coronavirus

I went back to read this thread and I really am shocked at how na?ve some of these posts were.

Now that we are deep in it and some of us have actually experienced a close death from this virus... should we have locked down? Do you think we could have taken this kind of infection rate and number of deaths starting back in March and just escalating from there?

Now that you have some hindsight, instead of modeling... weren't the scientists and medical professionals right? Do any of you know anyone who works in a hospital? It's crazy there.

Personally, it means my niece is going to grow up without her mom. And why? Because of people who don't take it seriously because they claim no one around them is affected. People who refuse to understand the data. People who don't follow proper safety protocols. People who don't worry because they can afford better care than others.

This is why the US is so bad at containing this thing... elitism, privilege and selfishness. The numbers are staggering, record cases and deaths each day, ICUs are full... may you never have to know the pain others who have lost feel... change your mind now before some type of grief changes it for you. A close family member of mine was like some of you here... to a point where I refused to talk to them about this because they were so ignorant about it. They would post misinformation on Facebook... to a point where their posts got flagged and so they moved to Parler. And when our cousin died, they were still in denial... "Covid doesn't affect kidneys"... but now coming to grips with the incredible loss our niece is going to have to live with... their tune is changing. I hope some of you see the same thing.

Stay safe.

eyephone said:
This might be your answer why we are in a bad situation.
https://youtu.be/CCJrj7UIl34

I noticed no Republicans on TI want to admit the misinformation by Trump and others contributed to the covid spread.

It is one thing, if they tried and used the tools that they had. (such as distribute mask or subsidized masks, or sell the mask at cost) Then I would say, I think we tried our best to fight it. But that did not happen. They spent there time with the steal, false narratives, and blaming. Instead of being proactive and reactive.

irvinehomeowner said:
I went back to read this thread and I really am shocked at how na?ve some of these posts were.

Now that we are deep in it and some of us have actually experienced a close death from this virus... should we have locked down? Do you think we could have taken this kind of infection rate and number of deaths starting back in March and just escalating from there?

I went back and looked through too.  What really struck me is how political the discussion was right out of the gate. The other detail is how much of the problems that convoluted the situation then, still are with us today.

I do wonder if we had gone easier, if we would be in better place.  JIMHO, between botched test protocols and 50,000 foot reactive Government declarations with no follow-up or what comes after plan, we're in a bad spot.  Lack of leadership pure and simple, every state, every locale bucking to do their plan.  Let's shutter vast segments of life with no plan to address when they reopened and how to bridge people through the chaos, or buy groceries, or pay the rent.  And then the panic statements from Government, we all remember Newsom's 25 Million infected by May rationale.  State and Politician behaviors really reinforced partisan lines.

At 400,000 dead, probably another 100,000 in the next month, the ugly is just getting started  Grim as it sounds, what's the over/under on the John Hopkins daily briefing exceeding 500,000 dead on Valentines day? Unfortunately that does seem to be were the bar projection will be next week.

That's with some pretty draconian government actions that, IMHO, where done pretty half assed and ineffectively.  All while maybe what we really just needed was people maintaining distance, masking up, washing up and limiting indoor or crowded exposure.  I really do wonder if we went easy, recommending people dine outside, businesses limit capacity, etc and emphasized strong recommendation for people to mask, wash, distance and reduce exposure to limit the spread if we'd have better compliance.

We done so much, yet we really haven't.  Really.  Half the States, half closing restaurants? 2/3rds of the people in compliant states reliably wearing masks, maybe 1/3rd in the denial States.  How much worse would numbers be if we did nothing?  If half are basically doing nothing, aren't really doing nothing?

Any discussion about the Age skew or comorbidities was immediately gored in the infowar as partisan talking point.  My niece is a 20 healthy college athlete, Covid is much more likely than the flu to kill her and still very improbable.  My mother is the other end of that, some 200X more likely to die than my niece.

Maybe a 65+ bubble would have been better.

Where are we at today?  It could be better, no doubt.  Honestly not sure if we could made it worse by having done less? Not many of us not going to restaurants would be going if they were open.  Those that were going, are going anyway.  Those observing safety protocols would probably be observing them if the weren't required.  Those that aren't maybe would if they didn't have too and felt it was a us versus them thing.

And yes, I still think the flu is a nasty killer.

The Telegraph: Almost a third of recovered Covid patients return to hospital in five months and one in eight die

Almost a third of recovered Covid patients will end up back in hospital within five months and one in eight will die, alarming new figures have shown.

Research by Leicester University and the Office for National Statistics (ONS) found there is a devastating long-term toll on survivors of severe coronavirus, with many people developing heart problems, diabetes and chronic liver and kidney conditions.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/almost-third-recovered-covid-patients-180255388.html

SANTA BARBARA COUNTY HAS HIGHEST COVID-19 SPREAD IN CALIFORNIA

New state data shows Santa Barbara County has the highest rate of COVID-19 spread out of any other county in California.

Public health officials reminded the community to vaccinate when it's their turn, wear a mask, keep their distance from others, wash their hands, stop gathering, and leave your home only for essential needs.
https://www.edhat.com/news/santa-barbara-county-has-highest-covid-19-spread-in-california

It?s everywhere!

