coronavirus

I saw it that report this morning. Does it matter if you test positive for something a second time and the second time you don?t even know it?

At some point we will all be exposed to Covid. It will spread just like a cold or the flu. Except covid seems like it will be year round.

You just hope that by the time you are exposed you have been vaccinated are there are effective therapeutics.

qwerty said:
I saw it that report this morning. Does it matter if you test positive for something a second time and the second time you don?t even know it?

Uh yeah. It?s called asymptomatic spread and is an issue.

At some point we will all be exposed to Covid. It will spread just like a cold or the flu. Except covid seems like it will be year round.

You just hope that by the time you are exposed you have been vaccinated are there are effective therapeutics.

And that?s the problem. What this could mean is that vaccines may not be effective. The cold and flu are not as deadly so your comparison is moot.

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

And that?s the problem. What this could mean is that vaccines may not be effective. The cold and flu are not as deadly so your comparison is moot.

You are missing my point. At one point we will have been infected/exposed. So the second time someone gets exposed it won?t be a big deal especially if it doesn?t come with any symptoms.

And regarding the cold/flu, I?m just referring to the reinfection of people every year. Not the fatality of it. I know you and others can?t stand to see the words covid and flu but pay a little more attention next time. I?m going to go Lebron on you: do better next time IHO :)

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

Right now - that is true. The cold and flu have also had years of humanity developing some form of temporary immunity (and rapid bodily responses for treating). This is a new foreign invader (at least for some immune systems) and thus causes more material symptoms in a larger chunk of the population. Over time, we will have to see if we naturally develop stronger immune responses to it.  Can't make any definitive fact on this yet - just not enough data. There have been outliers on both side (people maybe getting it a 2nd time and having worse responses vs. a recent incident that was the opposite). 

Also hard because the early data where this happened was tricky - the diagnostic testing might have had false negatives and these individuals could have been a smaller subset of the population who survive COVID but have very more mid-term (or at least at this point mid-term...hopefully it doesn't become long term or permanent) continued issues and maybe even more serious symptoms later on.

But in the case of the flu - its mortality and hospitalization rates also benefit significantly from the fact that we have at least a partial vaccine for it - perfect, no, but certainly helps significantly. 

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

You are missing my point. At one point we will have been infected/exposed. So the second time someone gets exposed it won?t be a big deal especially if it doesn?t come with any symptoms.

We don't know from this one case if that's what happens to everyone. And... how do we know the 2nd strain that this person got, who is asymptomatic, unwittingly passes it on to someone and is fatal.

That's the problem... too many unknowns.

And regarding the cold/flu, I?m just referring to the reinfection of people every year. Not the fatality of it. I know you and others can?t stand to see the words covid and flu but pay a little more attention next time. I?m going to go Lebron on you: do better next time IHO :)

You can't ignore the fatality rate and say that reinfection will be okay. That's like saying it's okay to get HIV/AIDs because it's we have treatments that can prolong your life.

You keep saying you don't want to get Covid but then in another sentence say it will be okay if you get it. Make up your mind... I don't want it... I don't want it be 10 years down the road and I have lung, heart or brain problems because of Covid's long term effects. Maybe you did get it already because it's affecting how your brain works. :)

qwerty said:
So here we we about 6 months out from when covid started derailing ?elective? surgeries, including those related to cancer. Tell this guy his surgery was elective. His April cancer surgery was postponed and now his cancer is terminal. I?m guessing we will continue to hear more stories like this one.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/can...y-cancelled-terminal-diagnosis-170431554.html

Isn't that on the doctors not corona? There are a number of people who have had surgeries during this time (some even elective). This is on them and their physicians on what can be done... just like how you decide to go to the grocery store or send your kids to school.

I think you are like 0-78 on all these Covid arguments. :)

qwerty said:
So here we we about 6 months out from when covid started derailing ?elective? surgeries, including those related to cancer. Tell this guy his surgery was elective. His April cancer surgery was postponed and now his cancer is terminal. I?m guessing we will continue to hear more stories like this one.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/can...y-cancelled-terminal-diagnosis-170431554.html

Yup...

