Area between Furrow St. and Bella Vista in OH

bones said:
Maybe this is the crux of where we disagree... "getting an edge in school".  The problem with the mentality of getting an edge is that it forces a culture where everyone is either forced to follow that or get left behind.  These kids spend 6 hours of their day in school, only to have to go to MORE school... what a life.  I'm all for getting extra help when you need it, but not when it comes at the expense of free/creative play, downtime, sleep, learning other skills, etc.  When I interview Irvine kids for college, I immediately know which kids get heavy tutoring.... the ones who have limited interests/hobbies and summers they can't tell me about.

So you disapprove of how some Asian family help their kids to gain an edge in school. Funny how that can be stretched to support ludicrous claims like schools having an optimal Asian %.

Only Asian kids get tutoring?

Parents don?t want high % of Blacks & Hispanics because of sub-optimal academic performances and don?t want high % of Asians because they don?t have enough hobbies or interests.

So only white kids have the right balance in your eyes?

Seems rather absurd to me but does make thing simple. One could just look at the skin colors of a school class photo and make a decision.

Kenkoko said:
bones said:
Maybe this is the crux of where we disagree... "getting an edge in school".  The problem with the mentality of getting an edge is that it forces a culture where everyone is either forced to follow that or get left behind.  These kids spend 6 hours of their day in school, only to have to go to MORE school... what a life.  I'm all for getting extra help when you need it, but not when it comes at the expense of free/creative play, downtime, sleep, learning other skills, etc.  When I interview Irvine kids for college, I immediately know which kids get heavy tutoring.... the ones who have limited interests/hobbies and summers they can't tell me about.

So you disapprove of how some Asian family help their kids to gain an edge in school. Funny how that can be stretched to support ludicrous claims like schools having an optimal Asian %.

Parents don?t want high % of Blacks & Hispanics because of sub-optimal academic performances and don?t want high % of Asians because they don?t have enough hobbies or interests.

Seems rather absurd to me but does make thing simple. One could just look at the skin colors of a school class photo and make a decision.

I hope BONES won?t be the interviewer for my kids heavy tutor sakes :) ;)

Kenkoko said:
bones said:

Naa, I never said any of those things.  Don't cobble up different people's posts and spit out your version of events addressed to me.  I never said anything about optimal asian %s - I just posted straight CA DOE data with their ethnic breakdown numbers. 

No, of course not only Asian kids get tutoring, but I've been in the education biz long enough to know that Asians tend to get "learn the next grade level stuff" tutoring.  Tutoring because you are struggling with math concepts at school is different than, oh my kid is in first grade and in her spare time, should be learning 3rd grade level math so let's sign her up for 3 hours of math tutoring a week.  And this leads to the baggage I was referencing earlier... if the majority of kids in a class are getting this type of outside tutoring, then it affects the teaching environment IN the classroom. And kids who don't get tutoring or can't afford tutoring suffer. 

Never said anything about black/hispanics.
Never said whites having the right balance.
Man, you are delusional.

But really... if IUSD is so great, the schools so fantastic... why get tutoring at all?  Shouldn't the schools itself provide THE EDGE?  Isn't that what everyone is paying for?  Oh wait, no, IUSD isn't really that great.  It's the tutoring centers that make IUSD great :)

Wait. Do you own a tutoring center?

Compressed-Village said:
Kenkoko said:
bones said:

Haha.  I'm sure your kid will be a real estate genius at 17... side biz flipping GP homes for dad's Irvine RE empire :)

bones said:
Kenkoko said:
bones said:

Naa, I never said any of those things.  Don't cobble up different people's posts and spit out your version of events addressed to me.  I never said anything about optimal asian %s - I just posted straight CA DOE data with their ethnic breakdown numbers. 

