350K consider middle class here!

Spendings is good for the economy 😀. Having a budget for saving is good for the individuals when their goals are set. I guess many millennials cant start a budget because they always playing catch up, oh I got to pay my bills first,,,,then I after bills paid I can?t save because there is nothing left to save. It?s the chicken and the eggs finances.

One person spend is another person earn. Recessions will start sooner if everyone not willing to spend.

That?s it, that?s what it will take to start a recession.

daedalus said:
bones said:
I can vouch for that.  Daycare during work hours M-F, with liberal holidays and week-long shut downs, is pushing $1900/month per kid at our daycare.  Kids still in diapers cost even more, and even moreso for those under 1 year old.

Yes it is, that also makes it a convenient place to stash expense without having to question it much.  Children's council San Francisco reports 75th percentile on 2-5 year olds at $1880.  Much like Irvine and much of the rest of OC, location and availability may dictate your expense as much as your choice.

They're pushing north of $53,000 for the two.    It may be completely valid.  It may be the only Waldorf method preschool they could get the 4 year into.  It may be the only place they could get into when they needed.  It may be the 2 year old is still reflecting sub-24 diaper cost. Or it may be occasional babysitter like Netflix heading Entertainment. I'm a little jaded given a $25K food budget.

nosuchreality said:
daedalus said:
bones said:
I can vouch for that.  Daycare during work hours M-F, with liberal holidays and week-long shut downs, is pushing $1900/month per kid at our daycare.  Kids still in diapers cost even more, and even moreso for those under 1 year old.

Yes it is, that also makes it a convenient place to stash expense without having to question it much.  Children's council San Francisco reports 75th percentile on 2-5 year olds at $1880.  Much like Irvine and much of the rest of OC, location and availability may dictate your expense as much as your choice.

They're pushing north of $53,000 for the two.    It may be completely valid.  It may be the only Waldorf method preschool they could get the 4 year into.  It may be the only place they could get into when they needed.  It may be the 2 year old is still reflecting sub-24 diaper cost. Or it may be occasional babysitter like Netflix heading Entertainment. I'm a little jaded given a $25K food budget.

That?s why grandmas (and/or grandpas) are the real MVPs. You have one willing to be your M-F nanny, cook meals and be the occasional date night babysitter and you slash that $53k+$25k budget in half. Bonus points if they can also front some downpayment $$ :)

We used to spend about 4K/month for a while when we had a nanny and Montessori school. Then when both were in Montessori it was about 2600-2800/month. Now we are down to about 2200/month. The lowest it will get to using today?s prices will be about 1600-1700/month for CDC for two kids. We will look forward to that monthly payment until they can stay home from school without supervision which I believe is 12 years old. So by the time our kids our 12 we will have spent about $300,000 on childcare.

That is insane.

bones said:
nosuchreality said:
daedalus said:
bones said:

That?s why grandmas (and/or grandpas) are the real MVPs. You have one willing to be your M-F nanny, cook meals and be the occasional date night babysitter and you slash that $53k+$25k budget in half. Bonus points if they can also front some downpayment $$ :)

We are somewhat blessed in that regard.  My parents and in-laws all live 2500 miles away, but my in-laws visit 2x a year during the summer and winter shutdowns, so we get those weeks covered.  Otherwise we would be burning vacation hours during those weeks.  Some cooking, not much cleaning, but it's a huge difference having someone to entertain the toddler for a bit while we rest.  We are seriously bummed when they fly home.  The rest of the time, other than day care, it's all on us nights and weekends.  We've yet to hire a sitter.

No help with the downpayment though...maybe that's more of a "coastal middle class" thing.    :-X

qwerty said:
We used to spend about 4K/month for a while when we had a nanny and Montessori school. Then when both were in Montessori it was about 2600-2800/month. Now we are down to about 2200/month. The lowest it will get to using today?s prices will be about 1600-1700/month for CDC for two kids. We will look forward to that monthly payment until they can stay home from school without supervision which I believe is 12 years old. So by the time our kids our 12 we will have spent about $300,000 on childcare.

