30 Day Fitness Challenge

I obviously try to stay within the necessary caloric intake for the day that MFP spits out.  For me, it's about 1980 calories a day to maintain my body weight.  My daily breakdown of carbs/protein/fat is typically 40-50%/30-40%/10-30%.  Any carbs I eat, I try to make sure they are worth it like whole grain, quinoa, brown rice, good cereals, etc.

One thing that I am trying that seems to be working so far is trying to lose body fat before gaining muscle mass.  Last year I tried to bulk up a lot but noticed that I was keeping a lot of the fat with me.  So rather than try to do two things at once, I'm focusing on getting lean first and then building muscle on top of that.  So far so good.

I'm at the gym or do workouts at least 4x a week so the metabolism is still working pretty well.  I do my best to eat small meals throughout the day.  Thankfully, I don't have a sweet tooth so I could do without any candy/chocolate pretty easily.

As far as what nosuchreality mentioned, I've actually found it easier to have my wife doing the same thing.  That way, we keep each other accountable.

nosuchreality said:
SoCal said:
Not feeling so great. I've been eating so many vegetables the last few days that I'm starting to feel physically ill looking at them. Cravings are kicking in for me. I gave in to them yesterday but didn't let it destroy my entire day. Right now I'm eating roasted cauliflower that I made last night (my very favorite veggie dish) but even my normal favorite is making me sick. I'm MAXED out on vegetables. I think I will give myself a break tomorrow. Which brings me to my next question:

Do you give yourself a fat day? If an entire day is too much, do you give yourself a cheat meal randomly or on a scheduled basis?

What diet plan are you guys following?  What kind of carb restriction are you doing?

I'm on the "Don't Eat Sweets Like a F*ing Pig Diet".

I would describe my actual eating as a crash diet mixed with periodic binges. It's not exactly what I set out for ("slow carb") but that's what's up. Win or lose, I always try to be honest here.

nosuchreality said:
SoCal said:
Not feeling so great. I've been eating so many vegetables the last few days that I'm starting to feel physically ill looking at them. Cravings are kicking in for me. I gave in to them yesterday but didn't let it destroy my entire day. Right now I'm eating roasted cauliflower that I made last night (my very favorite veggie dish) but even my normal favorite is making me sick. I'm MAXED out on vegetables. I think I will give myself a break tomorrow. Which brings me to my next question:

Do you give yourself a fat day? If an entire day is too much, do you give yourself a cheat meal randomly or on a scheduled basis?

What diet plan are you guys following?  What kind of carb restriction are you doing?

Previously I did Atkins with great success.  Zone with moderate success (food prep did me in).  South Beach to an utter failure (wrong timing couldn't get the induction done).

Overall now I just try to eat sensibly but snacking is my weakness.  It does no good to have the veggies instead of chow mein with with Panda plate if you then find yourself getting a Cadbury Creme Egg.

As for carbs, have you tried the whole grain substituting?  For mexican, La Tortilla Factory makes high fiber low carb tortillas that I find remarkably tasty and close in taste to the high carb thing.  I know on low carb sites, finding a reasonable bread substitute is literally a multi-million dollar idea.  That said, I think there is a San Diego bakery that does low carb bread and delivers on a weekly run to OC.  (Must go look again).  Or if we have bread junkies in the group (that's me), could trade off a weekly run to La Jolla.

Personally, cooking for the family and dieting is easily 20X harder than doing it yourself, IMHO.  Food boredom is more tolerable and you can more readily distract yourself and remove yourself from temptation.

Oh, looks like the market has changed. Anybody try this stuff?  http://www.julianbakery.com/  Looks like Mother's and Whole Foods carries it.

Oh my 9g fiber per slice,http://www.julianbakery.com/bread-product/carbzero-cinnamon/I see visions of SNL's Colon Blow

Idea is to do slow carb, but since I am vegetarian, I get bored of beans quickly. Ratio is 35-35-30, but I go over fat everyday due to peanut butter addiction. All carbs come from brown rice/ quinoa/whole grain-whole wheat bread and that Costco tortilla. Cheese, Fage yogurt, almond milk are other regulars in every day food. Sweet tooth.. Hmm.. Either I will go caramel this-caramel that, or it's dark chocolate/ nuts/dry fruits combo. Right now addicted to nutty bits from Trader Joes..

I find it easier when husband diets with me. In fact, my kids also eat whole foods, and desserts have known ingredients.

Homer, been almost four weeks now. Haven't lost an ounce!
Any ideas to jump start?

Does being a vegetarian give you an advantage because you don't eat as much animal fat?

I had a friend who went vegetarian for a few years... but he didn't get any thinner. Then he stopped being a vegetarian and just worked out more and that made the difference.

List out what you ate yesterday and are going to eat today... portion wise too.

I've seen a few heavier set vegetarians.  It's what you eat and the quantity you eat... try 40-40-20 CZ. 

homer_simpson said:

I've seen a few heavier set vegetarians.  It's what you eat and the quantity you eat... try 40-40-20 CZ. 

Breakfast: One whole wheat bread, one tbsp peanut butter, Optimum Protein Shake
Mid-morning: Coffee with almond milk
Lunch: Soup with Trader Joes 17 bean and barley mix, and kale- 1 1/2 cup, 1 precious low fat string cheese, 2 tbsp Virginia peanuts
Mid-afternoon: Protein shake (usually I eat something else at this time, but yesterday was a bit hectic, reached out to first thing I could), Costco Gala Apple
Evening: Mung sprouts and cabbage stir fry - 1 1/2 cup
Dessert: Nutty Bits, 3 pieces
Calories: 1201
Carbs: 124, Protein: 94, Fat: 47 and Fiber 29

This is the about the same everyday, calorie intake somewhere between 1200 to 1400, and protein is a little high- didn't add any vegan protein to the stiry-fry yesterday. That amounts to 30 gm protein and 120 calories, 2 carbs.

