Sticker SHOCK after 1st Design Center Visit

Paris167 said:
So white thermafoil is the standard cabinet but it looks so cheap and basically it's a whole house cabinet upgrade or nothing.
So the standard is thermafoil and not white painted wood? In a $1.x+ new home in The Groves?

That doesn't sound like "luxury" to me.

Paris167 said:
WTTCMN said:
Hey my favorite plan 1 Amelia is only $1.7m+!
Wonder what the price cut off is for thermafoil at the groves?

Maybe $1.6mil and below. Besides Capella being in the $1.3-$1.4 range everything else at the groves is $1.6mil and above. Maybe it depends on the builder? I should ask TM what standard cabinets they offer for Savierro - bet you it's thermafoil

Nope, it's not.  Saviero also gets Wolf appliances.

WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Paris167 said:
So white thermafoil is the standard cabinet but it looks so cheap and basically it's a whole house cabinet upgrade or nothing.
So the standard is thermafoil and not white painted wood? In a $1.x+ new home in The Groves?

I think in the New Home Company stuff, the standard is NOT thermafoil.

I bought in Amelia and thermafoil is the standard for cabinets.

Dresden215 said:
WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Paris167 said:

That better be come new fangled super deluxe thermofoil on that high $1mil home.

WTTCMN said:
Dresden215 said:
WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Paris167 said:

Yikes! But I guess if you're buying a $1.8m home, what's another $10-30k to upgrade cabinets. Please tell me it's not more than that for a half decent upgrade.

The whole house cabinet upgrades were between $2,600-$24,000. Since the kitchen cabinets sets the tone for the rest of the house, you're inclined to go with the top tier cabinets. This is our second new home construction and just like our first purchase, EVERYTHING you see in the model is practically an upgrade. DC options tend to be a 50-100% mark up.

[/quote]

"What is luxury?"  It's all relative.  To be clear, buying a new home is a luxury for others, whether it's with thermafoil or not.  Don't be a hater, drive outside your hood and take a breath of humility.  ;)

thatOSguy said:
Some NP asking prices are out to lunch. Ignore asking price and bid what you think is reasonable. One will click.

9 Atascadero may be out to lunch at $1.725M or $473/sf.
It's your hood, so what's your take on a reasonable price?  #justaskin

Good god Jim, is that thermafoil?  #hardlycallthatluxury

Dresden215 said:
WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Paris167 said:

Thermafoil looks tacky, cheap, and tasteless. The builder gives you the cheap cabinets, as they assume you will upgrade it.

raisingboys said:

"What is luxury?"  It's all relative.  To be clear, buying a new home is a luxury for others, whether it's with thermafoil or not.  Don't be a hater, drive outside your hood and take a breath of humility.  ;)
I didn't market The Groves in OH as "luxury" homes... TIC did.

If you're buying in the low to high million range... the expectation is more than just thermofoil... but then again... I also expect more than just a 2-car garage and a single downstairs living space at that price.

Humility is for Northpark buyers. :)

eyephone said:
Thermafoil looks tacky, cheap, and tasteless. The builder gives you the cheap cabinets, as they assume you will upgrade it.
I actually don't think thermafoil looks that bad but am surprised they are using it on the $1mil+ "luxury" homes that are...

TIC said:
[...]
set against a backdrop of rare natural splendor and proximity to working avocado groves highlight an incomparable Irvine lifestyle.
[...]
Tucked behind dramatic entry gates, the Groves offers the village?s most exclusive address.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
I actually don't think thermafoil looks that bad but am surprised they are using it on the $1mil+ "luxury" homes that are...

TIC said:
[...]
set against a backdrop of rare natural splendor and proximity to working avocado groves highlight an incomparable Irvine lifestyle.
[...]
Tucked behind dramatic entry gates, the Groves offers the village?s most exclusive address.
If thermafoil cabinets were placed in the laundry room, I would have no issue. But in the kitchen - no goo (no good)

Back