350K consider middle class here!

I agree with this statement.  Hiring a nanny to watch your children vs watching them yourself is something a lot of people do to be able to work.  Although there are a ton of stay at home moms and dads who work from home here.

Compressed-Village said:
It?s a luxury to be able to take care of your children while they?re young and not having to have both parents work to make ends meet.

The amount of time spend with your kids as important as the quality of it. Studies shown kids less likely to get in troubles when parents spend more time with raising their kids vs. having child care or a baby sitter while both parents attempting to provide for their and their children lifestyles,,,so call middle class.

In the end no one care and teaches your children like you do.

My Bay Area friends all think Irvine is ?cheap?

Goriot said:
eyephone said:
Another reason: Cost of living high. To rent a one bedroom in SanFran is around $3k plus or something.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/03/05/median-1-bedroom-rent-sf-3690-month-zumper/

Yup.  6 years ago, I was paying $3,250 + $350 parking space (1 car) = $3,600 for a "STUDIO" at the financial district in SF.
That same apartment costs $3,750 + parking now = $4,100+ =)  Irvine feels so affordable.

lovingit said:

Goriot said:
eyephone said:
Another reason: Cost of living high. To rent a one bedroom in SanFran is around $3k plus or something.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/03/05/median-1-bedroom-rent-sf-3690-month-zumper/

Yup.  6 years ago, I was paying $3,250 + $350 parking space (1 car) = $3,600 for a "STUDIO" at the financial district in SF.
That same apartment costs $3,750 + parking now = $4,100+ =)  Irvine feels so affordable.

Yep... it's all relative. But at least there are significantly cheaper places to live that are Irvine adjacent... does that same kind of proximity exist in near the high-end Bay Area suburbs?

It's all relative, the jobs up north in the SV pay more too.  It's like saying the midwest is cheap to us, but if you don't get the same 6 figure salary that you have here and drop down 30-40% in pay for a comparable job (if they have it out there) it's not as "cheap" anymore. 

lovingit said:

Goriot said:
eyephone said:

This is exactly what I tell some of my friends where one of them wants to be a stay at home mom/dad.  If you stay home, you lose that potential income of making more in the future (promotions, annual salary increases, switching jobs, bonuses, etc.) and trying to get back into the job market after a few years, you may be making a lot less.

The flipside is, you'll never have that time back when the kids are babies/toddlers, so I can see the other side.  But in Irvine, where both the husband/wife/partners most likely make 6 figures+ it's hard to justify quitting a job to forego all the potential income. 

qwerty said:
Mety said:
The reason people send their kids to full time daycare is because both mom and dad are working?
What about mom (or dad) stays home and not spend those $3000 a month on daycare? Is it because you'll make more than $3000 a month?

Depending on how much each parent makes, the opportunity cost may be too high. If you have one parent making a lot and one netting about 3k per month then it would make sense from strictly a financial perspective for the lower earning parent to stay home. If you have two high earners then paying for daycare is probably the best route. If one of the high earning parents takes 3-5 years off, or longer, the job market may pass them by

Thanks qwerty and akkord for your inputs.

For our family, it came down to money vs. baby to be real honest. We both were making decent amount money, but my wife, though she was on her way to promotions and more opportunities, quit her job and dedicated first couple years to take care our kids full time. Of course, I help whenever I can, but it would never be as much as how much she does. Raising kids full time is actually the hardest job/task in case you don't know. So mad respect to those full time moms out there. Sure, our income got cut in half, but we've never felt like we don't have enough money to be honest even though I don't make 7 figures or anything. Some people might say that's missing out opportunities and wasting time for her, but my wife definitely feels like she made the right choice. It wasn't like she's been wanting to quit. She loved her job to be clear.

Going into a little more religious side, I think my wife taking a role of a woman to raise kids full time is something God originally intended for a family to operate and I believe God will take care of ones who make such sacrifice/choice in terms of financial issues since we all worry about that area before making a decision. I believe God will surely take care of a woman who takes the hardest job for her family. We've been experiencing God taking care of us regardless of our income that's only half of the full potential. Not sure how, but we actually feel like there are more in our bank for some reason (no, we don't have debt). But of course there are exceptions and not all family or a wife is in the same situation that can quit her job, so I can't say what we did is the only right way for everyone. Even if you disregard all these religious things, your babies will get mom's full attention so that's the biggest gift you can give to your little ones. Just sharing our experience and thoughts.

akkord said:
This is exactly what I tell some of my friends where one of them wants to be a stay at home mom/dad.  If you stay home, you lose that potential income of making more in the future (promotions, annual salary increases, switching jobs, bonuses, etc.) and trying to get back into the job market after a few years, you may be making a lot less.

The flipside is, you'll never have that time back when the kids are babies/toddlers, so I can see the other side.  But in Irvine, where both the husband/wife/partners most likely make 6 figures+ it's hard to justify quitting a job to forego all the potential income. 

qwerty said:
Mety said:
The reason people send their kids to full time daycare is because both mom and dad are working?
What about mom (or dad) stays home and not spend those $3000 a month on daycare? Is it because you'll make more than $3000 a month?