Doctors Worldwide Are Recording More Deaths Due to Lockdowns Than to COVID-19

A long-suspected fear of the Covid-19 lockdowns is starting to come to light. In many parts of the world doctors are pointing to a very real probability that lockdown orders are leading to people dying from other serious maladies as a result of avoiding hospitals. Heart attacks in particular are now looked at as a cause of death greater than the coronavirus itself.

Almost from the beginning of our pandemic lockdowns there have been questions raised over both the wisdom behind the decisions and the broad application of the quarantine orders. Recall early on that Americans were lectured about the necessity of a two-week lockdown ?to bend the curve,? yet with the death rate plunging, we still have many areas in the country under harsh restrictions.

https://townhall.com/columnists/bradslager/2020/08/20/doctors-worldwide-are-recording-more-deaths-due-to-lockdowns-than-to-covid19-n2574754

If someone has a heart attack or serious illness and you don't go to the hospital and want to avoid it or ignore it, then that person gets what they deserve for being a dumbass, it's their time to die since they didn't do anything about it.  >:D

If I feel like I'm sick enough and need to go to the drs or hospital I'm going coronavirus or not.  I still went every week when they opened back up a couple months ago.  My son had surgery a month and a half ago, but he could have waited 1/2 year or even a year if we wanted to...so stuff's being done, just have to take precautions and work with your doctors.

morekaos said:
qwerty said:

Yup...

Doctors Worldwide Are Recording More Deaths Due to Lockdowns Than to COVID-19

A long-suspected fear of the Covid-19 lockdowns is starting to come to light. In many parts of the world doctors are pointing to a very real probability that lockdown orders are leading to people dying from other serious maladies as a result of avoiding hospitals. Heart attacks in particular are now looked at as a cause of death greater than the coronavirus itself.

Almost from the beginning of our pandemic lockdowns there have been questions raised over both the wisdom behind the decisions and the broad application of the quarantine orders. Recall early on that Americans were lectured about the necessity of a two-week lockdown ?to bend the curve,? yet with the death rate plunging, we still have many areas in the country under harsh restrictions.

https://townhall.com/columnists/bradslager/2020/08/20/doctors-worldwide-are-recording-more-deaths-due-to-lockdowns-than-to-covid19-n2574754

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

Isn't that on the doctors not corona? There are a number of people who have had surgeries during this time (some even elective). This is on them and their physicians on what can be done... just like how you decide to go to the grocery store or send your kids to school.

I think you are like 0-78 on all these Covid arguments. :)

Thanks IHO, for pointing out that I can?t actually blame the virus itself. Of course it?s on the doctors and it?s on the governments and their reactions to Covid. Everything we are doing now could have been the original course of action. Instead they shut everything down, ruin family/small businesses, apparently their response is now killing people. I wrote on this forum whether we were exchanging one life for another and in some respects we were. Just like you say say it?s on them (those that needs surgery) and their doctor, isn?t it everyone?s responsibility to take care of themselves so they don?t catch covid?

If I?m not wearing a mask and you are, you can just avoid me altogether if you are concerned. If you catch covid it?s on you. You can have everything delivered, you can work from home. Just stay inside if you don?t want to catch covid. It?s on you right?

Shhh.. don?t tell nobody...

University of Alabama ordered faculty to keep quiet about COVID-19 outbreak: report

Administration officials at the University of Alabama reportedly instructed professors to keep quiet about the outbreak of more than 500 coronavirus cases, instructing them in an email not to tell their students if someone in a class tests positive.

The email, obtained by the Daily Beast, comes amid a massive rise in COVID-19 cases since classes resumed on Aug. 19 at the Tuscaloosa, Ala., school.
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...ama-ordered-faculty-to-keep-quiet-about-covid

University of Alabama now has more than 1,000 COVID-19 cases -- with nearly 500 in the past three days
https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.co...mid-coronavirus-pandemic-students/5655432002/

Sorry if it's already discussed, but wasn't there CDC saying only 6% of the death numbers in US is actually from Covid-19 alone while the rest 94% was with other complications like someone who already had 2 or 3 more diseases?

That comes out to be about 11,000 death from Covid-19 alone in the US which is still a big number, but that's a little bit less than the Swine Flu (so far) which was 12,469 deaths in the US.

The CDC was looking specifically at death certificates, not hospital records in this study.

