coronavirus

That?s awful news IHO so sorry.  :(

I know we don?t personally know you but sometimes feels like we?re extended family here and this one hit much harder than just reading about someone online.

Take care and God Bless, my friend.

Not sure if it's weird I'm thanking posts for condolences so I just want to tell everyone that I appreciate your posts.

Still a bit surreal for us right now.

Ktla: Rep. Michelle Steel tests positive for coronavirus after questioning need for mask mandate in Orange County

California Rep. Michelle Steel has tested positive for coronavirus, her office announced Wednesday.

The newly elected Orange County, California, Republican said in a statement that she learned had been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. Steel, 65, said she had no symptoms but had a test out of an abundance of caution. It came back positive for the virus.

Last spring Steel questioned the need for a countywide mask mandate. But she later changed course and endorsed face coverings in public.
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/re...oning-need-for-mask-mandate-in-orange-county/

Yes, we know who she is. She was the Chairwoman for the OC supervisors. She questioned the need for countywide mask mandate. She is now the Congress woman that represents Costa Mesa and tested positive for covid per ktla article.

irvinehomeowner said:
Not sure if it's weird I'm thanking posts for condolences so I just want to tell everyone that I appreciate your posts.

I think the best we can do right now. Is to convince our friends and family to wear a mask. This should be routine like brushing your teeth, putting on your glasses l, etc..

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I think the best we can do right now. Is to convince our friends and family to wear a mask. This should be routine like brushing your teeth, putting on your glasses l, etc..

No, the best you can do is to convince them to stay home for the next month. 

Trips out really need to be essential at this point.  The UK variant is here. Spread is rampant.  We have crested 4000 dead a day, the CDC projects 77,000 in the next three weeks, 0% icu capacity, O2 rationing, field hospitals and makeshift morgues to handle the dead body overflow.

Mask up yes, what?s really needed now is people staying home to break the transmission chain.

nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

No, the best you can do is to convince them to stay home for the next month. 

Trips out really need to be essential at this point.  The UK variant is here. Spread is rampant.  We have crested 4000 dead a day, the CDC projects 77,000 in the next three weeks, 0% icu capacity, O2 rationing, field hospitals and makeshift morgues to handle the dead body overflow.

Mask up yes, what?s really needed now is people staying home to break the transmission chain.

I agree but not everybody has the luxury to work from home. Also, some people need to buy food from the market or from food places.
Until people change, we are going to be in a shi7hole. Thanks to others.
Maybe someday they will have the guts to stand up to their own party and say stop this no mask nonsense.

One thing I'm struggling to reconcile with the pandemic and a libertarian outlook is that we don't have a way to penalize bad actors. To me, you can't have a libertarian ideal freedom without self-responsibility or everything falls apart.

If someone spreads the virus unknowingly in a way that leads to death, is that manslaughter? If someone comes into your business, takes off their mask, starts coughing, and infects people, do you have a right to self-defense? Is a restaurant that is allowing indoor dining, promises a certain level of health procedures (e.g. claims to mandate social distancing but it isn't enforced at all), and fails to deliver on them negligent in a way that can lead to damages?

I had been curious as to how the approach for the 2nd dose of the covid vaccine was being managed.  I had assumed if you got the first dose they would be saving a second dose somewhere for you since that is how the studies were done.

Today I saw a headline that Biden will send out all available doses to speed up the rollout. He is getting criticized that about the approach. So there would be no guarantee there is second dose three weeks later.

I?ve read that one dose of the Pfizer vaccine would provide 50% efficacy. And I believe a 50% dose of the moderna vaccine three weeks apart has the same efficacy as the 100% dose two weeks apart so there were discussions of reducing the moderna dosage (but that is not how the studies were done).

I guess I would rather have some dosage of a vaccine vs no dosage at all. But this could create even more doubt in peoples minds about taking the vaccine and perhaps backfire.

Would you guys get a shot now with no guarantee of a second one? Or would you wait until you know you will get the two doses spaded three weeks apart?

I will happily take a first dose right now, are you kidding?

I'm refreshing the hell out of the OC Health Care Agency's website*. Our doctors, nurses, medical assistants, etc are still without access to vaccines, still without any messaging from government authorities on when, and are still seeing patients in person at the clinic.https://twitter.com/ochealth/status/1347385729874231299

