Area between Furrow St. and Bella Vista in OH

Goriot said:
You can also look at the Diversity and scores at www.greatschools.org   
They have a rank based on Diversity (surprised by Asian % at TUSD).  Below is for elementary for joke4real is concerned about.
Below data is from 2016-2017.  They are including Filipino in Asian bucket.  Thus, little difference with Bones data above which is more upto date.

TUSD
Orchard Hills - https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/25320-Orchard-Hills-School/  10 out of 10 score (51% Asian, 32% White, 10% Hispanic, 7% others)
Hicks Canyon - https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/13867-Hicks-Canyon-Elementary-School/  9 out of 10 score (52% Asian, 28% White, 11% Hispanic, 9% others)
Peters Canyon - https://www.greatschools.org/california/tustin/4079-Peters-Canyon-Elementary-School/  10 out of 10 score (40% Asian, 37% White, 15% Hispanic, 8% others)

IUSD
Stonegate -https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/3839-Stonegate-Elementary-School/#Race_ethnicity9 out of 10 score (67% Asian, 17% White, 7% Hispanice, 9% others)
Cypress Village - https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/31848-Cypress-Village-Elementary/  9 out of 10 score (62% Asian, 19% White, 11% Hispanic, 8% others)
Canyon View -https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/3813-Canyon-View-Elementary-School/9 out of 10 score (63% Asian, 21% White, 6% Hispanic, 10% others)

Kind of surprised by Asians on TUSD side albeit IUSD is higher.

Are you?  The numbers on both sides will only increase as more homes get built in OH and older homes turn over to new residents as their kids age out of HS.

misme said:
Goriot said:
They have a rank based on Diversity (surprised by Asian % at TUSD).  Below is for elementary for joke4play is concerned about.
Below data is from 2016-2017.  They are including Filipino in Asian bucket.  Thus, little difference with Bones data above which is more upto date.

TUSD
Orchard Hills - https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/25320-Orchard-Hills-School/  10 out of 10 score (51% Asian, 32% White, 10% Hispanic, 7% others)
Hicks Canyon - https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/13867-Hicks-Canyon-Elementary-School/  9 out of 10 score (52% Asian, 28% White, 11% Hispanic, 9% others)
Peters Canyon - https://www.greatschools.org/california/tustin/4079-Peters-Canyon-Elementary-School/  10 out of 10 score (40% Asian, 37% White, 15% Hispanic, 8% others)

IUSD
Stonegate -https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/3839-Stonegate-Elementary-School/#Race_ethnicity9 out of 10 score (67% Asian, 17% White, 7% Hispanice, 9% others)
Cypress Village - https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/31848-Cypress-Village-Elementary/  9 out of 10 score (62% Asian, 19% White, 11% Hispanic, 8% others)
Canyon View -https://www.greatschools.org/california/irvine/3813-Canyon-View-Elementary-School/9 out of 10 score (63% Asian, 21% White, 6% Hispanic, 10% others)

To get more diversity you need to branch into different areas alltogether.

I suggest Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda, North Tustin, Villa Park, Lake Forest and points south as alternatives, which all have pretty decent quality public schools as far as Greatschools/Niche rankings go.

A whole new subject regarding other school rankings. But I?ll chime in of course. Do what?s best for your kid?s future.

For example in LA area people send their kids across town for the best situation for their kid. (Private school, public school magnet, public school known for sports..)

joke4real said:
UnderContract said:
Joke4real - have you considered Baker Ranch in Lake Forest?

Someone told me, but didn't have a close look at it, because so many areas to see..@_@ and now trying to narrow down..

Should I at least visit the Baker ranch, you think?

I think it?s worth a visit to Baker Ranch. My friend lives there and loves it and the demographics are more in line with what you?re looking for. Not sure how far you?re willing to commute, but many cities in South OC might be a better fit for you if you?re worried about the Asian% in Irvine schools. I feel it?s a blessing that there are so many cultures represented here, but I know it?s not the right fit for everyone.

Orange County is a bubble that?s very different from the rest of the country. Most of America does not live in $1M+ homes. The wealth here is not like a typical American household. I worry about that instead of the racial composition of the schools. Lots of kids here don?t know the value of a dollar.

UnderContract said:
joke4real said:
UnderContract said:

Someone told me, but didn't have a close look at it, because so many areas to see..@_@ and now trying to narrow down..

