$150 to participate in TIC "Discussion Group"

Ask them what housing tract will provide the most safety against the total financial collapse of the United States, civil war, and eventual cannibal anarchy and resurgence of hunter-gatherer cultures over the next 300-600 years.

I always thought that MR's were official taxes created by the city.  Didn't realize until recently that they are just the builder's cost (for building a new community, they have to pay for associated infrastructure?), that are passed down to the buyer.  So I take it that the amount is set by the builder???

I know that the MR's for WBE was a lot cheaper than the other new communities.  Is it because TIC was testing the waters for demand and did they jack up the MRs for other communities after they saw that their homes were selling well?

Would it be better to market an $800,000 new home with no Mello Roos, or a $675,000 priced home and a $700 monthly MR price tag - or of course some variation thereof? Buyers despise MR, but also want new which requires infrastructure expenditures. What is the balance point between price and MR?

Some of the "amenities" at these newer projects are really overvalued relative to existing areas. The benefits found some of these newer homes hardly justify the higher price tag. My guess is that buyers would rather have 7-10 extra feet in their back yard and no community pool.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

test said:
Soylent Green Is People said:
Would it be better to market an $800,000 new home with no Mello Roos, or a $675,000 priced home and a $700 monthly MR price tag - or of course some variation thereof? Buyers despise MR, but also want new which requires infrastructure expenditures. What is the balance point between price and MR?

Consider this.
http://forums.redfin.com/t5/Orange-...rease-the-house-s-value-gradually/td-p/129320
Uh.... something tells me that SGIP has already considered that thread.

Seems like one smart dooood on that forum.  ;)

The question on RF was one of value, not price. MR adds no value to a home, but subtracts from it's marketability in many cases. I'm curious to find out of a price of a home was X without MR and Y with MR which one would be more attractive to buy?

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

Please ask them to stop building next to a landfill or on contaminated soil.  There is still plenty of land in Irvine.  This is just not right.

Until someone shows me an "audited" budget for recent Mello Roos bonds, I'm going to assume that the land developer/s pad those budgets with developer fees....errrr....pure profits.

@ps
You may want to suggest them to work with another builder. They currently use a 3rd party builder that produces nice looking but cheaply built dwellings. They cut corners inside and out.
Hasn't anybody ever noticed cracked stucco outside these new homes?
What about these wobbly kitchen drawers? Has anybody ever tried to pull them all the way then move them sideways to test their stability? ... mdf + plastic, not even plywood. Well, true, wood is an upgrade!! One has the option to build a decent quality kitchen from the get go.

I agree with previous posters that having both front and back yards should be a must even for homes priced in the 600-800k and would help with the related hyper-density issue.

MR at roughly 1$/sqft for 20 yr max. Totally arbitrary and not based on any calculation of the actual cost to develop a new community.
TIC must know these numbers since they have been around for so long.

Pat Star said:
IndieDev said:
test is such a dumbass.

I find it amazing that he/she comes here and actually tries to market mello-roos as some sort of luxury ammenity reserved only for the exclusive people.  To keep the riff-raff out...that's one of the most laugable things I have read on this board, and there has been some pretty funny s#%t posted out here over the years.  (Hi MikeIrvine!).

No thanks, I'll take a home somewhere with no mello roos and pay $150-$200/mo extra HOA for a community with a gate if I want to keep out the riff-raff.  Come to think of it, I don't recall mello roos stopping the riff-raff from rummaging through my trash bins for treasures at 5am on trash pick up day back when I lived in a mello roos community.  Maybe I was not paying enough in Mello Roos?  Taxes there were only 1.6% or so --- do you need to be at 1.8 to 2.0% to "keep out the riff-raff?

Woodbury is one of the higher MR afflicted communities in Irvine and it has tons of "riff raff". All MR does in Irvine is make homeowners broke, and developers richer.

Pat Star said:
IndieDev said:
test is such a dumbass.

I find it amazing that he/she comes here and actually tries to market mello-roos as some sort of luxury ammenity reserved only for the exclusive people.  To keep the riff-raff out...that's one of the most laugable things I have read on this board, and there has been some pretty funny s#%t posted out here over the years.  (Hi MikeIrvine!).

No thanks, I'll take a home somewhere with no mello roos and pay $150-$200/mo extra HOA for a community with a gate if I want to keep out the riff-raff.  Come to think of it, I don't recall mello roos stopping the riff-raff from rummaging through my trash bins for treasures at 5am on trash pick up day back when I lived in a mello roos community.  Maybe I was not paying enough in Mello Roos?  Taxes there were only 1.6% or so --- do you need to be at 1.8 to 2.0% to "keep out the riff-raff?

Typical liberal drivel.  You actually believe money grows on trees and getting rid of MR will lower home prices and lower taxes.  Why don't you GTFO of OC and move to LA with the rest of your DNC comrades then.

IndieDev said:
Woodbury is one of the higher MR afflicted communities in Irvine and it has tons of "riff raff".

It sure does, due to all the low income housing and housing for the seriously mentally ill like Doria at Stonegate.  This is what you get with a city council made up of liberals.

irvinehomeowner said:
test said:
Why don't you GTFO of OC and move to LA with the rest of your DNC comrades then.
This is almost as good as the Redfin link to SGIP.

i am guessing that SGIP = LoansByJW but really, how would test or anyone know that?  that doesnt change the fact that test's view on MR is silly at best.

test said:
IndieDev said:
Woodbury is one of the higher MR afflicted communities in Irvine and it has tons of "riff raff".

It sure does, due to all the low income housing and housing for the seriously mentally ill like Doria at Stonegate.  This is what you get with a city council made up of liberals.

test you like to portray yourself as a plump, land owning member of the OC bourgeoisie. When the apocalypse comes, I'm going to eat you and start at your feet so I can hear you scream until the last bite.

i dont get what MR has to with anything but cost?    Northwood Pointe, Northpark and other areas have MR that amounts to $100-250 per month.  I don't think that's going to be the deciding factor on any NIMBY strategy.    Yeah, Doria is in Stonegate, but Stonegate (Maricopa) has MR of $4200 annually.  What was accomplished?  A lot of this is just a mystery to me.  I've been up to Vista del Verde where they added new streets, graded the hillside, and have new schools...  NO MELLO ROOS!  (No HOAs too in some areas)...   

akim997 said:
i dont get what MR has to with anything but cost?    Northwood Pointe, Northpark and other areas have MR that amounts to $100-250 per month.  I don't think that's going to be the deciding factor on any NIMBY strategy.    Yeah, Doria is in Stonegate, but Stonegate (Maricopa) has MR of $4200 annually.  What was accomplished?  A lot of this is just a mystery to me.  I've been up to Vista del Verde where they added new streets, graded the hillside, and have new schools...  NO MELLO ROOS!  (No HOAs too in some areas)...   
I'm telling you, a large chunk of that Mello Roos is due to developer fee/profits.  Things just don't add up when you think about where interest rates are today versus 2002 through 2005 as well as the costs of infrastructure (large part of it is labor).

Back