30 Day Fitness Challenge

I hope that's like a service elevator in a two story building otherwise, IMHO, it's *ssinine.

Which complex is it?  I'm guessing there's a fitness crackpot/nazi either on the HOA board or ranting at the meetings regularly. 

Coleman said:
My wife might be mad if I hired help who wore shorts as short as Pryor's.  In response to the other videos - they are speaking English.  My future offspring needs to be more cultured.  ;D 

NoSuchReality - How long have you had your hired help?

She's been with us three year and sadly is moving on to a corporate job in line with the degree she's completing.  She's been absolutely wondering and a God send.  We're in the process of hiring a replacement and interviewing through Care.com

Prices vary wildly based on your needs, hours, and requirements.  $10-$15 for a new nanny (primarily prior baby sitting etc) or very fresh experience and varying levels of English fluency.  The lower end of that range tends to want cash payment.  The more educated, English as a primary language or fluent is more expensive.  Shorter hours are more expensive.  Part time, most expensive.  $15-$20 is common and quite a few making $20+/hr for experienced nannies.

We also pay two weeks vacation, and paid holiday that align to when both of us has a paid holiday, our nanny gets a paid holiday.  We also pay a reasonable number of sick days.  Since lunch is with our child it's paid.  We're also fine with the use of our internet, school work etc during his nap and flexible during crunch time.  We believe you get what you give.

There's also the other expenses.  We pay quarterly employment taxes, have a business ID, e-account with the SSA, file a W2,carry workers comp on the homeowners insurance for household employers (+$500/yr), FICA taxes, CA SDI, UI, etc add about 9%.  All hours over 40 are time and half.  So a 50 hour week gets paid the equivalent of 55 hours.

Above the table pay will run you in the $600-800/wk range after taxes (not including any tax back out on your tax return).

Damn, all this KBBQ talk has made me want it again.... Think I'm gonna do ATB again this weekend... Hopefully the little one won't go wild!

Ok, back to our health challenge - hint, hint.  :-\

Beer Brats. That's what's for dinner. Actually, this time I'm using Kielbasa instead of Bratwursts. Sauerkraut & Vadalia onion go in a pot, sprinkled w/ brown sugar, pour in a bottle of Pilsner or Ale (pilsner this time.) Brats on top. Served on hoagie buns, split and toasted w/ cheese. I'm doing a new version this time. We'll see how it goes.

Not a low cal meal. But I watched the calories all day, and will still end up with a loss. You can make anything work if you want it bad enough. That's what I love about counting calories.

Now that fall is close enough (never mind that it's 90 degrees outside) I am baking Pumpkin Cheesecake bars.

I can make it work, too!... by smelling it. And watching other people eat it.

Back to fitness talk.. I walked two days in a row this week and tomorrow I have a date with husband.. wondering if I should go to yard house and get wasted or go to a 10 mile hike. Decisions, decisions :) I want to do both, but that won't happen. I am craving for a hike that will leave me wasted though. This summer didn't go as planned. Ate a lot worked out little. Oh, didn't learn to swim as well :/

Any suggestions for a 10 mile hike?

10 Mile hike?

I'd suggest driving to Aliso and Wood Canyon Wilderness Park.  From Irvine, take 5 South exit Alicia.  Turn right on Alicia and continue driving until you pass Aliso Creek.  Turn right on the first street past Aliso Creek. You should see a parking lot on the left and a Mormon church on the right.  Park and pay and follow the directions below.  :D

Park in the dirt lot after paying and start walking on the path to go past the ranger's trailer  Walk down that paved road.  You will walk for about 8-10 minutes. Turn right to enter the actual park, now you should be on a fire road. Keep walking, you will walk over a small creek passing.  Continue on the path way.  One you see a second creek passing on your left take that road.  This will lead you a trail called Mathis.  Mathis is an uphill a bit over one mile in length.  The steepest grade is at the beginning so don't fear.  Then once at the top of Mathis turn left and travel to Top of the World.  Here you will have a view of all of Laguna Beach.  It's a beautiful view.  Now head down the street away from the wilderness park.  You will be walking down a residential street (just FYI).  Continue walking for about 1 mile.  You will come to an area where the street turns 90 degrees to the left.  Turn left and walk about 100 feet.  You will see a steep grade on your right.  Walk down that grade for about 100 feet.  Then, walk up the grade using the large steps on the left.  Follow that path until you meet a paved fireroad. You will walk down that paved grade and then back up.  You should have views of all of South OC on the left and Laguna Beach on the right.  You can walk around and explore that area at will.  You will see a wood structure that is used for seating on the left.  That trail is called Meadows.  Walk down meadows.  It's a pretty steep decline with about 75 switchbacks (or left and right turns).  Continue walking down meadows and you will meet a paved road at a T.  Turn left on that paved road and continue walking back to your car.  BE CAUTIOUS of people on bikes on any of the trails.

Even though bikes need to yield to pedestrians, please stand aside on the trail and let bicyclists pass.  Stopping on a bike is much harder than it seems especially when gravity is pulling the bikes downhill.  Also, taking a 5 second break to let riders pass is not going to ruin your workout.  :)

Have fun and take some photos for us!

HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:
Damn, all this KBBQ talk has made me want it again.... Think I'm gonna do ATB again this weekend... Hopefully the little one won't go wild!
We'll miss you there again.

Maybe we'll go earlier this time... no music lessons this Saturday.

irvinehomeowner said:
HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:
We'll miss you there again.

Maybe we'll go earlier this time... no music lessons this Saturday.

Text me and I'll see if I can get my son to nap earlier lol

HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:
SoCal said:
CZ, do you want to meet up on Monday, Sept. 16 around noon at our usual spot?

See yall there :)

Okay. You promise?  :)

I haven't heard back yet but whenever we go, I'm sure we'll stay a couple hours. Stop by to say hi. Be on the lookout for my Facebook check-in. No description needed. You'll know us right away when you see us.  :)

irvinehomeowner said:
HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:
SoCal said:
CZ, do you want to meet up on Monday, Sept. 16 around noon at our usual spot?

See yall there :)
We should both drop by... hehe.

Really??  :) Hey, wait, it's not nice to tease us & get our hopes up if you don't really mean it.  :'( As Bananarama says, "It's a cruel, cruel summer."

But as incentive, just f.y.i., there is an Urgent Care located mere steps away in that same shopping center. So, when you go into full-blown cardiac arrest due to paranoia / nerves, you will live!

Back