I think it?s worth a visit to Baker Ranch. My friend lives there and loves it and the demographics are more in line with what you?re looking for. Not sure how far you?re willing to commute, but many cities in South OC might be a better fit for you if you?re worried about the Asian% in Irvine schools. I feel it?s a blessing that there are so many cultures represented here, but I know it?s not the right fit for everyone.

Orange County is a bubble that?s very different from the rest of the country. Most of America does not live in $1M+ homes. The wealth here is not like a typical American household. I worry about that instead of the racial composition of the schools. Lots of kids here don?t know the value of a dollar.

I feel every sentence you wrote here is very valuable advice to me. Thank you.

joke4real said:
UnderContract said:
joke4real said:
UnderContract said:

I feel every sentence you wrote here is very valuable advice to me. Thank you.

But he won?t buy close to a jail.

Wow. So many comments and insights during my 1 day absence yesterday.

Let me make all my reply and comment here.

1. american history and my agenda here : Dear Mety, I am aware of the history of 1600~1700 in america, but,,,not quite relevant to my situation I believe.. because what I am trying to do is to smoothly getting mixed in the normal average american life. What happened in 1600~1700 was something quite different.. For me, mentioning american history and try to extract some meaningful insight from it is too much and too serious..

TUSD, is a bit different demographic as shown by Bones and others.

Private school- need to study more about it, new system for me. Also, financially questionable to my situation. your comments about Jewish - business wise, I kinda prefer their style. Very difficult to start getting along. Need lot of effort to establish their favor. But once you get in, they respect you. Can be different, just based on my experience.

School pictures - I am mainly talking about elementary school, not high school now. High school has more diversity because lot of asian family stay in new Irvine for a couple of years and they get back to their country.

2. OH belong to TUSD - I just found out last week the district line crossing the Strada OH is very tricky and even funny. In redfin, now two houses in tricky location are listed. one belong to Tustin and the other belong to Irvine.

3. Dear bones and goriot - thank you for guiding me those actual statistics! I visited El Dorado in Tustin just once, but I will go there again because of Peters Canyon ES.

4. Dear Misme, other areas like Yorba Linda, is it fair to say that it has same convenient traffic compare to Irvine?

Goriot said:
They have a rank based on Diversity (surprised by Asian % at TUSD).  Below is for elementary for joke4real is concerned about.

TUSD

IUSD

That's what I mean, the difference isn't that huge... at least 10% isn't to me.

If you want true diversity, go to LA... unless joke4real means "diversity" as in "less asians, more caucasians".

Just go south of OC, you will have plenty of caucasians. I like south of OC as well. But I am Irvine all the way or at least until my kids finish K-12.

joke4real,

As much as I love TI threads on whose village is better. Don't feel pressured to justify your purchase/area of interest. Just do what you think is right for you and your family. The TUSD side of OH is a very nice neighborhood and the schools are great (if not unjustly underrated). Buying a home is not simply about max ROI or a greastchools score. Make sure you take the time and walk around the area at different times of the day and week. It may be uncomfortable but go out and speak with some the neighbors in the area. Maybe consider renting a home in that village before buying. Prices/incentives for new homes only look to get better in the future. Make sure you consult with a RE professional who knows the area to get a great rebate. Good luck finding your new home!

joke4real said:

1. american history and my agenda here : Dear Mety, I am aware of the history of 1600~1700 in america, but,,,not quite relevant to my situation I believe.. because what I am trying to do is to smoothly getting mixed in the normal average american life. What happened in 1600~1700 was something quite different.. For me, mentioning american history and try to extract some meaningful insight from it is too much and too serious..

Private school- need to study more about it, new system for me. Also, financially questionable to my situation. your comments about Jewish - business wise, I kinda prefer their style. Very difficult to start getting along. Need lot of effort to establish their favor. But once you get in, they respect you. Can be different, just based on my experience.

School pictures - I am mainly talking about elementary school, not high school now. High school has more diversity because lot of asian family stay in new Irvine for a couple of years and they get back to their country.

2. OH belong to TUSD - I just found out last week the district line crossing the Strada OH is very tricky and even funny. In redfin, now two houses in tricky location are listed. one belong to Tustin and the other belong to Irvine.

3. Dear bones and goriot - thank you for guiding me those actual statistics! I visited El Dorado in Tustin just once, but I will go there again because of Peters Canyon ES.