No, of course not only Asian kids get tutoring, but I've been in the education biz long enough to know that Asians tend to get "learn the next grade level stuff" tutoring.  Tutoring because you are struggling with math concepts at school is different than, oh my kid is in first grade and in her spare time, should be learning 3rd grade level math so let's sign her up for 3 hours of math tutoring a week.  And this leads to the baggage I was referencing earlier... if the majority of kids in a class are getting this type of outside tutoring, then it affects the teaching environment IN the classroom. And kids who don't get tutoring or can't afford tutoring suffer. 

Never said anything about black/hispanics.
Never said whites having the right balance.
Man, you are delusional.

But really... if IUSD is so great, the schools so fantastic... why get tutoring at all?  Shouldn't the schools itself provide THE EDGE?  Isn't that what everyone is paying for?  Oh wait, no, IUSD isn't really that great.  It's the tutoring centers that make IUSD great :)

Wait. Do you own a tutoring center?

bones said:
Compressed-Village said:
Kenkoko said:
bones said:

Haha.  I'm sure your kid will be a real estate genius at 17... side biz flipping GP homes for dad's Irvine RE empire :)

Flipping is so dead now and even last year. Rentals on the other hands staying strong and will perform very well into a foreseeable futures. Millennials will have too much debts to carry any more mortgage debts. Math will prove this, and while the jobs are good, it?s not enough to catch up with housing appreciation.

bones said:
Kenkoko said:
bones said:
Maybe this is the crux of where we disagree... "getting an edge in school".    When I interview Irvine kids for college, I immediately know which kids get heavy tutoring.... the ones who have limited interests/hobbies and summers they can't tell me about.

So you disapprove of how some Asian family help their kids to gain an edge in school.

Hey Bones .. you still haven't answered Ken's comment on why everyone loves when Athletes get next level training or focus so much on their sport but hates and looks down upon kids who study and spend time on their studies.  After all isn't the original purpose of School/College is Academics and not really life skills (kids/parents/other social stuff are there for it).

and why do you quickly guess/judge a student during an interview regarding tutoring.  Is it your place to rate someone down because you thought they got tutoring?  Some would argue this shows character/perseverance to do well in Academics and will bode well for research.

Where do you draw the line in helping a child get into college?  Is it at the tutoring centers?  Perhaps it's the college consultants?  Or do you draw it at https://unemployedprofessors.com/ ?

We all want our children to succeed and we try to give them as much "edge" as we can.  Some parents will go farther...but it starts with the tutoring doesn't it?....Giving your child an extra 3 hours per week in instruction is going to make your child stand out vs. the normies.

Why not just have someone write all the essay for them too?...and hire a consultant.

And if Bones knew the interviewee has a college consultant should she subtract pts?

Kenkoko said:
joke4real said:
You are getting it wrong. I picked up the word 'asian' to describe the group I belong to, but, it would be better to call 'non-american citizen origin' or just 'expat' or 'newly immigrated'. My point is, 60% Asian kids, majority of them newly immigrated, they don't have inputs to share to nourish american culture, american way of life. Simple example, my son had kind of hard time to get used to 'personal bubble' that is relatively less important in my country, but his friend in school don't know about this personal bubble either, because he also moved to US just last month! This kind of thing..

I have one idea- how about checking the nationality of the students in CV or Stonegate. This will give clearer idea. American public school with how much percentage of non american citizen. But I am not sure this is disclosed information to public.

Well, partially, you saw something in my mind that there is some negative view on certain behavior / culture of certain people from certain country in 'Asia'. I am not implying just one single country because every country has issues, my country too.

By the way, no offense, do you really don't know about certain view towards Asian or just try to get some words out of my mouth?..

What am I getting wrong? You mentioned that your kids are elementary school age. Are you seriously expecting their elementary schoolmates to ? have something to share to nourish American culture and show them the American way of life? ?  These are elementary school kids we are talking about. Seriously?

Yes, I am trying to get some words out of your mouth ( and other?s who feels this way)

This is a forum for discussions. This notion that certain % of Asian = bad because you know wink wink does not make sense to me.

