$150 to participate in TIC "Discussion Group"

I attended the study group as well and it was pretty frustrating sitting in there with those poor layouts.  At best, those plans that "Barb" showed us were really awful--in my opinion, worse than most of what's out there now. 

And then at the very end of almost 2 hours, she springs that whole "it would be on motorcourt" thing.  I mean, let's get serious here.  (If she opened with: "these are going to be on motorcourts" I think most of the participants would have mentally checked out.)  Even though the consensus among the participants was that they thought the homes would probably be priced around 850-900K, I doubt anyone in the group would be happy about paying that much for a home in a motorcourt.  The pricing of these homes really depend on where it's located. 

The fact that Barb didn't really explore the "motorcourt" issue with the participant leads me to believe that TIC does not care whatsoever whether we, the consumers, do or don't like the motorcourts.  They are just greedy and want to give you the least for your money.  I'd definitely buy resale if TIC only has more motorcourts up its sleeve.

After the meeting, I wished TIC would just cut out the middle man--"Barb" and her cronies--and just host these meetings themselves.  Maybe something is getting lost in translation?

Thermofoil said:
@ PS & SecretGarden, how many FCBs in the focus group? percentage is fine.

If you're asking about the demographics, 70% were Asians and I believe the rest were White and/or Latin.       

SecretGarden said:
Thermofoil said:
@ PS & SecretGarden, how many FCBs in the focus group? percentage is fine.

If you're asking about the demographics, 70% were Asians and I believe the rest were White and/or Latin.       

As I recall, asian, older persian(?), asian couple, young hispanic couple, asian, asian, asian, and asian.  I don't know how many are FCBs but majority of us have lived in Irvine for awhile, I would say average of 8-10 years among the group.  All are working or near retirement, no daddy money here.  One couple did not get to participate because too many people showed up?  Thought it was unprofessional of AIM of booking too many people, I don't think they got paid and showed up for nothing. 

Secretgarden, were you in the same group as I?  It was the group that started at 7:30ish. 

Pstar, what was your group discussion's opinion of Montecito's motorcourt?

SecretGarden said:
I attended the study group as well and it was pretty frustrating sitting in there with those poor layouts.  At best, those plans that "Barb" showed us were really awful--in my opinion, worse than most of what's out there now. 

And then at the very end of almost 2 hours, she springs that whole "it would be on motorcourt" thing.  I mean, let's get serious here.  (If she opened with: "these are going to be on motorcourts" I think most of the participants would have mentally checked out.)  Even though the consensus among the participants was that they thought the homes would probably be priced around 850-900K, I doubt anyone in the group would be happy about paying that much for a home in a motorcourt.  The pricing of these homes really depend on where it's located. 

The fact that Barb didn't really explore the "motorcourt" issue with the participant leads me to believe that TIC does not care whatsoever whether we, the consumers, do or don't like the motorcourts.  They are just greedy and want to give you the least for your money.  I'd definitely buy resale if TIC only has more motorcourts up its sleeve.

After the meeting, I wished TIC would just cut out the middle man--"Barb" and her cronies--and just host these meetings themselves.  Maybe something is getting lost in translation?

I attended as well and agree that TIC didn't seem to care what we thought of the motor court.  During the discussion, some of us went on tangent and we were told to just comment on the features and layout of the interior of the plans.  When she sprung the "its on a motor court" phrase on us, I was a little disappointed.  They must think they are mitigating all the complaints about Montecito being on a motor court by offering a "18 foot driveway on a motor court".  Of course this comes with a price.......the largest plan had a 6 foot distance between the house and the rear brick wall.  I really wish they would just listen to the consumers and give us more land.  I voiced my opinion on that and hope they will consider larger lots.........but don't know if they are listening.

3 TI members in the same session...wow.  would have been cool if you wore shirts with a link to this thread :)

I was there too.

(not really... just trying to throw off the scent in case TIC is trying to track us down)

I had a chance to go to one a while back but they were showing smaller homes (I assume the detached condo products now being sold in SG and LA) so I missed it. I asked them to give me a call when they have larger SFRs but I guess I didn't make the cut (or BK told them not to call me because all I would ask about is the 3rd car garage... hehe).

It seems like the overall vibe from the group was negative in regards to not only the motorcourt but also the floorplan layout and features?

irvinehomeowner said:
I was there too.

(not really... just trying to throw off the scent in case TIC is trying to track us down)

I had a chance to go to one a while back but they were showing smaller homes (I assume the detached condo products now being sold in SG and LA) so I missed it. I asked them to give me a call when they have larger SFRs but I guess I didn't make the cut (or BK told them not to call me because all I would ask about is the 3rd car garage... hehe).

It seems like the overall vibe from the group was negative in regards to not only the motorcourt but also the floorplan layout and features?

