30 Day Fitness Challenge

Tyler Durden said:
Actually you are being optimistic.  Since Social Security will run out of money in our lifetime, we will likely NOT get to retire on the schedule you have above. 

I would hope you are not a wreck at 66 either. 

even if our careers plateau'd where we are now, we are on pace to retire at 55. not counting on getting any social security since like you said that shit will likely not be there. we actually both have pensions though from our first jobs out of college, not counting on those either, but the pensions and social security will be gravy. when i hit 55 ill reevaluate if i still want to work or not. although who knows what could happen along the way that we may not be able to at 55 as planned.

im sure ill be fine at 66, i eat a lot of red meat, my dad did to though and he was all there till 76, then called it quits at 79.  those last three years were rough and that is the part im trying to avoid.  figure if i eat enough red meat a massive heart attack will take me out at 76. although nothing is guaranteed like IHO said so maybe the heart attack comes at 55. i did promise wife i would eat healthier once we had a kid so i need to work on that.

qwerty said:
i did promise wife i would eat healthier once we had a kid so i need to work on that.
Hehe... haven't you being getting take out burgers at various places the last week or so... bad qwerter!

Since you're talking about having two... if you can, have the 2nd sooner than later. It's nice when they are close in age... although the wife might not want to have a second so soon.

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
i did promise wife i would eat healthier once we had a kid so i need to work on that.
Hehe... haven't you being getting take out burgers at various places the last week or so... bad qwerter!

Since you're talking about having two... if you can, have the 2nd sooner than later. It's nice when they are close in age... although the wife might not want to have a second so soon.

i had two cheeseburgers from peters gourmade last night (no fries), although that was after a good weight workout. so yeah, i need to step my healthy eating game up. you guys need to try peters gourmade, good stuff. we are going to wait one year before trying to get pregnant, my wife understands time is of the essence at our old age.

I'm older than CZ will be when she drops her kids off to college. 

When I was younger, I had homeresque energy.  I could come home from work after 5 and still blast in a quarter century beach run on  my bicycle 4 or 5 days a week, come home, eat, and go out or do what not, when I was seriously looking for my wife I was running 3 or 4 dates a week and Match.com campaign on top of the above.

Now it's 10PM and I can barely keep my eyes open on the couch and my pants are a couple sizes bigger and not in the right places.

Do not underestimate the age slowdown.  It's a double whammy with children, you become more idle as you're taking your child to soccer, swimming, the zoo.  Instead of doing 25 miles on the bike and catching a beer and maybe a pick up beach volley game with some friends you're walking around the zoo or aquarium and then having dinner at a PF Changs or Cheesecake factory or a lunch at a overprice hamburger stand.

I wouldn't trade it (having our child late in life) for the world, but my learned lessons to impart is you and your spouse need to schedule your workout time in now, while the baby is still only 1.5 months old, you need to double down on your food focus, and triple down on getting sleep.

I'd also recommend having children earlier.

HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:
I'm glad my fitness thread made it to 50 pages long about fitness/family :)

I am really glad you started the thread, too.  :) It gave me the little push I needed to lose almost 20 lbs. I've been taking it seriously... you did say it's a 300 Day Fitness Challenge, right?  ;)

Tyler Durden said:
Besides if you have asian kids, its their obligation to take care of you in your old age... you just need to hedge your bets and have more than one, so the black sheep of the family is not the only one  you are dependent upon.

Speaking of taking care of someone - I am surprised that I haven't seen anyone reference having live in help on this forum.  My wife and I are seriously entertaining the idea of having live in help* at least for our child's first couple years.

*no they will not raise my child.

Coleman said:
Tyler Durden said:
Besides if you have asian kids, its their obligation to take care of you in your old age... you just need to hedge your bets and have more than one, so the black sheep of the family is not the only one  you are dependent upon.

Speaking of taking care of someone - I am surprised that I haven't seen anyone reference having live in help on this forum.  My wife and I are seriously entertaining the idea of having live in help* at least for our child's first couple years.

*no they will not raise my child.

Do you mean a nanny or a live-in help.  We have a full time nanny but she doesn't live in.  Dedicated child care while we're at work and basic lite housework, primarily child's laundry, child lunch meal and picking up toys and cleans the kitchen and the child's dishes.

She does far more cleaning than we've asked.  We didn't want housework and cleaning up our mess to supersede engaging our child. 

California has an 86 page booklet on paying your nanny correctly and the necessary taxes...

My wife might be mad if I hired help who wore shorts as short as Pryor's.  In response to the other videos - they are speaking English.  My future offspring needs to be more cultured.  ;D 

NoSuchReality - How long have you had your hired help?

irvinehomeowner said:
@nsr:

Where did you find your nanny?

And can you share weekly/monthly cost?

we got a nanny, we pay $11/hour, two weeks of paid vacation per year, paid holidays, if we dont work, neither does she and she gets paid. we were using OC nannies, we didnt go with one of their nannies but they confirmed that the average salary for a 50 hour work week was 500-600.

some of the nannies we interviewed wanted $15/hour for a 50 hour work week which i thought was pretty high. $750/week 3K for 4 weeks.

irvinehomeowner said:
@qwertdad:

Where did you find your nanny if you ended up not using OC Nannies?

a friend had a nanny who had a daughter who was a nanny, she was working for two-three families, she wanted $15/hour or $750 week, OC nannies and Care.com had a range of 500-600 week, so she would have ended taking a pay cut working for us, but she had a friend who was a nanny and out work, she referred her to us, we checked her references and we hired her.

We have a live in nanny referred by a family member.  She goes home on weekends.. Cooks and cleans too!

She's korean/Chinese and I hope my son learns both of those languages :)

Tyler Durden said:
I told the wife we can get a nanny, but the nanny has to be hot  :-*.  Did you use similar criteria?

i tried to get a russian nanny, but the wife wouldnt go for it.

Back