Area between Furrow St. and Bella Vista in OH

bones said:
Funkie said:
joke4real said:
Mety said:
Why wished for TUSD? Not a fan of IUSD?

I started putting my stories in TI last week. Main issue is narrowing down the area of house I am buying and it comes with kids issue, school issue. And school issue is normally related to school itself, but in Irvine, you know, the demographic issue. Very sensitive issue for me to touch because my family is the part of it.

But, when I saw the class photo, I can tell clearly, I did not appreciate it. This is not real US. It is just an international school located in very good US soil.

If I can guarantee to my kids that  we all keep ourselves in Irvine for the rest of our lives, maybe we can just stay in this way. But it is not gonna happen. I wish and my kids will 'spread their wings and fly away' after high school or even earlier. Then, they will experience whole new 'welcome to america' and it will be too late for them to have another transition time..

So, I am planning to expose my family to non-Irvine environment step by step, and this is the reason that I am thinking TUSD..

Would a white person see a class picture full of white kids say "we must go to a school that's more diversified? 

Yes white people currently with kids in ?new? Irvine.

Which "new" Irvine? New-new-real new like Great park? Or..Eastwood? Communities that I mainly mention is Cypress village and Stonegate.

eyephone said:
joke4real said:
UnderContract said:
Joke4real - have you considered Baker Ranch in Lake Forest?

Someone told me, but didn't have a close look at it, because so many areas to see..@_@ and now trying to narrow down..

Should I at least visit the Baker ranch, you think?

Like right next to the jail?

Aha..the jail...yes it is better to avoid it.

joke4real said:
Funkie said:
joke4real said:
Mety said:

I started putting my stories in TI last week. Main issue is narrowing down the area of house I am buying and it comes with kids issue, school issue. And school issue is normally related to school itself, but in Irvine, you know, the demographic issue. Very sensitive issue for me to touch because my family is the part of it.

But, when I saw the class photo, I can tell clearly, I did not appreciate it. This is not real US. It is just an international school located in very good US soil.

If I can guarantee to my kids that  we all keep ourselves in Irvine for the rest of our lives, maybe we can just stay in this way. But it is not gonna happen. I wish and my kids will 'spread their wings and fly away' after high school or even earlier. Then, they will experience whole new 'welcome to america' and it will be too late for them to have another transition time..

So, I am planning to expose my family to non-Irvine environment step by step, and this is the reason that I am thinking TUSD..

Would a white person see a class picture full of white kids say "we must go to a school that's more diversified?

Well, I guess different feeling from different background.. I believe, your question and hypothesis is not that simple, equivalent to immigrant asian. Even among asians, there is big difference how to see the demographics, some people just feel secured and comfortable, some people like me start feeling somethings not right.. especially I've been doing international business about 10 years, dealing with all different countries and race. You move to somewhere and if you want a life with sense of reality, you need to get localized..

My point is, I am not trying to be a part of white people community or want to be white. Rather, I just want my family experience real american culture, manner, language, sports and etc... We just got here last year, so we still need a bit more time to fit in, but I want to explore outside of new Irvine.

I feel the same way.  I'm white/latino and it's kinda weird to visit cities with an extremely large monoculture.  I don't mind visiting, but I definitely value some diversity of people in a neighborhood.  Some just for selfish reasons beccause I want a variety of good food :-D

ThirtySomethingWEquity said:
joke4real said:
Funkie said:
joke4real said:
Mety said:

Well, I guess different feeling from different background.. I believe, your question and hypothesis is not that simple, equivalent to immigrant asian. Even among asians, there is big difference how to see the demographics, some people just feel secured and comfortable, some people like me start feeling somethings not right.. especially I've been doing international business about 10 years, dealing with all different countries and race. You move to somewhere and if you want a life with sense of reality, you need to get localized..

My point is, I am not trying to be a part of white people community or want to be white. Rather, I just want my family experience real american culture, manner, language, sports and etc... We just got here last year, so we still need a bit more time to fit in, but I want to explore outside of new Irvine.