The 6 percent figure is for deaths attributed for COVID-19 ONLY. The remainders all had COVID-19 AND at least an average of 2.6 other factors (Co-morbidities) that were a contributing factor in their deaths.

Example, a person could be infected and symptomatic with COVID-19, obese, diabetic, and over 60 - 3 factors, plus COVID 19 which all together in some fashion killed this person.

There's plenty of debate over the lethality of this virus, and it does not help the discussion on mortality rates when gunshot wounds or motorcycle crashes are listed as "suspected COVID-19" deaths. Junk data leads to junk conclusions which is where we find ourselves today.

My .02c

Mety said:
Sorry if it's already discussed, but wasn't there CDC saying only 6% of the death numbers in US is actually from Covid-19 alone while the rest 94% was with other complications like someone who already had 2 or 3 more diseases?

That comes out to be about 11,000 death from Covid-19 alone in the US which is still a big number, but that's a little bit less than the Swine Flu (so far) which was 12,469 deaths in the US.

No...6% is for those did with Covid as the sole cause of death listed.

The others had other conditions like diabetes and hypertension but that didnt mean they would have died but for the Covid. 

But the data on which all of this is based come from death certificates, which list any causes or conditions that contributed to a person?s death. In the case of COVID-19, the disease often causes other serious conditions, such as pneumonia or acute respiratory distress syndrome. Those two conditions are among the ailments with the highest counts in the CDC?s comorbidity chart. Some long-term conditions that increase the risk for severe COVID-19, such as diabetes or hypertension, were also listed.

The underlying cause of death, however, is the condition that started the chain of events that led to a person?s death. In 92% of all deaths that mention COVID-19, that disease is listed as the underlying cause of death, Jeff Lancashire, spokesman for the CDC?s National Center for Health Statistics, told FactCheck.org in an email
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/09/cdc-did-not-admit-only-6-of-recorded-deaths-from-covid-19/

Soylent Green Is People said:
The CDC was looking specifically at death certificates, not hospital records in this study.

The 6 percent figure is for deaths attributed for COVID-19 ONLY. The remainders all had COVID-19 AND at least an average of 2.6 other factors (Co-morbidities) that were a contributing factor in their deaths.

Example, a person could be infected and symptomatic with COVID-19, obese, diabetic, and over 60 - 3 factors, plus COVID 19 which all together in some fashion killed this person.

There's plenty of debate over the lethality of this virus, and it does not help the discussion on mortality rates when gunshot wounds or motorcycle crashes are listed as "suspected COVID-19" deaths. Junk data leads to junk conclusions which is where we find ourselves today.

My .02c

Very clear!

Irvinecommuter said:
Mety said:

No...6% is for those did with Covid as the sole cause of death listed.

The others had other conditions like diabetes and hypertension but that didnt mean they would have died but for the Covid. 

But the data on which all of this is based come from death certificates, which list any causes or conditions that contributed to a person?s death. In the case of COVID-19, the disease often causes other serious conditions, such as pneumonia or acute respiratory distress syndrome. Those two conditions are among the ailments with the highest counts in the CDC?s comorbidity chart. Some long-term conditions that increase the risk for severe COVID-19, such as diabetes or hypertension, were also listed.

The underlying cause of death, however, is the condition that started the chain of events that led to a person?s death. In 92% of all deaths that mention COVID-19, that disease is listed as the underlying cause of death, Jeff Lancashire, spokesman for the CDC?s National Center for Health Statistics, told FactCheck.org in an email
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/09/cdc-did-not-admit-only-6-of-recorded-deaths-from-covid-19/

Very clear! But how is it different than what I asked?

Mety said:
Very clear! But how is it different than what I asked?

Because Covid is what causes 180k+ people to die.  But for them getting the disease.. almost all of them would be alive.  They would still have those conditions but they would be alive.

The difference between chronic and acute conditions.  If a person get shot in the heart and had hemophilia...the hemophilia contributed to the death but get shot is what killed that person.

Have you seen the list of comorbidities they track?  About the only thing missing is having an ingrown toenail.

Across all US Adults roughy 2/3rds have one or more of the big three risk factors.  If you add in the extended list of issues that they check it goes up from there.  Never mind strong correlation for conditions with age.

You can spin the nothing to fear mantra but health issue describes the vast majority of US adults.

Back