Sticker SHOCK after 1st Design Center Visit

Paris167 said:
jmoney74 said:
Try to negotiate?  I negotiated with my designer.  I really just wanted most of the flooring done before we moved in.

What?! I have the option of negotiating prices?? Anyone have success with that with the Taylor Morrison design center?

I would try.. seems like your best option is to go outside anyways.  Just say you got way better pricing elsewhere and see what happens.  What's the worse that can happen?  they say no.  big whoop.

Paris167 said:
qwerty said:
Paris167 said:
So white thermafoil is the standard cabinet but it looks so cheap and basically it's a whole house cabinet upgrade or nothing. I wanted to upgrade the cabinet a bit more than that standard cheap looking thermafoil

You just made enemies with like 90% of the people here who have white thermofoil in their brand new homes :)

Lol!! :) sorry - just a difference in taste. Should have thought of that before making such a opinionated comment  :D

Don't apologize-- TI is all about opinionated comments. 
Besides, your comment is no more offensive than saying the six inch white tile the builder throws in looks cheap.
Or the sky is blue.
Or little yipey dogs are annoying. . . .

White cabinets are nice.  Thermafoil-- not so much.

But, there's a wide range for cabinet upgrades.
You can get pretty nice cabinets throughout the home for about $6K.
Only the very highest upgraded cabinets are outragous.

Paris167 said:
So we have a consult with the speaker people today.

I love the built in speaker systems so I think we'll get that through the builder. Do you think we should just get prewiring only or also get the speaker system - the cost difference is $1k or so.

Anyone get an alarm system? Should I get prewiring for this now or do you think we can get it later after COE?

Oh and I wanted a rain shower in the master bath - can I get that after or will that be a pain to add later?

And there's options for smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors - Isn't that included by law??? Why do I have to pay extra for these?

And WHY are all of these features OPTIONS on a $1.4mil dollar home, it should be included - stupid irvine - so ridiculous.  :mad:

I would say get the prewiring for the sound system but go outside for the actual speakers.  You have a lot more choices and much lower prices.  Ditto for ceiling fans.

As for the rain shower, it depends on what it is.  If it is a plumbing thing, I would do it through the builder.  But if it's just a change in the attachment, I see no need to pay the premium.

I can't really speak about the alarm system (which I think is pretty pointless for Irvine).

The smoke detector/CO monitors thing is weird but maybe it's for extra detectors over what is required by law.

O Hills said:

From my experience, there is very little selection for cabinets.  IIRC, We had the choice of like 4 colors and 3 design styles.

Paris167 said:

I love the built in speaker systems so I think we'll get that through the builder. Do you think we should just get prewiring only or also get the speaker system - the cost difference is $1k or so.

Anyone get an alarm system? Should I get prewiring for this now or do you think we can get it later after COE?

Oh and I wanted a rain shower in the master bath - can I get that after or will that be a pain to add later?

And there's options for smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors - Isn't that included by law??? Why do I have to pay extra for these?

And WHY are all of these features OPTIONS on a $1.4mil dollar home, it should be included - stupid irvine - so ridiculous.  :mad:

Speakers get outside.. just have them do the wiring.

All new alarm systems are wireless.. don't bother paying for that.  You can get most systems in for free these days.

Yes, smoke/carbon detectors are required by law.  They are charging you for these?  what a sham.  I think it has to be there for appraisal. 

Irvinecommuter said:
O Hills said:

From my experience, there is very little selection for cabinets.  IIRC, We had the choice of like 4 colors and 3 design styles.

I think there were at least six styles and four colors, plus glazing etc.
The prices range from around $2K to $20K.

WTTCMN said:
Paris167 said:
jmoney74 said:
Try to negotiate?  I negotiated with my designer.  I really just wanted most of the flooring done before we moved in.

What?! I have the option of negotiating prices?? Anyone have success with that with the Taylor Morrison design center?

Yea I don't know about negotiating. J$$$ bought from Lennar. They sub out their design services to a 3rd party. That's prob why he was able to negotiate.

You can also negotiate with the builder before buying. I was able to get an over $20k design center credit from the builder.

Paris167 said:

Alarm system - If you can get prewiring for a decent amount, I suggest getting it through the builder. If it's too much and unreasonable like ours, just go wireless after COE. I wanted prewire but it was just too much. We have Cox Home Security now and I'm very happy with it.

Rain Shower - I remember our designer said it's useless since the water flow is controlled, you're not really going to get the most out of it.

Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide - yes, it should be included.

my suggestion - anything behind the wall, get it

paperboyNC said:
WTTCMN said:
Paris167 said:
jmoney74 said:

Yea I don't know about negotiating. J$$$ bought from Lennar. They sub out their design services to a 3rd party. That's prob why he was able to negotiate.

You can also negotiate with the builder before buying. I was able to get an over $20k design center credit from the builder.

When?  Where?  Builders will give incentives in a slow market, but not now in Irvine.

O Hills said:
paperboyNC said:
WTTCMN said:
Paris167 said:
jmoney74 said:

When?  Where?  Builders will give incentives in a slow market, but not now in Irvine.

I think he got credit because he lives in Portola Springs

Paris167 said:
How did you swing that? Please share your strategies??

I visited the model homes and asked the sales staff "Are you open to negotiation / incentives?" If they said no I walked. I preferred to get a deal (I paid about 10% less than other Portola Springs builders) than get the "perfect" floor plan and it just so happened that my wife's favorite floor plan (dual master closets, woohoo!!) was also one of the most motivated sellers.

There are still new developments that will give discounts and design credits. I stupidly didn't use a realtor when I bought. Hopefully you are and your realtor can give you pointers.

If you are already under contract and made a deposit it's too late to negotiate with the builder on design credits.

paperboyNC said:
Paris167 said:
How did you swing that? Please share your strategies??

I visited the model homes and asked the sales staff "Are you open to negotiation / incentives?" If they said no I walked. I preferred to get a deal (I paid about 10% less than other Portola Springs builders) than get the "perfect" floor plan and it just so happened that my wife's favorite floor plan (dual master closets, woohoo!!) was also one of the most motivated sellers.

There are still new developments that will give discounts and design credits. I stupidly didn't use a realtor when I bought. Hopefully you are and your realtor can give you pointers.

If you are already under contract and made a deposit it's too late to negotiate with the builder on design credits.
Like I previously said PS area you can get design credits, don't even think about it in OH.

Back