I feel the same way.  I'm white/latino and it's kinda weird to visit cities with an extremely large monoculture.  I don't mind visiting, but I definitely value some diversity of people in a neighborhood.  Some just for selfish reasons beccause I want a variety of good food :-D

So what?s a good neighborhood to you? (give us an example)

When someone from overseas comes to USA, they don't expect to see 50% asian faces in a classroom.  They expect to see 80% white kids.
So I can see why some people are surprised.

Funkie said:

As a minority person, I always find it fascinating when I hear conversation about one place being great because it has the right % mix and another place isn't great because it does have the right %.

There seems to be a % threshold of minority that makes a person uncomfortable. What's that magic number for Irvine when nonwhite population reaches that percentage Irvine becomes no longer great? 30%? 50%? 75%?

Attachments

• columbus-was-an-immigrant-who-brought-much-needed-diversity-change-36788650.png
    columbus-was-an-immigrant-who-brought-much-needed-diversity-change-36788650.png
    175.2 KB · Views: 247
Kenkoko said:
Funkie said:

As a minority person, I always find it fascinating when I hear conversation about one place being great because it has the right % mix and another place isn't great because it does have the right %.

There seems to be a % threshold of minority that makes a person uncomfortable. What's that magic number for Irvine when nonwhite population reaches that percentage Irvine becomes no longer great? 30%? 50%? 75%?

I think the number depends on who you ask

joke4real said:
bones said:
Funkie said:
joke4real said:
Mety said:

Yes white people currently with kids in ?new? Irvine.

Which "new" Irvine? New-new-real new like Great park? Or..Eastwood? Communities that I mainly mention is Cypress village and Stonegate.

Yea, probably all of those... along with Portola Springs. All these schools have >55% asians in the neighborhood elementary school.  I think Stonegate is the highest at 67% followed by Eastwood at 62%.  Stonegate has 7.1% with 2 or more races - I would imagine a lot of those are Asian + something else but just speculating.  Add in another 2% Filipino and you're looking at over 70% Asian. 

eyephone said:
joke4real said:
Funkie said:
joke4real said:
Mety said:

What?s a good example?
South Pasadena, West LA, La Canada (I?m throwing darts trying to get a response)

For Harvard, it's 20% asian, so we can use that as the optimal asians in a classroom.
However, if you were going to use UCI as optimal, then it's like 50%?

eyephone said:
eyephone said:
joke4real said:
Funkie said:
joke4real said:
Mety said:

What?s a good example?
South Pasadena, West LA, La Canada (I?m throwing darts trying to get a response)

Im trying to get an idea out what they think is a ?great mix? of race. I?m guessing LA area.

joke4real said:
Mety said:

I started putting my stories in TI last week. Main issue is narrowing down the area of house I am buying and it comes with kids issue, school issue. And school issue is normally related to school itself, but in Irvine, you know, the demographic issue. Very sensitive issue for me to touch because my family is the part of it. Nothing bad feeling about school itself, new facilities, some good teachers, some bad teachers,,good programs for distinguished students..and etc..

But, when I saw the class photo, I can tell clearly, I did not appreciate it. This is not real US. It is just an international school located in very good US soil. I don't disrespect the school itself, but cannot take this idea from my mind that it is a big stage of 21st century 'Trueman show' run by big brother, the Irvine Company.

Thanks for the honest response. I can see why you would feel surprised to see so many Asian demographics in the city of the United States of America. While I respect and expect you to do whatever seems right to you and your family, I also want to ask if you are thinking of the U.S. as a nation of Caucasian origins. Historically, it is not. While it may have been invaded by Caucasians for many years, it's been a land where Mongolian origins were dominated until Europeans came and slaughtered bunch of them. It's a historical fact our President Trump or even Kanye West would know as American public school system teaches that in a history class in high school. Sure, those are all in the past and now we are all happy with the way this Land of Freedom has become so we are privileged to live here no matter what ethnicity or background, right? Well, I'm not sure if Native Americans will say the same also. Anyways, even with dark histories in the past, this nation has set many respectable system and standards the world desires so let's start from there because if you get too deep, ain't nobody will be safe.