I am Asian myself and I do not know what exactly you are referring to. Which is why I asked in my previous post. What exactly is bad about having high % of Asian students?

I thought about your comments a lot last night, because, believe it or not, this is my first time in my life to put my thought in public / anonymous forum and you left quite negative comment on me which was not easy to accept when I just saw it. But I realized that it has been a while since someone (except my spouse) gave me strong negative comment about me and this is quite refreshing moment for me. This is good. I believe I am fairly reasonable and think straight, but somehow someone has totally different idea, which means I need to think over myself or I need to clarify my idea more because it is either misunderstanding or someone's wrong.

1. I still stand on my comment 'to share to nourish american culture, american way of life.'  In fact, I believe that is very important part of going school. Interacting, socializing, communicating, these activities are sharing the culture and way of life, correct? During class or recess time, kids talk and play together.You have a close look at what they do, their saying and behavior reflect their culture. Statement that I made, it just sounds too fancy for elementary school kids, but still, it is what it is.

2. Let me be clear precisely about %of asian issue. Do I speak about the bad or good about Asian itself? I said I didn't like the school picture because it is just like an international school, majority students are Asian immigrant. For example, I don't want my kid playing korean card game all day long with another korean friends. I want my kid playing NBA card game. I am afraid someone pick up my words criticize me with microscope. I am just try to simplify..
Do I dislike them as an individual? No. Do I dislike certain group of kids? No. Do I dislike certain nationality? No. This has nothing to do with race itself. If some american school has 60% of eskimos and my kids going that school, my reaction would be the same.

3. Notion that certain % of asian is bad---> this is formed in your mind by you. This is not exactly what I am saying. What I am say is, it is not good for 'my' situation. What you are saying that what I am saying is 'certain % of asian is bad' (in general). I am not saying that. Some people could just laugh about what we are saying here. But, for me this is not a joke, this is serious and sophisticated. I want to gradually expose my family to more americanized environment. This is it. To specify my plan, % of asian thing all started. Looking at Greatschools and checking the ratio, comparing here and there..

3. As you said, I also think you don't know what I am referring to. I am just trying to explain here. But it is not my problem, not your problem. Doesn't have to have 100% understanding here. We all just voluntarily sharing thoughts. No obligation. No hard feeling. If I am really thinking something seriously wrong and some people take his/her own time and try to correct me, that is very appreciated.

From what I understand. If you want to go to a top college or I would say a decent college with a decent alumni connection. (believe it or not the third tier private college might be better job wise) They look at everything the candidate has done and accomplished. (Grades, sports, volunteer, clubs, student body government, etc.)

There are different subjects in this thread housing, looking for a balanced ethnicity at a school (I have no part of it, kind of funny if you ask me), after school activity (how much tutoring is ideal), college admission

Irvine Dream said:
bones said:
Kenkoko said:
bones said:
Maybe this is the crux of where we disagree... "getting an edge in school".    When I interview Irvine kids for college, I immediately know which kids get heavy tutoring.... the ones who have limited interests/hobbies and summers they can't tell me about.

So you disapprove of how some Asian family help their kids to gain an edge in school.

Hey Bones .. you still haven't answered Ken's comment on why everyone loves when Athletes get next level training or focus so much on their sport but hates and looks down upon kids who study and spend time on their studies.  After all isn't the original purpose of School/College is Academics and not really life skills (kids/parents/other social stuff are there for it).

and why do you quickly guess/judge a student during an interview regarding tutoring.  Is it your place to rate someone down because you thought they got tutoring?  Some would argue this shows character/perseverance to do well in Academics and will bode well for research.

I did already address this.  Kids go to school for 6 hours a day then get more school help.  Kids DO NOT go to 6 hours of sports training school a day then get more after training.  Even Olympic level athletes don't get that much training per day.  The sports argument is always used but it's not apples to apples.  There isn't a free sports option (for the most part), you have to pay to play.

