Area between Furrow St. and Bella Vista in OH

eyephone said:
Mety said:
joke4real said:
My criteria is just like this..
1. It is best to stay in Irvine. No LA, No more southern. Irvine is in the best location.
2. Like to avoid 60% asian elementary school. 30% asian and 30% white seem to be better for us.
3. Newer house better. Try to avoid major remodeling. Don't like closed floor plan
4. Like to have some backyard. Lot size / floor size > 1.3 seems fine.
5. Not gonna buy more than 15 years old house.

Any volunteer to solve this multiple variable equation? I am about to give up.. :-\

Yeah, like bones said, Turtle Ridge area might be closer to what you are looking for. They are about 15 years old though. But I like the location and homes as long as not too close to the toll road.

Extra money to live over there.  ;)

True dat. But I would live here in a smaller home than OH if I had the same budget. Location always triumphs.  ;D
Well, actually OH is nice too. Man, rich people's problem.

Mety said:
Mety said:
joke4real said:
1. It is best to stay in Irvine. No LA, No more southern. Irvine is in the best location.
2. Like to avoid 60% asian elementary school. 30% asian and 30% white seem to be better for us.
3. Newer house better. Try to avoid major remodeling. Don't like closed floor plan

Any volunteer to solve this multiple variable equation? I am about to give up.. :-\

Yeah, like bones said, Turtle Ridge area might be closer to what you are looking for. They are about 15 years old though. But I like the location and homes as long as not too close to the toll road.

Here is Vista Verde Elementary demographics. Turtle Ridge residents send their kids here.
About Turtle Ridge though, the homes might be smaller and more pricey than OH ones.

SoGhhRBl.png

But there is always Shady Canyon also if you want real deals.  ;D

I go to bike or hike to Shady Canyon trail. Beautiful area...and that is about it now!!!!!

So Harvard says 25%
and UCI says I dunno 45%....

hmm...take the 2...carry the 4..

So optimal is 30% asians in a classroom...You were right Joke4real!  you are @ optimal ASIAN!!!

joke4real said:
Mety said:
Mety said:
joke4real said:

Here is Vista Verde Elementary demographics. Turtle Ridge residents send their kids here.
About Turtle Ridge though, the homes might be smaller and more pricey than OH ones.

SoGhhRBm.png

I go to bike or hike to Shady Canyon trail. Beautiful area...and that is about it now!!!!!

You don't like Turtle Ridge area? It's different than Turtle Rock. TRock is old as heck. TRidge is like OH built in 2005-ish. Still too old?

Asians make up the most in the world's population so why surprised to see many of them in the world's most advanced country?
Africans fill up the next. Let's see where this ride takes!

H5lIc88l.jpg

joke4real said:
Mety said:
Mety said:
joke4real said:

SoGhhRBl.png

When biking did you come across coyotes or 4 legged animals?

joke4real said:
Kenkoko said:
I am curious.

What exactly is bad about having high % of Asian students? This notion is repeatedly mentioned on this forum but nobody ever explicitly said why. It's always done like " you know wink wink"

I wish more parents can see past skin colors especially on issues that will affect the next generation.

Kids pick up things from parents even when they are not fully expressed.

You are getting it wrong. I picked up the word 'asian' to describe the group I belong to, but, it would be better to call 'non-american citizen origin' or just 'expat' or 'newly immigrated'. My point is, 60% Asian kids, majority of them newly immigrated, they don't have inputs to share to nourish american culture, american way of life. Simple example, my son had kind of hard time to get used to 'personal bubble' that is relatively less important in my country, but his friend in school don't know about this personal bubble either, because he also moved to US just last month! This kind of thing..

I have one idea- how about checking the nationality of the students in CV or Stonegate. This will give clearer idea. American public school with how much percentage of non american citizen. But I am not sure this is disclosed information to public.

Well, partially, you saw something in my mind that there is some negative view on certain behavior / culture of certain people from certain country in 'Asia'. I am not implying just one single country because every country has issues, my country too.

By the way, no offense, do you really don't know about certain view towards Asian or just try to get some words out of my mouth?..

EDIT
Sorry, wrong school was inserted. Here is the correct data.
SG in the left and CV in the right are the elementary school stats. Both about 25% kids learning English. Is that a lot?

X8lmUlMl.png

Mety said:
joke4real said:
Kenkoko said:
I am curious.

What exactly is bad about having high % of Asian students? This notion is repeatedly mentioned on this forum but nobody ever explicitly said why. It's always done like " you know wink wink"

I wish more parents can see past skin colors especially on issues that will affect the next generation.

Kids pick up things from parents even when they are not fully expressed.

You are getting it wrong. I picked up the word 'asian' to describe the group I belong to, but, it would be better to call 'non-american citizen origin' or just 'expat' or 'newly immigrated'. My point is, 60% Asian kids, majority of them newly immigrated, they don't have inputs to share to nourish american culture, american way of life. Simple example, my son had kind of hard time to get used to 'personal bubble' that is relatively less important in my country, but his friend in school don't know about this personal bubble either, because he also moved to US just last month! This kind of thing..

I have one idea- how about checking the nationality of the students in CV or Stonegate. This will give clearer idea. American public school with how much percentage of non american citizen. But I am not sure this is disclosed information to public.

Well, partially, you saw something in my mind that there is some negative view on certain behavior / culture of certain people from certain country in 'Asia'. I am not implying just one single country because every country has issues, my country too.