Today, same breakfast, lunch was mung sprouts with lots of spices/ onions with fage yogurt.

irvinehomeowner said:
Does being a vegetarian give you an advantage because you don't eat as much animal fat?

I had a friend who went vegetarian for a few years... but he didn't get any thinner. Then he stopped being a vegetarian and just worked out more and that made the difference.

Not really. It depends on what you eat also.. most of my weight gain happened with out of control carb eating last year.
Vegetarian/ Vegan/ Carnivore: as long as you make healthy choices, you can lose weight/ build muscle.

Homer: Went for an hour long walk yesterday, this morning did strength training at the gym with twenty minutes on the elliptical.

CZ - didnt you say you are already at like 16% body fat? most woman average around 25-30%. you probably dont have much to lose.  i dated this girl who was very athletic who had 10-12% body fat, had a six pack. so you are near that range and cant imagine you have much to lose.

Cubic Zirconia said:
homer_simpson said:

Lunch: Soup with Trader Joes 17 bean and barley mix, and kale- 1 1/2 cup, 1 precious low fat string cheese, 2 tbsp Virginia peanuts
Mid-afternoon: Protein shake (usually I eat something else at this time, but yesterday was a bit hectic, reached out to first thing I could), Costco Gala Apple

This is the about the same everyday, calorie intake somewhere between 1200 to 1400, and protein is a little high- didn't add any vegan protein to the stiry-fry yesterday. That amounts to 30 gm protein and 120 calories, 2 carbs.

Today, same breakfast, lunch was mung sprouts with lots of spices/ onions with fage yogurt.

That seems very very low (Calorie wise).  I would try upping your calorie intake to 1700 with exercising.  At 1200/1300 calories your body is barely getting enough food to operate and function.  You are kind of starving yourself... at such a low calorie your body is going to hold onto the fat and store it. 

Up that calorie and do some cardio!

qwerty said:
CZ - didnt you say you are already at like 16% body fat? most woman average around 25-30%. you probably dont have much to lose.  i dated this girl who was very athletic who had 10-12% body fat, had a six pack. so you are near that range and cant imagine you have much to lose.

18.5% as of this morning.. and only four of the six pack out. Once I want to see all six.. So 10-12% is when the magic happens?
I gained some during Christmas.. haven't lost that yet.

homer_simpson said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
homer_simpson said:

That seems very very low (Calorie wise).  I would try upping your calorie intake to 1700 with exercising.  At 1200/1300 calories your body is barely getting enough food to operate and function.  You are kind of starving yourself... at such a low calorie your body is going to hold onto the fat and store it. 

MFP suggests I eat 1200.. I up it to 1400, and also eat my exercise calories (unless it's some crazy 400 number off the elliptical).
I am only 5'4"- 1700...?

Cubic Zirconia said:
homer_simpson said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
homer_simpson said:

MFP suggests I eat 1200.. I up it to 1400, and also eat my exercise calories (unless it's some crazy 400 number off the elliptical).
I am only 5'4"- 1700...?

Seems like your quite active and your body requires more food to fuel your body.  Try it for 2 weeks and I'm sure it'll break your cycle.

Cubic Zirconia said:
qwerty said:

18.5% as of this morning.. and only four of the six pack out. Once I want to see all six.. So 10-12% is when the magic happens?

wow, 4 is more than most women ever see, $hit, 1 is more than most women ever see. yeah 10-12% was the magic number, at least for her. she had good genetics, ate whatever she wanted, greasy stuff too, but she did work out a lot.

qwerty said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
qwerty said:

wow, 4 is more than most women ever see, $hit, 1 is more than most women ever see. yeah 10-12% was the magic number, at least for her. she had good genetics, ate whatever she wanted, greasy stuff too, but she did work out a lot.

yes, part of it is genetics too..
She must be young when you dated her- age/pregnancies kind of change the whole weight dynamics for women. I could get by with dessert every night till almost 30.

homer_simpson said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
homer_simpson said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
homer_simpson said:

I am only 5'4"- 1700...?

Seems like your quite active and your body requires more food to fuel your body.  Try it for 2 weeks and I'm sure it'll break your cycle.

OK- two weeks..
Coming to think of it, I do eat more than I list- I don't add oil. Between lunch and dinner, there is almost 3tbsp of Grape seed oil or Olive oil. May be I should add that also to see how I am faring on fat. (That will come to cutting down on peanut butter, but since something isn't working, time to figure it out!)

Thanks Homer :)

Cubic Zirconia said:
qwerty said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
qwerty said:

She must be young when you dated her- age/pregnancies kind of change the whole weight dynamics for women. I could get by with dessert every night till almost 30.

yeah we were both early twenties. i hear what you are saying on age/pregnancy, but she seemed like the type who would probably lose all the baby weight in two months.

qwerty said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
qwerty said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
qwerty said:

yeah we were both early twenties. i hear what you are saying on age/pregnancy, but she seemed like the type who would probably lose all the baby weight in two months.

Lucky for her :) I lost everything and much more right after the first one, (had this job at the top of the stairs on 22nd street in San Francisco, got down from Bart, walked up the hill every morning.) but second one wasn't that easy- stayed on for a couple of months. Age at pregnancy matters too :)

BTW, are you joining us in the March challenge?

I'll never have a 4-pack.  :'(

Unless it's a 4-pack of SBUX 'nilla frappucinos.

images

Back