Maybe someone knows this, but are the mutated strains because we don't have this under control yet?

If we didn't lockdown and let this spread like wildfire like it's currently doing... would we have seen more mutations earlier?

Does flattening the curve also flatten the mutations?

Biden inheriting nonexistent coronavirus vaccine distribution plan and must start 'from scratch,' sources say
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/politics/biden-covid-vaccination-trump/index.html

From the article it seems there was nothing to build upon. This would have been addressed if there was proper transition from Trump to Biden. This mud slinging or disinformation by Trump and unwillingness to cooperate with the transition in effect made the situation worse for the American Public.

eyephone said:
Biden inheriting nonexistent coronavirus vaccine distribution plan and must start 'from scratch,' sources say
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/politics/biden-covid-vaccination-trump/index.html

From the article it seems there was nothing to build upon. This would have been addressed if there was proper transition from Trump to Biden. This mud slinging or disinformation by Trump and unwillingness to cooperate with the transition in effect made the situation worse for the American Public.

So if there was NO vaccine plan...where did all these vaccines come from?  Thin air?  Biden conjure them yesterday? My 90 year old mom got an appointment Monday morning in San Diego and was stuck by that afternoon.  Worked pretty well for a non-existence distribution...go figure.

morekaos said:
eyephone said:

So if there was NO vaccine plan...where did all these vaccines come from?  Thin air?  Biden conjure them yesterday? My 90 year old mom got an appointment Monday morning in San Diego and was stuck by that afternoon.  Worked pretty well for a non-existence distribution...go figure.

They probably just allocated set amounts to each state and let them deal with it on a state level.

GenericIrvineResident said:
morekaos said:
eyephone said:

They probably just allocated set amounts to each state and let them deal with it on a state level.

Exactly, Trumps plan was to allocate to the states and let each state distribute it according to their needs and policies.  Californias is such a mess because the Boy King is prioritizing prisoners, homeless and using race to determine who gets stuck.  DeSantis in FL is getting it out there pretty efficiently.  We are mired in bureaucracy and snowflakeism so our distribution is hobbled.  Predictable.

morekaos said:
GenericIrvineResident said:
morekaos said:
eyephone said:

Exactly, Trumps plan was to allocate to the states and let each state distribute it according to their needs and policies.  Californias is such a mess because the Boy King is prioritizing prisoners, homeless and using race to determine who gets stuck.  DeSantis in FL is getting it out there pretty efficiently.  We are mired in bureaucracy and snowflakeism so our distribution is hobbled.  Predictable.

Morekas just failed to say that people flying from other countries getting the vaccine in Florida. But how about Americans? Tourism is more important? Also, the story about many seniors camping out overnight to get a vaccine is a disaster. (First come first serve, so you got to wait in line Black Friday style, yo)

I think it's safe to say that no state is doing particularly remarkable with this vaccine effort. They're all running around like headless chicken.

Having some sort of centralized direction could help.

Thank you Boy King...no matter how dark it is...keep pulling down the shades.... ;D ;) >:D

Did shutting down outdoor dining spur California's COVID-19 surge? Experts say the ban forced people to gather at homes and caused the virus to spread even faster - as more than 50 restaurateurs SUE Governor Newsom over loss of business
Newsom implemented outdoor dining ban for California in early December
Since then, new coronavirus cases and deaths have surged across the state
Experts fear that the ban has led more people to gather indoors at their homes
California is one of the states with a climate for outdoor dining in the winter
Officials admitted that they had no evidence linking outdoor dining to infections
Furious restaurateurs file suit calling the ban 'arbitrary, irrational, and unfair'
Newsom says his order saved lives and prevented medical system collapse
[url]https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9172369/Did-shutting-outdoor-dining-spur-Californias-COVID-19-surge.html[/url]

So I agree that small group outdoor dining with social distancing is probably safer... but you forget holiday gatherings that started from Thanksgiving to New Year's were actually what led to the surge.

In NorCal outdoor dinning was not looking like outdoor dining anymore past September as it got much colder. You were ending eating in a fully enclosed tent in most cases.

And the outdoor dining ban was avoided by every restaurants in my area: they would not serve you outside but you were free to use their outside amenities once you picked up your food.

See...new words but nothing really changes...

Joe Biden promises a 'wartime effort' to beat Covid as he unveils plan for a million vaccinations a day - before it emerges his target is barely 10 PER CENT more than what Trump had already achieved
President Joe Biden is signed 10 executive orders Thursday on tackling COVID
He already signed an order mandating that masks are worn in federal buildings and one for interstate travel including planes will follow
'I?m asking every American to mask up for the next 100 days'
Administration plans to open 100 vaccination centers, plus push vaccines into pharmacies
It is targeting 100 million shots in 100 days - but distribution under Trump's Operation Warp Speed has already been beset by problems
More than 35.9 million doses have been manufactured but just about half - 16.5 million - have been distributed

[url]https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9173645/Joe-Biden-summons-national-scale-war-time-effort-beat-coronavirus.html[/url]

Back