Cambria @ Stonegate Grand Opening on Jan. 26th

ak said:
traceimage said:
This is so crazy but I actually went to the Cambria Grand Opening! Why, I dunno. We got there kind of late, so the random steel drum Caribbean-cruise-ship-style band and the hot chocolate station were wrapping up. There were still lots of people there, though. Mostly Asian and Indian. I think I saw like five white people...and one was my reflection in a mirror.

There was a lot of muttering about how Phase I had already sold out. This early selling was obviously a tactic to create hype and demand, but it seemed like it was working and making people crazy. We were just there for fun, because I enjoy looking at homes I have no intention of buying, and I like seeing the latest home design and decor trends. Also, my son and I hid in some closets and it really freaked people out when they opened the doors and saw us crouching in there. Har, har. My husband told me I was immature and went to go get a free bottle of water at that point. Whatever, what a killjoy.

Anyway, I thought the homes were small and apartment-y but decent, if you are looking for a smallish attached condo. I did think the master bathrooms were too large for the square footage of the homes, but that's always my complaint about new houses. I suppose everyone wants a rich person's bathroom, even if they can't afford a rich person's house.

Traceimage: As a white person, how do you and other Caucasians feel about all of the Asians in Irvine?  As an Asian myself, I'm concerned Irvine is becoming too Asian centric and it seems like other ethnic groups are voluntarily segregating themselves e.g. whites moving to So. O.C.  Any thoughts/comments?

I can only speak for myself, and I think my perspective might be skewed because my husband is Asian, but I think an influx of any one particular ethnic group (to the point where a city becomes an enclave of that one group) is not ideal.

SoCal said:
I seriously can not believe the comment about the blond saleslady! That one got to me. Imagine how she would feel reading this, being compared to a prostitute? And to think - FOUR men I've known a long time gave it a virtual high-5. Seriously?!?

I agree SoCal....

Come on guys!

traceimage said:
ak said:
traceimage said:
This is so crazy but I actually went to the Cambria Grand Opening! Why, I dunno. We got there kind of late, so the random steel drum Caribbean-cruise-ship-style band and the hot chocolate station were wrapping up. There were still lots of people there, though. Mostly Asian and Indian. I think I saw like five white people...and one was my reflection in a mirror.

There was a lot of muttering about how Phase I had already sold out. This early selling was obviously a tactic to create hype and demand, but it seemed like it was working and making people crazy. We were just there for fun, because I enjoy looking at homes I have no intention of buying, and I like seeing the latest home design and decor trends. Also, my son and I hid in some closets and it really freaked people out when they opened the doors and saw us crouching in there. Har, har. My husband told me I was immature and went to go get a free bottle of water at that point. Whatever, what a killjoy.

Anyway, I thought the homes were small and apartment-y but decent, if you are looking for a smallish attached condo. I did think the master bathrooms were too large for the square footage of the homes, but that's always my complaint about new houses. I suppose everyone wants a rich person's bathroom, even if they can't afford a rich person's house.

Traceimage: As a white person, how do you and other Caucasians feel about all of the Asians in Irvine?  As an Asian myself, I'm concerned Irvine is becoming too Asian centric and it seems like other ethnic groups are voluntarily segregating themselves e.g. whites moving to So. O.C.  Any thoughts/comments?

I can only speak for myself, and I think my perspective might be skewed because my husband is Asian, but I think an influx of any one particular ethnic group (to the point where a city becomes an enclave of that one group) is not ideal.

I had a feeling you were married to an Asian man.  Pretty rare to see a Caucasian family/couple buying a home in Irvine these days...

@AK:

There are only a handful here on Talk Irvine to my knowledge that are whites married to other whites... and all but 1 have dispersed to areas outside of Irvine. The rest have already left or never lived in Irvine. The last remaining couple I know of is planning to leave as well and is currently searching in South O.C. If you have any specific questions, fire away and I'll try my best to help... for what it's worth, my family is "DayGlo" white. I recently left Irvine to buy in South O.C. as well.

TI is a little microcosm of Irvine.

I go to a lot of open houses in Irvine... I do see caucasians occasionally... but it's in the older areas.

Can I coin the word "caucasionally"?

SoCal said:
@AK:

There are only a handful here on Talk Irvine to my knowledge that are whites married to other whites... and all but 1 have dispersed to areas outside of Irvine. The rest have already left or never lived in Irvine. The last remaining couple I know of is planning to leave as well and is currently searching in South O.C. If you have any specific questions, fire away and I'll try my best to help... for what it's worth, my family is "DayGlo" white. I recently left Irvine to buy in South O.C. as well.

TI is a little microcosm of Irvine.

Did you decide to move to So. O.C. for a particular reason vs. buying/staying in Irvine?  I hope I am wrong, but it seems as though Caucasians generally like to live amongst themselves and not mix in with other races.  Every area I know in So. Cal. starts out as predominately white, but as soon as another ethnic group starts to move in, usually it is the Caucasians that move out.  I would love to hear any insights or thoughts you might have on this from a white person's perspective.  Thanks.

