was so exhausted after the excursions that she went to sleep after getting back to her room.  She also said it took her two months to get over her cough. 

So with things being looser, more Covid positive people will be allowed to go about their daily business whether they have symptoms or not.  A personal decision to mask indoors seems like a good idea until Covid really becomes like a cold (and without the common Covid symptom of weeks long fatigue) since you may encounter a person who is Covid positive with cough, etc.

Back