Sticker SHOCK after 1st Design Center Visit

GH said:
I could be wrong, but I think if you go with the builder, all your wires will be behind the drywall, but if you go with outside contractor, it will be visible (you wouldn't want them either to fish in/out wiring inside the drywall).  Personally, for that reason alone, I would go with the builder if you really wanted the speaker system.

I think that's right on GH.  If you go with the builder you get the speakers like the model homes, the ones that's almost invisible in the ceiling.  If you do it after COE you'll get those you see in Best Buys, those rectangular or square blocks that comes out of the ceiling with a few inches of wires in the back.  It comes down to the look you want.

WTTCMN said:
We installed ceiling speakers after COE and had them hide the wires in the crown molding (also after COE). Not sure about the others. Can prob do some hiding in baseboards?

That's a good idea.  Were you planning on hiring a contractor to come out and do that for you after COE?  If you can that's a potential money saver there.  You probably can customize if more too.

I upgraded my baseboards after COE when I upgraded my flooring.  If you were planning on doing the same, you could upgrade your sound system first then upgrade your flooring/baseboards after COE. 

irvinehomeowner said:
Wires can be hidden in the ceiling after market.

But isn't wireless prime time? :)

Can hidden speakers be done as a DIY or should it be reserved for a contractor?

Has wireless speakers caught up to the point of 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound?

You can just get the pre-wiring done by the builder.  All the wires are in the walls and they leave hole cutouts in the ceiling for you to install. 

I would definitely do that but get the speakers with actual speaker sellers.

Paris167 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
You can just get the pre-wiring done by the builder.  All the wires are in the walls and they leave hole cutouts in the ceiling for you to install. 

I would definitely do that but get the speakers with actual speaker sellers.

We were definitely going to prewire so nothing sticks out of walls but the builder cost to actually install speakers (5 surround sound speakers in the great room) and speakers (2 each) in 3 additional rooms would be about $1900. Is this worth it??? I'm sure I can get cheaper after COE but if outside guys charge me like $1500 then I'd rather go with builder for that difference.

How much would it cost to install speakers if prewire is in place?

I have not priced out the speakers so I can't tell you.  But I believe that you can shop around to get the speakers that you want for a lower price.  Installation wouldn't be too much especially pre-wired.  You should visit an audio/video place to see what's available and at what prices.

Just get wireless for speakers. You will need access to an outlet for the receiver, but it's a fine option if pre-wire isn't

Paris167 said:
eclipxe said:
Just get wireless for speakers. You will need access to an outlet for the receiver, but it's a fine option if pre-wire isn't

Do you have experience with wireless - how is the quality compared to the wired ones...same?
Wired speaker is better.

I have a soundbar and a wired subwoofer... that's enough for me.

Had a wireless subwoofer but then you need another outlet for it and it sucks more precious non-solar electricity.

Whoever invented the soundbar/sub combo must have had me in mind.

aquabliss said:
installmylights.com does surround system installs as well.  They're very good and professional, would recommend them.

How much do they charge? I MIGHT give them a call.

eyephone said:
Paris167 said:
eclipxe said:

Do you have experience with wireless - how is the quality compared to the wired ones...same?
Wired speaker is better.

Nah, with a decent system you can't even tell it's wireless. It's not compressed audio.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDV-N7100W-Channel-Wireless-Speakers/dp/B00C27S0M4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1405573184&sr=8-6&keywords=wireless+5.1

eyephone said:
aquabliss said:
installmylights.com does surround system installs as well.  They're very good and professional, would recommend them.

How much do they charge? I MIGHT give them a call.

They're not cheap, but you don't want to do this cheaply.  I didn't do speakers with them but they charged me approx:
Ceiling fan install and assembly - $100ea if prewired, $230ea if no jbox.
Plasma TV wiring (conduit) and outlets in middle of wall (making it wall mount ready) - $200.  They did this very cleanly and looked professional.

Just give them a try, the owner Andrew comes out and gives free estimates.  He is absolutely zero pressure and his quotes are valid for 1 yr.

Multi room wired?  Alarm wired system?  Let's not go back in time here guys.. everything is wireless now and the wireless works great! 

I would just get your great room prewired for surround sound.  Do you know what speakers they are giving you if you bought it all through them?

Back