Here's an article from WSJ on how vaccines have generally not been available to private practices:
Covid-19 Vaccines Remain Elusive for Many Doctors, Health Care Workers; More than half of U.S. physicians aren't employed by a hospital, which makes it difficult to get vaccinated
Cynthia Crawford-Green, a Maryland cardiologist, checked the vitals of a patient on Thursday. Like many doctors she has had trouble getting vaccinated for the coronavirus. PHOTO: Alyssa Schukar for The Wall Street Journal
Eligible health-care workers are getting Covid-19 vaccinations across the country, with many now receiving their second doses. But a large swath of private doctors and health workers not associated with a hospital system say they are struggling to locate the shots.
Many say they lack information about how or when they might acquire the vaccine. Others have spent hours calling public-health authorities, hospitals and colleagues, sharing information on Facebook and even tweeting at medical associations in search of answers.
"Do they even know we exist?" asked Kevin Schmidt, a self-employed physical therapist in Oregon who says he has received no information about the vaccine from either the government or trade groups.
Most doctors and front-line staff affiliated with hospitals have received shots, but many physicians and front-line workers at independent practices have been left in limbo, according to Anders Gilberg, senior vice president of government affairs for the Medical Group Management Association. About 54% of doctors in the U.S. work at physician-owned private practices, according to the American Medical Association.
The U.S. is weeks into a massive vaccination program that health officials say must proceed as rapidly as possible if the country is to forestall more deaths from Covid-19 and return life to something resembling normalcy. But as guidance from the federal government is implemented differently at the state, local and even facility levels, it is slowing the process and sowing confusion among those seeking the vaccine.
Hospitals have prepared for months for the vaccination onslaught, working hand-in-hand with state health authorities while creating scheduling systems, protocols and prioritization lists for who among their staff should be vaccinated first.
"It's hard to talk about it without getting emotional," said Becky Fox, chief nursing informatics officer at Atrium Health in Charlotte, N.C. Atrium has vaccinated more than 10,000 people, including Ms. Fox. "Yesterday, I got to vaccinate my mom," she said.
Meanwhile, those in private and solo practice say they have been left in the dark. One doctor in Massachusetts discovered that in her state, unaffiliated doctors are in line behind first responders, a group that includes firefighters, police and emergency-medical service providers.
Kaveri Karhade, a California dermatologist with offices in San Francisco and Santa Clara counties who isn't associated with a medical system, said she called hospitals in both counties to try to get a vaccine and was turned away. Meanwhile, her physician's assistant sister-in-law in San Diego called a nearby hospital and was told to come down to get vaccinated.
In various Facebook groups Dr. Karhade belongs to, unaffiliated doctors have been sharing information about how to sign up to get vaccinated and swapping sometimes-conflicting information about the process across counties.
"For those in Contra Costa and Alameda Counties, I just got an email with info regarding getting the Covid-19 vaccine if unaffiliated with a hospital. Hope the link works!" posted one doctor. Others responded that it wasn't possible to get vaccinated yet in their counties or that they needed a password they hadn't received.
"It doesn't make sense that every county is different from each other," said Dr. Karhade. She said her work performing procedures related to skin abnormalities often means she spends lengthy periods with unmasked patients. "I have a 4-month-old baby at home, and my two older parents."
While the federal government has provided guidance to states about which groups to prioritize for the vaccine, how to locate and get the word out to those groups has fallen to local communities, to varying degrees of sophistication and success.
The Department of Health and Human Services in Montgomery County, Md., will soon receive doses for health-care workers not affiliated with hospitals, said spokeswoman Mary Anderson. But finding the workers and informing them about vaccine distribution has been scattershot.
Ms. Anderson's staff?already dealing with staffing both testing and vaccination sites?sent a letter to the county medical society, hoping to inform its roughly 1,600 members. They put a link on the health department's vaccine page and are trying to get a full list of licensed physicians from the state licensing board, along with a distribution list?so far without luck.
Her staff also is locating urgent-care offices, dialysis centers and other private health facilities with Internet searches and fielding phone calls and emails from health-care workers unsure about where to turn.
"We've had a bit of a challenge," she said.
The department is asking people to bring a work ID or document from their employer to prove they are a health-care worker, she said, after a nearby hospital discovered that more than 2,000 people who weren't health-care workers had signed up for vaccine appointments. Hospital staff had shared the internal link with friends and family, she said.
Cynthia Crawford-Green, a cardiologist with a solo practice in nearby Prince George's County, Md., said she spent 30 minutes over the weekend trying to figure out how to get vaccinated. Friends associated with major hospitals are all getting vaccinated, she added.
Dr. Crawford-Green said friends associated with big hospitals have been given the vaccine while she has struggled to be inoculated. PHOTO: Alyssa Schukar for The Wall Street Journal
"We're right in our nation's capital and the distribution has been awful for unaffiliated physicians," Dr. Crawford-Green said. "It's kind of like unless you are a part of any medical corporations around here, you're invisible. The rest of us are like, what's next?"
On Wednesday, she received an email about two vaccination time slots available in a Maryland county where she no longer practices. She signed up but may not make it since it is during her workday?another obstacle for medical workers who can't be vaccinated at their place of work.
Lauren Hedde, a primary-care physician in Rhode Island who isn't affiliated with a hospital, said she has been frustrated to see that non-patient-facing workers at hospitals are getting the vaccines while she and others like her stand by.
A spokesman for the Rhode Island Department of Health said the state is focusing on the highest-risk settings and occupations.
"So the IT guy at the hospital is higher risk than a primary-care physician testing Covid-positive patients?" Dr. Hedde said. "This type of reply is difficult to swallow."
Holy Cross Health in Florida's Broward County opened its doors to vaccinate health-care workers located outside the hospital. Gil Lichtshein, 52, a psychiatrist with offices in Boca Raton and Miami, said he heard about the vaccinations there from someone at the local college where he is a faculty member, arrived at 5:30 a.m. and found 20 people already were in front of him.
"When I was in line there were dentists, psychologists?behind me was a medical assistant," he said.
In Chicago, Rahul Khare, an emergency room doctor who owns Innovative Express Care, a private urgent-care chain with nine centers including four testing sites for Covid-19, said he has been unable to locate vaccines for his 300 front-line workers. His chain handles a daily flow of about 2,500 people getting tested for the coronavirus.
Dr. Khare said the city had asked him to fill out a form Dec. 15 to get his workers on a list to be vaccinated, but repeated calls to the city have gone unreturned. Earlier this week, one of his workers tested positive for Covid-19.
Andrew Buchanan, a spokesman for the Chicago Department of Public Health, said the city has created a web page that lays out the process and recently opened its first vaccination location for health workers outside of hospitals.
Dr. Khare said that after The Wall Street Journal contacted the city Wednesday night, a city official called him to say the vaccines would be on the way next week.
On Wednesday, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker announced that vaccinations would begin soon for the next tier, which includes first responders, education workers such as teachers and support staff, child-care workers, grocery store employees and postal service workers, but Dr. Khare said he has yet to learn how to vaccinate his employees who were eligible for the first doses.
"How horrible would it be if one of my employees got hospitalized or, God forbid, died, when we have access to the vaccine?" he said. "I have colleagues who are getting their second dose."