I don't judge or guess a kid's level of tutoring, but I'm required to ask them questions about extracurriculars, etc.  I mostly do that by asking them about how they spend their summers/off time.  There's been a few times when I've asked and the kids tell me, they mainly spend their summers at SAT bootcamps... 2 or three consecutive summers worth.  I don't rate them down because of this - I just add it to the report as they tell it to me.

eyephone said:
There are different subjects in this thread housing, looking for a balanced ethnicity at a school (I have no part of it, kind of funny if you ask me), after school activity (how much tutoring is ideal), college admission

Yes, I imagined that some people could just laugh about this. But it is an issue among Asians!! I have not talked to Indian, So don't know their idea, but even Chinese told me "too much Chinese here."

Some Koreans just like to stay where they have settled in. One of the reason is that some of those parents have their own language difficulty or don't have idea how the non-Irvine USA is like, or they are going back to Korea soon anyway.. Some other Korean talking about move out, some Korean actually make action, 'graduate' Irvine and move out to Aliso Viejo, Lake forest and etc..

bones said:
Irvine Dream said:
bones said:
Kenkoko said:
bones said:

I did already address this.  Kids go to school for 6 hours a day then get more school help.  Kids DO NOT go to 6 hours of sports training school a day then get more after training.  Even Olympic level athletes don't get that much training per day.  The sports argument is always used but it's not apples to apples.  There isn't a free sports option (for the most part), you have to pay to play.

I don't judge or guess a kid's level of tutoring, but I'm required to ask them questions about extracurriculars, etc.  I mostly do that by asking them about how they spend their summers/off time.  There's been a few times when I've asked and the kids tell me, they mainly spend their summers at SAT bootcamps... 2 or three consecutive summers worth.  I don't rate them down because of this - I just add it to the report as they tell it to me.

I like reading the conversation between you and other folks about tutoring and afterschool activities. I am just getting to know how parents and student manage these things, mainly to achieve their goal for going to certain level of college.

Just telling you what I did in my country when I was in high school. School makes you come to school by 6:30 AM and stay until midnight. No exception, just follow the rule.

Reason why I move to US, especially in Irvine? I want my kids experience something difference, something better and fun.

Irvine Dream said:

BTW, not everyone loves the way youth sports works in this country.  Go to youth sports forums and you'll see lots of complaints about club soccer, travel baseball, club hockey, etc.... the cost, the time commitment, the haves/have nots, starting too young, specializing in one sport, etc, etc. 

I get what bones is saying... and I do think it's an issue.

I hear many parents complain about how competitive Uni High is, yet, so many parents want to send their kids there even when they are not zoned to that high school.

Even with sports, you get that over saturation. After school sports, club sports, weekend tournaments... sometimes kids need to do something they enjoy that's not towards some end goal for college.

You can also apply this to music or whatever.

But I guess I'm not a tiger parent so that's why I feel this way.

joke4real said:
bones said:
Irvine Dream said:
bones said:
Kenkoko said:
bones said:

I like reading the conversation between you and other folks about tutoring and afterschool activities. I am just getting to know how parents and student manage these things, mainly to achieve their goal for going to certain level of college.

Just telling you what I did in my country when I was in high school. School makes you come to school by 6:30 AM and stay until midnight. No exception, just follow the rule.

Reason why I move to US, especially in Irvine? I want my kids experience something difference, something better and fun.

You mean ultra competitive not fun.

eyephone said:
joke4real said:
bones said:
Irvine Dream said:
bones said:
Kenkoko said:
bones said:

You mean ultra competitive not fun.

Staying school for 17.5 hours per day is not fun. Different aspect from 'ultra competitive', I think.

Ultra competitive is like 'very hard to win', right? It more depends on your academic ability, not the time you stay in school until midnight..

I spoke to one representative in Padova last weekend and she told me " kids smart, then kids smart, not smart, then not smart. Doesn't matter whether he goes Tustin or Irvine or Laguna Beach." 

Back