Torrey at Beacon Park

Just did a quick drive by:

60 mph this portion of Irvine Blvd, traffic lights at Ridge Valley and also another one sandwiching the other end.  Road noise will be a factor for the whole community.  The trees they're putting up won't be mature enough for any sound deflection.  Any PP residents bordering Irvine Blvd care to comment on the road noise?

French Indies detailing. During the early French colonization building materials shipped to the new world to build new villages. The shipping processes across the Atlantic meant not shipping heavy materials that will sink the ship that carrying heavy loads. The preferred materials of choice were light wood moulding and timbers for structural beams and columns. The new structures had post and beam expression aesthetics where the walls were non load bearing and in filled between structural posts. In the new world the French colonists had no access to heavy buttressing foundation materials like the way the French built solid architecture back home. The "builders" utilized local stones and silts to create raised pier foundations and spanned floor joists several feet above the ground between the structural piers. The raised floor was ideal for protection against torrential flooding and moisture damage. Shortage of good building materials the local builders had to use local materials harvested from high water content trees and twigs. That meant the wood was soft with no structural integrity. Storm shutters, decorative detailing, and non structural ceiling finishes and furniture often were made from twigs and rattan. The high humidity, heat and Bugs were a problem. Outdoor porch, window devices and mesh netting were a big part of the functional aesthetic. Sleeping porches, screen porches, verandas, high paramid ceilings with clerestory windows, ceiling fans and cross ventilation were method to reduce and dissipate heat and made the homes livable. The exterior walls were often boards because it was easy to repair a damage section of a wall from a severe storm than patching and blending the entire wall if the wall was built in plaster. In summary, Stone foundation, steps to the front porch, clad board wall, hip roofs and storm/ awning style shutters and shingle roofs are the characteristics of the St Augustine styles. Over several  centuries stone walls gave permanence to buildings when slave labors were readily available.

irvinehomeshopper said:
In summary, Stone foundation, steps to the front porch, clad board wall, hip roofs and storm/ awning style shutters and shingle roofs are the characteristics of the St Augustine styles. Over several  centuries stone walls gave permanence to buildings when slave labors were readily available.

Sounds like the "Fantasy Island" house at the LA Arboretum in Arcadia.

these homes are 3,314 to 3,836 sq ft. so the MR will range from $9,961 to $11,891.  my house is 3K sq ft with 6,600 MR, in Beacon Park my house would have a $9,027 MR. God damn that is high. i thought i was already getting ripped off, GP is taking with vaseline. they need to change the property tax laws. Still not sure how this is legal. very unfair.

The link says maximum Mello Roos per year. I am sure PP also had a similar maximum. May be the new PP residents can chip in whether the actual MR is the same as the maximum or whether they are lower than the maximum.  In PP the MR was also subject a 2% annual increase on top of the first year rate.  Is the maximum MR also subject to 2% increase?

[/quote]

Irvine Dream said:
The link says maximum Mello Roos per year. I am sure PP also had a similar maximum. May be the new PP residents can chip in whether the actual MR is the same as the maximum or whether they are lower than the maximum.  In PP the MR was also subject a 2% annual increase on top of the first year rate.  Is the maximum MR also subject to 2% increase?

PPs MR are lower.  The chart I got looked the same - says "maximum special tax for fiscal year 2013-2104" and I got charged the max.  PP is in Improvement Area No 1 within the GP CFD, whereas the chart Test linked is for Improvement Area No 4.  Not sure if that makes a difference or not.  If it is indeed a different schedule, then yea, wow.  That's a lot of MR.

Test has posted similar charges for columbus square and greenwood and both times the actual mello roos matched the maximum amount. builders and governments/school districts dont like to leave money on table.

qwerty said:
these homes are 3,314 to 3,836 sq ft. so the MR will range from $9,961 to $11,891.  my house is 3K sq ft with 6,600 MR, in Beacon Park my house would have a $9,027 MR. God damn that is high. i thought i was already getting ripped off, GP is taking with vaseline. they need to change the property tax laws. Still not sure how this is legal. very unfair.

PS9 has confirmed torrey MR at 10K.

torrey1_zpsrfzpw2uh.jpg

torrey2_zpshnuxbu0m.jpg

Plan 1 preliminary

Overall the floor plan looks pretty good and since there's no 3CWG, I'll take this 2 CWG + 1 tandem garage.  However,  the home with high MR usually come with a slightly lower price tag, and combination of high price + high MR is a little bit hard to swallow. 

Yeah we can forget about the low $1 million price point.  $2500/ month for just the MR/property tax/HOA.  Repeat monthly for 30 years before that changes, ahhh wait, forgot about the 2% annual MR increase, doh!

thelandofnoland said:
Just to give people an idea (not to support Brookfield or anything), if you include mello-roos into the purchase price, here's what happens:

La Vita at Orchard Hills, Plan 1    3400 square feet        $1,504,535 with options except flooring
Maturation: 40 Years
Mello-Roos: $6,619.93 Approx. (1.5%)

After Factoring in Mello-Roos Into Purchase Price: $1,769,330

Torrey at Beacon Park, Plan 1      3314 square feet        $1,400,000
Maturation: 50 Years
Mello-Roos: $10,000.00 Approx. (1.8%)
Subject to 2% Rise per Annum

After Factoring in Mello-Roos Into Purchase Price: $2,245,790
You are technically going to pay (after 50 years*) $850K just on Mello Roos!
*You won't be living there for 50 years (unless it is something special), but still even 25 years equates to $425K extra.

Torrey is out the window for my expectations.

La Vita's purchase price equivalent that the MR translates to at 3.75% for 40 years is about an extra 137K. For torrey, 50 years at 3.75% its about 225K.

Back