4. Dear Misme, other areas like Yorba Linda, is it fair to say that it has same convenient traffic compare to Irvine?

I'm saying Irvine as of now is just as America as other areas like Tustin or Baker Ranch. Having more of a certain demographic does not make what America America since you wanted to expose that American culture to you kids. When you see Inglewood High School having 40% black students, you don't say that is not an American school. It's the programs and the school systems that run the American culture. Having sports teams, orchestra bands, musical shows, and homecoming, prom parties are all parts of it. 

Anyways, I guess all you are saying is you want more cultures and ethnicities mixed in your kids' school instead of only Asian dominating. If you are against the culture of Asian kids and parents having too much of academic successes and standards, then I would agree. But if you decide by just what you saw from the class photo then maybe you might need a little bit more of reconsideration. I loved my high school and it was about 80% Jews. I can relate to what you are saying about them from your business. In my understanding, they have just as or even more pressure for their academic standards, but in general, I got along fine with them and one of my closest friends from school was also a Jewish guy. But I never thought of it as a Jewish school. It was an American school just fine since it had all the American programs/systems.

I know you are focusing more on the elementary school so let's talk about elementary. As others have already showed the stats, there isn't too much difference from TUSD and IUSD at least the ones you are considering. That area in general has more Asians or FCBs so that's something you can't avoid while you live there.

Some might disagree, but I believe many people who used to live in Irvine and left to explore other areas usually do want to come back. It's not the demographics issues. It's the location issue. Irvine is the best location in OC especially if you travel a lot due to its close access to freeways and also the JWA or SNA airport. Tustin and Baker Ranch do come close, but Tustin is older so you would have to remodel a lot and BR is too far from everything unless your life evolved around Foothill Ranch. Other OC areas like Yorba Linda, you will find them too rural if you are looking for more urban feeling. Also Irvine is a masterfully planned community so you will find everything clean and organized for your convenience. I'm talking about even small stuff like traffic lights, roads, plazas and etc. Again, all these things you might not realize until you live in other areas. If you are considering LA county, that's another discussion. I'm saying Irvine offers one of the best in OC. I wouldn't limit your searching to just TUSD OH but also consider IUSD areas where I personally think you will like more eventually. If you are still uncomfortable with IUSD, then here is a private school in Irvine I would recommend.
https://www.tarbut.com

Very expensive indeed. About $25000 a year for elementary courses, but isn't that like some village's Mello-Roos tax?  :D

Mety said:
joke4real said:

I'm saying Irvine as of now is just as America as other areas like Tustin or Baker Ranch. Having more of a certain demographic does not make what America America since you wanted to expose that American culture to you kids. When you see Inglewood High School having 40% black students, you don't say that is not an American school. It's the programs and the school systems that run the American culture. Having sports teams, orchestra bands, musical shows, and homecoming, prom parties are all parts of it. 

Anyways, I guess all you are saying is you want more cultures and ethnicities mixed in your kids' school instead of only Asian dominating. If you are against the culture of Asian kids and parents having too much of academic successes and standards, then I would agree. But if you decide by just what you saw from the class photo then maybe you might need a little bit more of reconsideration. I loved my high school and it was about 80% Jews. I can relate to what you are saying about them from your business. In my understanding, they have just as or even more pressure for their academic standards, but in general, I got along fine with them and one of my closest friends from school was also a Jewish guy. But I never thought of it as a Jewish school. It was an American school just fine since it had all the American programs/systems.

I know you are focusing more on the elementary school so let's talk about elementary. As others have already showed the stats, there isn't too much difference from TUSD and IUSD at least the ones you are considering. That area in general has more Asians or FCBs so that's something you can't avoid while you live there.

Some might disagree, but I believe many people who used to live in Irvine and left to explore other areas usually do want to come back. It's not the demographics issues. It's the location issue. Irvine is the best location in OC especially if you travel a lot due to its close access to freeways and also the JWA or SNA airport. Tustin and Baker Ranch do come close, but Tustin is older so you would have to remodel a lot and BR is too far from everything unless your life evolved around Foothill Ranch. Other OC areas like Yorba Linda, you will find them too rural if you are looking for more urban feeling. Also Irvine is a masterfully planned community so you will find everything clean and organized for your convenience. I'm talking about even small stuff like traffic lights, roads, plazas and etc. Again, all these things you might not realize until you live in other areas. If you are considering LA county, that's another discussion. I'm saying Irvine offers one of the best in OC. I wouldn't limit your searching to just TUSD OH but also consider IUSD areas where I personally think you will like more eventually. If you are still uncomfortable with IUSD, then here is a private school in Irvine I would recommend.
https://www.tarbut.com

Very expensive indeed. About $25000 a year for elementary courses, but isn't that like some village's Mello-Roos tax?  :D

Many thanks to your thoughtful comments. I decided to put my words in TI because I saw people put their valuable time and give valuable advice, just like you do to me.