What makes America is not having 50+% of white kids in schools. America now, since the European Invasion, has become a country formed or united by people from different countries. It's not a country where certain demographics were the original owners of the land like Germany or China. Irvine or any popular cities in the world are now having a "Chinese Invasion", but at least they are not killing bunch of people already residing so probably the history won't be as dark. But please do know that Asian and African ethnicities formed the majority of the world's population so who knows if the next move will be made from Africa?

Well back to your kids' schools, as someone else already mentioned, TUSD you are looking at will have the same or even more Asian demographics in their schools anyways and I even heard (not sure if true) that you might have to pay more MR for TUSD side of OH. If you have enough cash in the bank, sounds like you do since you've been looking at those high end homes, I would suggest sending your kids to private schools. There you might have less Asians. Maybe more Jews if you are comfortable with that.

As a first person viewpoint on the OH School race mix, OH School on the Grove side (TUSD) definitely has more diversity.  I recommend taking a drive or walk to the school to observe the student mix during when the school begins and when the school is out.  You will get a good feel for the mix of the students.  Definitely good mix of Whites, Hispanics, and Asians.  Asians are generally from Northpark and OH side.  White and hispanics are from the West Irvine, Grove OH and Tustin side where they are zoned to.  Hicks Canyon elementary also have more diversity as more whites and hispanics attend from the Tustin side.  Peters Canyon Elementary is pretty good mix with more Whites from Tustin area.

IUSD is heavily more Asian mix for sure (Stonegate, Northwood, Cypress Village, etc.) - One of the reason for us to move from Stonegate to the Grove.  IUSD OH side is like 80%+ Asians (Reserve, Strada, etc.) from just walking around the neighborhood.

Joke4Real - FYI, some of the Strada and Terraza homes are zoned to TUSD OH School.  You should look into it.  Few of them just came out in the market.
I am assuming you are Asian (Korean) based on your prior post and want to live near Korean supermarket (Zion) and restaurants.  If so, I won't recommend moving to North Tustin, Orange, etc.  Little inconvenient to drive to Asian restaurants and supermarkets that are mostly in Irvine.

Seems pretty well diverse to me.

eizWVyY.jpg

Northwood High 2016

Source from:http://thehowleronline.org/northwood-stuns-all-in-irvine-world-news-tournament/

May I ask does this seem more expected image of American school to you guys?

EMMBybp.jpg

misme said:
Mety said:

eizWVyY.jpg

Northwood High 2016

Source from:http://thehowleronline.org/northwood-stuns-all-in-irvine-world-news-tournament/

This is a picture of the boy's basketball team. I don't think you can expect it to necessarily mirror the overall makeup of the school.
Why don't we compare a picture of the Northwood High orchestra?

As you wish. Here is the blog Northwood High students use. I searched "orchestra."
http://thehowleronline.org/?s=orchestra

Mety said:
misme said:
Mety said:

eizWVyY.jpg

Northwood High 2016

This is a picture of the boy's basketball team. I don't think you can expect it to necessarily mirror the overall makeup of the school.
Why don't we compare a picture of the Northwood High orchestra?

As you wish. Here is the blog Northwood High students use. I searched "orchestra."
http://thehowleronline.org/?s=orchestra

They can?t touch our researching skills.  ;D

Goriot said:
As a first person viewpoint on the OH School race mix, OH School on the Grove side (TUSD) definitely has more diversity.  I recommend taking a drive or walk to the school to observe the student mix during when the school begins and when the school is out.  You will get a good feel for the mix of the students.  Definitely good mix of Whites, Hispanics, and Asians.  Asians are generally from Northpark and OH side.  White and hispanics are from the West Irvine, Grove OH and Tustin side where they are zoned to.  Hicks Canyon elementary also have more diversity as more whites and hispanics attend from the Tustin side.  Peters Canyon Elementary is pretty good mix with more Whites from Tustin area.

IUSD is heavily more Asian mix for sure (Stonegate, Northwood, Cypress Village, etc.) - One of the reason for us to move from Stonegate to the Grove.  IUSD OH side is like 80%+ Asians (Reserve, Strada, etc.) from just walking around the neighborhood.