That is insane.

Yep. Everyone talks about saving up for college... we spent that ?tuition? before they were 6 years old.

who needs childcare?  just have the government raise your kids!

Sen. Kamala Harris introduces bill to lengthen school day by three hours

Presidential candidate Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., introduced a bill Wednesday that would lengthen the school day to 6 p.m. to better align with working parents? schedules.

The proposal, first reported by Mother Jones, calls for a three-hour extension of elementary school hours during weekdays and appoints money for the creation of summer programs and activities when school is not in session.

Five-year grants of up to $5 million would go to school districts serving a high number of low-income families to push the end of the average school day from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. in 500 schools. School days typically start at 8 a.m. Teachers and faculty, the bill says, would not have to work additional hours unless they sign up for an extra shift, for which they would be compensated at the rate they get during normal school hours.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/06/sen-kamala-harris-introduces-bill-to-lengthen-school-day-by-three-hours.html

bones said:
nosuchreality said:
daedalus said:
bones said:

Cherish them if you've got them and do everything to keep them healthy.  Once they have an event that then starts needing elder care or a living arrangement, it quickly makes that college tuition child care look like community college fees.

So make the extra hours mandatory for the kids, but optional for the teachers?  Is there some kind of common core math technique needed to make that work?

Kings said:
who needs childcare?  just have the government raise your kids!

Sen. Kamala Harris introduces bill to lengthen school day by three hours

Presidential candidate Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., introduced a bill Wednesday that would lengthen the school day to 6 p.m. to better align with working parents? schedules.

The proposal, first reported by Mother Jones, calls for a three-hour extension of elementary school hours during weekdays and appoints money for the creation of summer programs and activities when school is not in session.

Five-year grants of up to $5 million would go to school districts serving a high number of low-income families to push the end of the average school day from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. in 500 schools. School days typically start at 8 a.m. Teachers and faculty, the bill says, would not have to work additional hours unless they sign up for an extra shift, for which they would be compensated at the rate they get during normal school hours.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/06/sen-kamala-harris-introduces-bill-to-lengthen-school-day-by-three-hours.html

The last gasps before the implosion...
https://youtu.be/iPO1P2gc71A

https://youtu.be/iPO1P2gc71A

daedalus said:
So make the extra hours mandatory for the kids, but optional for the teachers?  Is there some kind of common core math technique needed to make that work?

The language is similar to some California education funding that passed recently that are basically sleight of hand bailouts of LAUSD.

The reason people send their kids to full time daycare is because both mom and dad are working?
What about mom (or dad) stays home and not spend those $3000 a month on daycare? Is it because you'll make more than $3000 a month?

Mety said:
The reason people send their kids to full time daycare is because both mom and dad are working?
What about mom (or dad) stays home and not spend those $3000 a month on daycare? Is it because you'll make more than $3000 a month?

Depending on how much each parent makes, the opportunity cost may be too high. If you have one parent making a lot and one netting about 3k per month then it would make sense from strictly a financial perspective for the lower earning parent to stay home. If you have two high earners then paying for daycare is probably the best route. If one of the high earning parents takes 3-5 years off, or longer, the job market may pass them by

It amazes me that Irvine's cost of daycare/preschool is at least 2x what it costs for me.  I have four kids so I've been paying these expenses for about 12 years now, and it used to be about $600/mo for one child.  Now it costs me about $700-750/mo.

So Irvine's cost of living compared to the rest of OC is:

Property taxes twice as much (mello roos)
High HOA's
$.50 higher gas prices
Daycare costs 2-3x as much

What are some other things that cost more in Irvine compared to the rest of OC?

Should we be factoring these higher costs in when comparing rates of appreciation to the rest of OC?  It seems that you need the higher rate of appreciation to make up for the savings of living in other cities when calculating your MaxROI.

Yeah in other cities daycare is much cheaper. I know a bunch of other people who live outside of Irvine that pay 700-900/ month.

Back