I was going to say this in different comments but I am writing it here.

My criteria is just like this..
1. It is best to stay in Irvine. No LA, No more southern. Irvine is in the best location.
2. Like to avoid 60% asian elementary school. 30% asian and 30% white seem to be better for us.
3. Newer house better. Try to avoid major remodeling. Don't like closed floor plan
4. Like to have some backyard. Lot size / floor size > 1.3 seems fine.
5. Not gonna buy more than 15 years old house.

Any volunteer to solve this multiple variable equation? I am about to give up.. :-\

joke4real said:
2. Like to avoid 60% asian elementary school. 30% asian and 30% white seem to be better for us.

That's Vista Verde and Bonita Canyon.  The White % will be higher than 30% but not high like south OC.

I am curious.

What exactly is bad about having high % of Asian students? This notion is repeatedly mentioned on this forum but nobody ever explicitly said why. It's always done like " you know wink wink"

I wish more parents can see past skin colors especially on issues that will affect the next generation.

Kids pick up things from parents even when they are not fully expressed.

joke4real said:
1. It is best to stay in Irvine. No LA, No more southern. Irvine is in the best location.
3. Newer house better. Try to avoid major remodeling. Don't like closed floor plan

Any volunteer to solve this multiple variable equation? I am about to give up.. :-\

Yeah, like bones said, Turtle Ridge area might be closer to what you are looking for. They are about 15 years old though. But I like the location and homes as long as not too close to the toll road.

Kenkoko said:
I am curious.

What exactly is bad about having high % of Asian students? This notion is repeatedly mentioned on this forum but nobody ever explicitly said why. It's always done like " you know wink wink"

I wish more parents can see past skin colors especially on issues that will affect the next generation.

I don't think it's the skin color, but the academic baggage that asian parents bring to the equation.  Lots of outside tutoring, etc.

Kenkoko said:
I am curious.

Obviously Harvard is the cream of the crop in higher education, so we should base our own preferences in the same way.
According to this https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/admissions-statistics Harvard has 22.9% Asian Americans.
The number is likely higher if you consider international students.
So this means Harvard is telling us 23% - 25% Asian classroom is optimal.

I also looked up UCI. 
http://www.oir.uci.edu/files/campus/uci-college-portrait.pdf?R=26562
It says only 35% are Asian, but it always seemed like way more to me.

Mety said:
joke4real said:

Yeah, like bones said, Turtle Ridge area might be closer to what you are looking for. They are about 15 years old though. But I like the location and homes as long as not too close to the toll road.

Extra money to live over there.  ;)

Mety said:
joke4real said:

Here is Vista Verde Elementary demographics. Turtle Ridge residents send their kids here.
About Turtle Ridge though, the homes might be smaller and more pricey than OH ones.

SoGhhRBl.png

But there is always Shady Canyon also if you want real deals.  ;D

Kenkoko said:
I am curious.

You are getting it wrong. I picked up the word 'asian' to describe the group I belong to, but, it would be better to call 'non-american citizen origin' or just 'expat' or 'newly immigrated'. My point is, 60% Asian kids, majority of them newly immigrated, they don't have inputs to share to nourish american culture, american way of life. Simple example, my son had kind of hard time to get used to 'personal bubble' that is relatively less important in my country, but his friend in school don't know about this personal bubble either, because he also moved to US just last month! This kind of thing..

I have one idea- how about checking the nationality of the students in CV or Stonegate. This will give clearer idea. American public school with how much percentage of non american citizen. But I am not sure this is disclosed information to public.

Well, partially, you saw something in my mind that there is some negative view on certain behavior / culture of certain people from certain country in 'Asia'. I am not implying just one single country because every country has issues, my country too.

By the way, no offense, do you really don't know about certain view towards Asian or just try to get some words out of my mouth?..

Back