By the way, no offense, do you really don't know about certain view towards Asian or just try to get some words out of my mouth?..

According to the Stonegate(left) and Cypress(right) Elementary stats, 23% are English learning kids in SG and only 5% from CV.
If it's true, then the most of them speak fluent English. Is this false?

cTfeqhQl.png

It doesn't seem correct, maybe some statistics bias..

Mety said:
joke4real said:
Mety said:
Mety said:
joke4real said:

SoGhhRBm.png

You don't like Turtle Ridge area? It's different than Turtle Rock. TRock is old as heck. TRidge is like OH built in 2005-ish. Still too old?

Turtle ridge....very nice area, but out of my budget range...also, all floor plan that I visited has kind of isolated kitchen that I don' like.

Mety said:
According to the Stonegate(left) and Cypress(right) Elementary stats, 23% are English learning kids in SG and only 5% from CV.

I'm always amazed that kids from abroad, brought to the U.S. before the age of 10, are able to pick up English pretty quickly.  It doesn't matter the country of origin.  They can speak flawless, unaccented English.

Contrast this to some adults who are never able to get rid of their accents despite being here for 50 years or more.

eyephone said:
joke4real said:
Mety said:
Mety said:
joke4real said:

SoGhhRBl.png

Luckily not yet.. but being advised that I have to be careful taking little kid.

WTTCHMN said:
Mety said:

I'm always amazed that kids from abroad, brought to the U.S. before the age of 10, are able to pick up English pretty quickly.  It doesn't matter the country of origin.  They can speak flawless, unaccented English.

Contrast this to some adults who are never able to get rid of their accents despite being here for 50 years or more.

After I saw my own kid pick up english so quickly, I figure out one thing. This is my theory.

Since kids need less vocabulary (maybe 50 or 100 words)to make their own conversation with their peer, it is much easier for them to initiate foreign language communication. Adults need much more words and grammar becuase they try to express same level of message that they used to say in their country. So, initiating is already difficult. Back to kids, once they started, they expand their verbal expression very easily because what they have to copy from american friends is still quite easy. Adult? Once they got frustrated, they mentally getting worse and thier ego got shrunk, getting shy and taking time to make up some grammatically perfect sentences and notice people watching at them.. thing like that..vicious circle..

Kids got easy start and easily expand.

Maybe people already have mentioned this but how about quail hill ? Location seems quite good esp when given what?s nearby (spectrum , etc) . Schools I hear are decent too with involved parents . I know it was pricey when I last looked there but with the slowdown , should be some deals to be had now .

bones said:
I don't think it's the skin color, but the academic baggage that asian parents bring to the equation.  Lots of outside tutoring, etc.

I never understood why that would be a bad thing. Parents pay thousands of dollars sending their athletic gifted kids to these expensive camps and hire professional trainer for them. We have no problem with that. We also do not seem to have a problem with parents sending their kids to expensive private schools. Why draw the line at tutoring??

joke4real said:
eyephone said:
joke4real said:
Mety said:
Mety said:
joke4real said:

SoGhhRBl.png

Luckily not yet.. but being advised that I have to be careful taking little kid.

Just curious. Does your little kid ride the bike alone or sits in a bycicle trailer while on the trail?

Kenkoko said:
bones said:
I don't think it's the skin color, but the academic baggage that asian parents bring to the equation.  Lots of outside tutoring, etc.

I never understood why that would be a bad thing. Parents pay thousands of dollars sending their athletic gifted kids to these expensive camps and hire professional trainer for them. We have no problem with that. We also do not seem to have a problem with parents sending their kids to expensive private schools. Why draw the line at tutoring??

Bc I don?t send my kid to play sports for 6 hours a day then shuttle he or she off to more hours of the sport. 

bones said:
Kenkoko said:
bones said:

Bc I don?t send my kid to play sports for 6 hours a day then shuttle he or she off to more hours of the sport.

So you don't do that but I'm sure you do what you can to help your kids gain an edge in school and life.

Still don't understand how tutoring is considered a bad thing or a baggage.

Kenkoko said:
bones said:
Kenkoko said:
bones said:

So you don't do that but I'm sure you do what you can to help your kids gain an edge in school and life.

Still don't understand how tutoring is considered a bad thing or a baggage.

Maybe this is the crux of where we disagree... "getting an edge in school".  The problem with the mentality of getting an edge is that it forces a culture where everyone is either forced to follow that or get left behind.  These kids spend 6 hours of their day in school, only to have to go to MORE school... what a life.  I'm all for getting extra help when you need it, but not when it comes at the expense of free/creative play, downtime, sleep, learning other skills, etc.  When I interview Irvine kids for college, I immediately know which kids get heavy tutoring.... the ones who have limited interests/hobbies and summers they can't tell me about.

joke4real said:

What am I getting wrong? You mentioned that your kids are elementary school age. Are you seriously expecting their elementary schoolmates to ? have something to share to nourish American culture and show them the American way of life? ?  These are elementary school kids we are talking about. Seriously?

Yes, I am trying to get some words out of your mouth ( and other?s who feels this way)

This is a forum for discussions. This notion that certain % of Asian = bad because you know wink wink does not make sense to me.

I am Asian myself and I do not know what exactly you are referring to. Which is why I asked in my previous post. What exactly is bad about having high % of Asian students?

Back