Torrey at Beacon Park

Prep kitchen for Torrey runs around $45-48k, panoramic doors around $15k (double if you have doors at 90 degrees to each other).  Ouch.  Who opted for prep kitchens in their new homes?  Sales was pretty adamant that was what everyone wants.  I could care less, we would probably not even use the primary kitchen that much with our lifestyle. 

It's pretty important since most of us will pass right through the prep kitchen as we "prep"are to leave the house and go buy dinner.

ps9 said:
Prep kitchen for Torrey runs around $45-48k, panoramic doors around $15k (double if you have doors at 90 degrees to each other).  Ouch.  Who opted for prep kitchens in their new homes?  Sales was pretty adamant that was what everyone wants.  I could care less, we would probably not even use the primary kitchen that much with our lifestyle.

These prep kitchen options remind me of formal living rooms that used to be popular. You'd have a family room that you used, and then a formal living room set-up perfectly not to be touched.

Kitchens in $1M+ new homes are large enough to fit two ovens, a six-range stovetop, a warming drawer, and a mini-fridge. What purpose can a prep kitchen possibly serve that your kitchen can't?

To keep the main one clean, and since most are integrated into the big room with family/living, keeps away from guests and kids. 
Or just a baller to have others cook for you in the prep kitchen.

AW said:
To keep the main one clean, and since most are integrated into the big room with family/living, keeps away from guests and kids. 

Right, so it's no different than your grandma's house with that formal living room that nobody was ever allowed to enter.

Prep kitchen may be useful if you have that pesky MIL that either lives with you or visits for months on end wok-ing up 9 oily courses daily with prep that starts at 7am daily for 8 hours. That alone may make me fork over $40k.

Perspective said:
AW said:

Right, so it's no different than your grandma's house with that formal living room that nobody was ever allowed to enter.
I have an Indian friend whose grandma used to live with them and she had the formal living room set up as a shrine to all of her gods.  I would regularly see her in there kneeling in front of a huge brass cobra.  I never dared go in there because some of those god statues were pretty darned scary.

bones said:
Prep kitchen may be useful if you have that pesky MIL that either lives with you or visits for months on end wok-ing up 9 oily courses daily with prep that starts at 7am daily for 8 hours. That alone may make me fork over $40k.

Hey, I'd think I'd take that option over dealing with dream dinners, blue apron, and/or take out 5 days a week!

Perspective said:
AW said:

Prep kitchen can be functional, especially if major cooking is done, talking about really strong stuff, keeps away from the main rooms.

We have no such cooking skills so it'd be wasted on us

I'm thinking of just going with more living space via flex room or the 'Tiger Den' upgrade.  Speaking of super expensive floorplan options, did anyone see the ridiculous sized showers in the Torrey models?  Getting out of hand IMO. 

I'd never do a prep-kitchen, but I would be intrigued with one of those outdoor kitchens. I pretty much do all my cooking outdoors on the bbq anyway so would be nice to just have a full kitchen out their (presuming you had the lot size). Then the inside one is always clean and wife is happy and hubby is happy cause he can enjoy the great outdoors and the smell of red meat on an open flame, haha. 

That $45-$48k prep kitchen option is pretty step.

For that amount of money, a family can eat out everyday for the next few years. 

lnc said:
That $45-$48k prep kitchen option is pretty step.

For that amount of money, a family can eat out everyday for the next few years. 

Ya but after all that food is eaten they will still come home to a house without a prep kitchen.

I would rather go for a pantry if that comes in lieu of prep-kitchen. A pantry will help de-clutter the kitchen.

Purple said:
I would rather go for a pantry if that comes in lieu of prep-kitchen. A pantry will help de-clutter the kitchen.

The Torrey Plan 3 includes a tandem 3-car garage, but the tandem portion can be upgraded to a craft room (cabinets and counters), flex room (empty), or prep kitchen.

The site plan for Torrey is simple. How much of a discount should the lots backing Irvine Blvd receive relative to similar lots in the two cul-de-sacs?

$50k?  Our previous home got dinged for about that much for backing a busy street by the appraiser during refi.  Rumor has it, phase 2 will jump to the homes backing Irvine Blvd, the homes in the middle between Ridge Valley and Bosque should be ok, stay away from the edges where you'll hear more brake squeal and acceleration noise.

$50K sounds like a difference in price that would make me consider the Irvine Blvd-backed lot over the same sized lot in a cul-de-sac further away from Irvine Blvd.

One of these models (I think Plan 2) had an Equinox Patio Cover.  This is like my dream backyard feature.  It's a motorized louvered patio cover and you can set it to move automatically with the sun, etc.  I was so excited to see it in real life (weird, I know).

I got a quote for one of these for my back yard.  From the looks of this one (size, pillars, etc.) I would venture to say it runs about $35k - $40k just for this cover. 

2vio374.jpg

Back