SoCal said:
I seriously can not believe the comment about the blond saleslady! That one got to me. Imagine how she would feel reading this, being compared to a prostitute? And to think - FOUR men I've known a long time gave it a virtual high-5. Seriously?!?

C'mon SoCal lighten up!!  I don't think she was being compared to the prostitute. I interpreted the comment to mean that the sales lady was eye candy for the Asian men. That is a far cry from being a prostitute. This practice occurs everywhere. I talk to commercial and investment banks on a regular basis and there is always a hot woman on the team. You should see the gals at JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs.

ak said:
Did you decide to move to So. O.C. for a particular reason vs. buying/staying in Irvine?  I hope I am wrong, but it seems as though Caucasians generally like to live amongst themselves and not mix in with other races.  Every area I know in So. Cal. starts out as predominately white, but as soon as another ethnic group starts to move in, usually it is the Caucasians that move out.  I would love to hear any insights or thoughts you might have on this from a white person's perspective.  Thanks.

Living among Asians is perfectly fine. Being alone in a vast sea of Asians is different. Out of all non-white ethnicities, my husband and I agree that we would pick East Asians to live among if we had to choose. It's when you begin to feel like a visitor in your own country that it becomes an issue. It probably didn't help that we lived in one of the newest communities in Irvine where this is especially true. However, it's not so much about the populace being "Asian" as it is being Americanized.

Where I live now is still a diverse area. I can certainly think of whiter places to live. We have Asians. We have Indians. We have Persians. We have Brazilians. But we also have whites, too. It's a more comfortable balance. It's what Irvine used to be a decade+ ago.

Let's speak plainly. It is no longer debatable that Irvine is so-called "too" Asian. (When I say "too" Asian, I'm referring to the TI thread entitled: "Is Irvine Too Asian?") The new home communities in particular, have reached that tipping point years ago. Anyone who is just beginning to have it dawn on them is very late to the party. (You are wise for recognizing what's happening, by the way.) Look - - One third of all Asians in the U.S. live in California. Irvine is a hub. Anybody who buys in a new Irvine neighborhood now should be able to acknowledge that. They should be okay with it or even glad - as one Asian guy here on TI said a while back - can't remember which member it was. He was happy it's very Asian. That was the extra incentive for him rather than being a drawback. It's exactly what he wants.

It's not what I want. It's not what I'm willing to pay more for. It's not even what I'm willing to pay the same as, I realize now after having a taste of both areas. I would only consider buying in Irvine if the homes were considerably discounted because that's their worth to me. It's dense. It's congested. It's over-hyped. It's lonely being an American in Irvine.

I don't mind Asians, especially the hot Americanized ones. It's the fcb'ers who are not Americanized that create the cultural differences that push out the whites. Once I left my hometown I've always been one of the few, if not only Mexican in the neighborhood so I'm used to being the lone wolf. Just wandering withy dogs looking for a wolf pack. I'm Americanized myself so as long as people are Americanized I don't care what race/ethnicity they are.

P.S. I CAN understand a white person wanting to live in Irvine if that person is married to an Asian spouse. (Trace. Love you!) It would make more sense.

I could easily imagine if I had an Asian husband and he insisted we live there. Then whatever he wants is what we would do. I go where he goes. If I couldn't convince him to live in my white world (kidding) then Irvine would be acceptable - not because I believe the homes are a smart buy but for cultural reasons.

My next husband is going to be Asian! So, we'll seeeee!  ;)

I've been in Irvine for 12 years now...and being Asian who use to live among mostly whites, it is definitely strange to be in the majority versus minority.  Every city I lived in was predominately white, so this is definitely a culture shock for me too.  I'm not use to walking into Ralphs and seeing mostly Asian folks.  I expect that going to 99 Ranch Market or Mitsuwa...which ironically Mitsuwa had more white folks in there one day. 

qwerty said:
C'mon SoCal lighten up!!  I don't think she was being compared to the prostitute. I interpreted the comment to mean that the sales lady was eye candy for the Asian men. That is a far cry from being a prostitute. This practice occurs everywhere. I talk to commercial and investment banks on a regular basis and there is always a hot woman on the team. You should see the gals at JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs.

"fully service the clients walking through your doors" - "that is what the blonde agent is for"

"Fully service the clients" to you means... ogling?? See, to me, the "joke" is she's a blond bimbo which is a pretty typical thing to say. In a post before that the poor lady was already characterized as an airhead who gets defensive with clients because she doesn't know her stuff like men do. I didn't complain about that one.

I still think it infers more than you think it does but if that's what it meant to you, so be it. Fair enough. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, I whole-heartedly agree with you the practice of which you speak DOES occur. I know for an absolute fact, from personal experience, it does.

irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
My next husband is going to be Asian!
Hah... poor qwerter... dq'ed by ethnicity.

Iho, what does DQ'ed mean? I had to look it up and this is what I got:

"When you go to Dairy Queen and dip your fist in the butterscotch hard shell, wait for it to dry, then punch someone in the face thereby shattering the shell of butterscotch goodness all over them.
-Yo i totally dairy queened that bitch."

Back