Joke4Real - FYI, some of the Strada and Terraza homes are zoned to TUSD OH School.  You should look into it.  Few of them just came out in the market.
I am assuming you are Asian (Korean) based on your prior post and want to live near Korean supermarket (Zion) and restaurants.  If so, I won't recommend moving to North Tustin, Orange, etc.  Little inconvenient to drive to Asian restaurants and supermarkets that are mostly in Irvine.

Or just get it straight from the source. OH school + Hicks are a bit more diverse than Canyonview.

https://dq.cde.ca.gov/dataquest/dqcensus/enrethlevels.aspx?agglevel=School&year=2017-18&cds=30736430102889

https://dq.cde.ca.gov/dataquest/dqcensus/enrethlevels.aspx?agglevel=School&year=2017-18&cds=30736430121152

https://dq.cde.ca.gov/dataquest/dqcensus/enrethlevels.aspx?agglevel=School&year=2017-18&cds=30736506115455

You can also look at the Diversity and scores at www.greatschools.org   
They have a rank based on Diversity (surprised by Asian % at TUSD).  Below is for elementary for joke4real is concerned about.
Below data is from 2016-2017.  They are including Filipino in Asian bucket.  Thus, little difference with Bones data above which is more upto date.

TUSD
Orchard Hills - https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/25320-Orchard-Hills-School/  10 out of 10 score (51% Asian, 32% White, 10% Hispanic, 7% others)
Hicks Canyon - https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/13867-Hicks-Canyon-Elementary-School/  9 out of 10 score (52% Asian, 28% White, 11% Hispanic, 9% others)
Peters Canyon - https://www.greatschools.org/california/tustin/4079-Peters-Canyon-Elementary-School/  10 out of 10 score (40% Asian, 37% White, 15% Hispanic, 8% others)

IUSD
Stonegate -https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/3839-Stonegate-Elementary-School/#Race_ethnicity9 out of 10 score (67% Asian, 17% White, 7% Hispanice, 9% others)
Cypress Village - https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/31848-Cypress-Village-Elementary/  9 out of 10 score (62% Asian, 19% White, 11% Hispanic, 8% others)
Canyon View -https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/3813-Canyon-View-Elementary-School/9 out of 10 score (63% Asian, 21% White, 6% Hispanic, 10% others)

Kind of surprised by Asians on TUSD side albeit IUSD is higher.

Goriot said:
You can also look at the Diversity and scores at www.greatschools.org   
They have a rank based on Diversity (surprised by Asian % at TUSD).  Below is for elementary for joke4play is concerned about.
Below data is from 2016-2017.  They are including Filipino in Asian bucket.  Thus, little difference with Bones data above which is more upto date.

TUSD
Orchard Hills - https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/25320-Orchard-Hills-School/  10 out of 10 score (51% Asian, 32% White, 10% Hispanic, 7% others)
Hicks Canyon - https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/13867-Hicks-Canyon-Elementary-School/  9 out of 10 score (52% Asian, 28% White, 11% Hispanic, 9% others)
Peters Canyon - https://www.greatschools.org/california/tustin/4079-Peters-Canyon-Elementary-School/  10 out of 10 score (40% Asian, 37% White, 15% Hispanic, 8% others)

IUSD
Stonegate -https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/3839-Stonegate-Elementary-School/#Race_ethnicity9 out of 10 score (67% Asian, 17% White, 7% Hispanice, 9% others)
Cypress Village - https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/31848-Cypress-Village-Elementary/  9 out of 10 score (62% Asian, 19% White, 11% Hispanic, 8% others)
Canyon View -https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/3813-Canyon-View-Elementary-School/9 out of 10 score (63% Asian, 21% White, 6% Hispanic, 10% others)

Kind of surprised by Asians on TUSD side albeit IUSD is higher.

To get more diversity you need to branch into different areas alltogether.

I suggest Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda, North Tustin, Villa Park, Lake Forest and points south as alternatives, which all have pretty decent quality public schools as far as Greatschools/Niche rankings go.

Back