Depending on how much each parent makes, the opportunity cost may be too high. If you have one parent making a lot and one netting about 3k per month then it would make sense from strictly a financial perspective for the lower earning parent to stay home. If you have two high earners then paying for daycare is probably the best route. If one of the high earning parents takes 3-5 years off, or longer, the job market may pass them by

It?s your opinion regarding your wife staying at home. I don?t think God has anything to do with it. Come on. (No offense)

Mety said:

For our family, it came down to money vs. baby to be real honest. We both were making decent amount money, but my wife, though she was on her way to promotions and more opportunities, quit her job and dedicated first couple years to take care our kids full time. Of course, I help whenever I can, but it would never be as much as how much she does. Raising kids full time is actually the hardest job/task in case you don't know. So mad respect to those full time moms out there. Sure, our income got cut in half, but we've never felt like we don't have enough money to be honest even though I don't make 7 figures or anything. Some people might say that's missing out opportunities and wasting time for her, but my wife definitely feels like she made the right choice. It wasn't like she's been wanting to quit. She loved her job to be clear.

Going into a little more religious side, I think my wife taking a role of a woman to raise kids full time is something God originally intended for a family to operate and I believe God will take care of ones who make such sacrifice/choice in terms of financial issues since we all worry about that area before making a decision. I believe God will surely take care of a woman who takes the hardest job for her family. We've been experiencing God taking care of us regardless of our income that's only half of the full potential. Not sure how, but we actually feel like there are more in our bank for some reason (no, we don't have debt). But of course there are exceptions and not all family or a wife is in the same situation that can quit her job, so I can't say what we did is the only right way for everyone. Even if you disregard all these religious things, your babies will get mom's full attention so that's the biggest gift you can give to your little ones. Just sharing our experience and thoughts.

akkord said:

qwerty said:
Mety said:

I'll probably take flak for this but staying home and taking care of the kids is not *that* hard. I'd much rather do that than deal with co-workers who don't do their work so it makes more work for you or management that doesn't understand what's happening and makes stupid decisions that affect your job. At least with your own kids, you are the one making all the calls and the "compensation" is more enjoyable and rewarding. :)

Now, how can I say this? I was a stay-at-home dad for a few years... but I was also working side contracts so I was doing both. Even my wife agrees that staying home to take care of the kids is much easier than working full time.

But, yes, for us 99%ers, dual income and paying for child care is the only way we can live in Irvine... can't afford even "slowdown" prices on one of our incomes.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'll probably take flak for this but staying home and taking care of the kids is not *that* hard. I'd much rather do that than deal with co-workers who don't do their work so it makes more work for you or management that doesn't understand what's happening and makes stupid decisions that affect your job. At least with your own kids, you are the one making all the calls and the "compensation" is more enjoyable and rewarding. :)

Now, how can I say this? I was a stay-at-home dad for a few years... but I was also working side contracts so I was doing both. Even my wife agrees that staying home to take care of the kids is much easier than working full time.

But, yes, for us 99%ers, dual income and paying for child care is the only way we can live in Irvine... can't afford even "slowdown" prices on one of our incomes.

Maybe your kids are very chill ;D. Lucky you.

irvinehomeowner said:

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

He also clearly has perfect and healthy kids.

I believe God has everything to do with every bit of your life especially if you're a believer. Now that's my belief. If you don't believe that, then you don't believe that. I'm just saying based on what's written in the Scripture. If you want, I can give you verses quotes regarding this beautiful role of a woman in her family ;).

eyephone said:
It?s your opinion regarding your wife staying at home. I don?t think God has anything to do with it. Come on. (No offense)

Mety said:

akkord said:

qwerty said:
Mety said:

Is it a sin for the wife to work? (Come on Mety. Don?t run away from your statement like someone we know) lol

He presses the elevator buttons for all the floors before he leaves.  ;) (I guess it?s legal, but man show no manners) [statement not meant for Met]

eyephone said:
Is it a sin for the wife to work? (Come on Mety. Don?t run away from your statement like someone we know) lol

He presses the elevator buttons for all the floors before he leaves.  ;) (I guess it?s legal, but man show no manners) [statement not meant for Met]

Let me ask you what's more important that will answer your question at the same time.
Is "you" a sin?

I like your illustration of IHO's elevator button. Sorry, IHO, but eyephone brings a perfect illustration here. You press all the buttons and not sure why people are pissed. hahaha.

Mety said:
eyephone said:

Let me ask you what's more important that will answer your question at the same time.
Is "you" a sin?

Do you consider it?s a sin for the wife to work? Yes or no
Let?s take a step further would a pastor or a priest say it?s against the Bible for the wife to work? (Would they tell the wife?s that do work to stop?)

Mety said:
I like your illustration of IHO's elevator button. Sorry, IHO, but eyephone brings a perfect illustration here. You press all the buttons and not sure why people are pissed. hahaha.

Really? Seems contradictory. I've been accused of over discussing an issue, but never running away from one. Just because someone doesn't like my answer doesn't mean I didn't answer it. I've asked tons of questions on the housing analysis thread and no one has answered me but I don't accuse them of pushing elevator buttons. You know what response I get? "You're not my boss so I don't have to answer you."

Mety: Is there ever a question you ask that I don't try to answer? I think you need to rethink the accusations here and look at the accuser before shifting this towards me.

1st floor. 3rd floor. Basement. Roof.

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

He also clearly has perfect and healthy kids.

Not really. Without getting too much into our personal details, quite a bit of my time was taking them to weekly appointments and as tiring as that was, I don't feel it was "hard".

What can I say, I like being with my kids more than working at a desk... or with people who don't care about their job as much as you do.

I would say it?s a hard tough job for stay home moms. It?s not easy and I respect that. (or stay home dads)  ;) ;)

#doublewink

Sounds like Conflict at the work place or something.
It all makes perfect sense. Conflict with others on TI. No need to say more.

irvinehomeowner said:

Back