Come on the initial covid vaccine was botched. But you did not bring it up. But I will.

qwerty said:
I had been curious as to how the approach for the 2nd dose of the covid vaccine was being managed.  I had assumed if you got the first dose they would be saving a second dose somewhere for you since that is how the studies were done.

Today I saw a headline that Biden will send out all available doses to speed up the rollout. He is getting criticized that about the approach. So there would be no guarantee there is second dose three weeks later.

I?ve read that one dose of the Pfizer vaccine would provide 50% efficacy. And I believe a 50% dose of the moderna vaccine three weeks apart has the same efficacy as the 100% dose two weeks apart so there were discussions of reducing the moderna dosage (but that is not how the studies were done).

I guess I would rather have some dosage of a vaccine vs no dosage at all. But this could create even more doubt in peoples minds about taking the vaccine and perhaps backfire.

Would you guys get a shot now with no guarantee of a second one? Or would you wait until you know you will get the two doses spaded three weeks apart?

The FDA already rejected modified doses and schedules due to lack of data. 

That said, shot now.  Mainly in the hope that like the flu vaccine, if you caught it after the first dose, your severity would be less. 

IMHO, the goal is staying out of the hospital and not, not getting sick.

@eyephone - I didn?t even know the trump administration was holding back the second dose. I intentionally left that part out because I didn?t want this to go down the political rout. I was genuinely curious what people would do if there wasn?t a second dose that was guaranteed/available

I would think at 50% resistance to the virus (in it's present form.....) means that we're all still under quarantine.

It's an old analogy, but if you were flying to Hawaii and the pilot came over the speaker and said "Well, we've got good news! At least a 50% chance of making it to the Islands!".... would you still fly on that plane?

I'd rather see more of the vulnerable and the disadvantaged get 100% of the dose needed while those at a lower risk remain sheltered in place.

My .02c

They have plenty people that want and are eligible for the shots they have.  The rollout problem is purely an operational problem and not a who do we give shots to problem. JIMHO, expanding the offering will just make it worse.

qwerty said:
@eyephone - I didn?t even know the trump administration was holding back the second dose. I intentionally left that part out because I didn?t want this to go down the political rout. I was genuinely curious what people would do if there wasn?t a second dose that was guaranteed/available

I wasn?t talking about the 2nd shot. I was talking about the snail pace rollout. It can be the states fault. But it seems like no concrete guidelines from the federal to the states. Many states were giving it to the health workers and first responders and elderly. The special states wink wink, first come first serve and even the elite rich donors were getting it first. So you had elderly people camping out to get vaccinated, not an ideal situation. Yo
Put it this way this seemed like low priority on Trumps list. As he was trying to do everything to overturn the election. Something must be in that tax return or something idk.

qwerty said:

I certainly would get 1 dose now vs delaying for a guaranteed 2 dose regimen. The UK is embarking on the 1 dose strategy but the data is not there. Pfizer and Moderna vaccine studies show benefit after 1 dose but longer term protection and higher efficacy is not guaranteed. No one knows what delaying the 2nd dose will mean.

Fortunately my hospital is organized and set appointments 21 days after the initial dose. No line, no wait. That does not appear to be the case for non-hospital health care workers.

Ktla: Hundreds line up for COVID-19 vaccine in O.C. after state allows expanding access to more people

After California state officials expanded COVID-19 vaccine prioritization, hundreds lined up to get their doses in Anaheim Friday.

Aiming to speed up the slower-than-expected vaccine rollout, the California Department of Public Health on Thursday told local public health departments and providers to vaccinate lower priority groups when demand subsides or when doses are about to expire.

That meant that in addition to frontline health care workers, people working in primary care clinics, specialty clinics, laboratories, dental clinics and pharmacies can get the vaccine.
https://ktla.com/news/hundreds-line...state-allows-expanding-access-to-more-people/

Back