If you were there, you would've brainwashed Barb into building more 3CG and bankrupt TIC in the future...

I was definitely negative, I think Barb stop asking me questions towards the end...  they can have the best floorplan in the world, but being on a motorcourt sucks (i already live in a CalPac Detached condo motorcourt, it wouldn't make sense for me to upgrade to another motorcourt).

With that being said, I don't count on TIC building only motorcourts from here on out, they presented Montecito but still built Sonoma.  Motorcourts maybe the way to go for now but I still have some hope on some traditional SFR in the future. 

I just wish they tone down the Great Room concept, or as I like to call it, the Waste Room.  Asians don't decorate that well and we don't need a huge 30x30 room to hang up a calendar on the wall.  All I ask is a nice TV wall, smaller room for better acoustics, and a kitchen that can look into the Family room. 

ps99472 said:
If you were there, you would've brainwashed Barb into building more 3CG and bankrupt TIC in the future...
Au contraire mon frere... they would actually be able to sell those homes for $900k+ instead of having to offer tons of incentives. I think they underestimate the desire for the 3CWG (and driveway)... many families are becoming 3+ car homes with teens driving or college grads moving back in with the folks. I guess I'll just hope I win the Lotto by the time my kids are old enough to drive so I can get a custom 4-car garage in Shady.
I just wish they tone down the Great Room concept, or as I like to call it, the Waste Room.  Asians don't decorate that well and we don't need a huge 30x30 room to hang up a calendar on the wall.  All I ask is a nice TV wall, smaller room for better acoustics, and a kitchen that can look into the Family room.
I don't mind the Great Room, but like you... I think they are making them TOO big where they can put a downstairs bedroom at the rear of the house and save that front space for a dining/music/den/parlor/living room.

Sounds like TIC is going to build these giant motorcourt homes no matter what. Looks like they wanted only opinions of the floor plans only. Most of the focus groups sounded like there were not interested as does most of the commenters for this thread.

When you get to that $800K+ threshold, I think buyers expect a lot more from their homes, including a traditional layout--driveway, backyard, and detached (NOT on a motorcourt). Hopefully they will continue to offer alternatives to the motorcourts and price them reasonably.

Traditional homes don't need to be on huge lots with large square footage. They just need to be efficient in their layout and offer the basics that most Americans take for granted across the country.

TIC are you listening???  ;)

irvinehomeowner said:
test said:
akula1488 said:
eventually TIC will do 3 story homes, perhaps?

3 story homes cost more to build, so no.
If you're saving on land cost, doesn't that even out?

Someone here previously said it only makes sense to go vertical if land costs are high.  If the opposite is true then expect to see more highrises.

iacrenter said:
Traditional homes don't need to be on huge lots with large square footage. They just need to be efficient in their layout and offer the basics that most Americans take for granted across the country.

TIC are you listening???  ;)
Exactly.

Take Las Ventanas, improve their downstairs floorplans a smidge (maybe give them bit more room) and put them away from a toll road and you can easily charge $50k+ more.

2200 sft is more than enough room for a 4 or even 5 bedroom family home.

Based on the fact TIC has conducted so many of these "focus groups" over time, TIC should know better.  Shame on you, TIC! 

I thought I had heard somewhere that TIC dissects everything related to real estate (including consumer thoughts)--up one side and down the other?  If so, my conclusion is they just don't wanna give us what we want.  To them it's all about the biggest profit margin and they'll keep serving up motorcourts--this time with fat houses.  Who are they kidding? 

I would hate to have my guests park all the way down the street and then walk up to my motorcourt home that cost me $900,000+.  And then every night I get to walk down the street and pick up my mail.  So annoying.   

If TIC isn't already doing so, they should have ?Barb and company? read Talk Irvine everyday and provide a synopsis of what Irvine consumers are thinking these days.  That's TIC money better spent.       

For now, hello resale.

Yup at the end of the day, most people would not prefer motor-courts unless the price is dirt cheap. But if all new homes do motor-courts with zero lot lines are pricing like true SFRs, then the demand would be low.

I think every focus group complains about motor-courts but that's not their goal to have inputs on exterior layouts. Their goal is o squeeze the most out of consumer's wallet with the most optimized floor-plan possible.

Wow... I also participated a few years back when they were pushing 40x80 or was it 40x100 lots for 1.2M at 2800 sq feet homes.  At least they were not motorcourt homes, but the floorplans were disappointing and the it was Barb who was running the table.  Even back then they were pushing the great room concept and to me it just looked like a cheaper way to build a home.  Was this the same place next to South Coast (the Barnes & Noble/ Nordstrom Rack side of South Coast).

TIC did build great communities before, they need to go back and study what they did in the past.  TIC no longer builds great "communities" like turtle rock, university park, northwood pointe, quail hill and others.  I'm afraid they are going to butcher up Orchard Hills into guacamole.

Back