Sticker SHOCK after 1st Design Center Visit

eyephone said:
If you read the previous threads regarding upgrades - get the flooring done outside.

You will save 20-30% on flooring, even with demolition, with outside flooring company.

However, I am not sure how much you will save on kitchen and bathroom upgrades.  Does anyone know if DC charges a lot for bathroom upgrades like mosiacs/backsplash and kitchen upgrades like backsplash and granite vs outsiders?

Paris167 said:
irvineboy said:
What brand of cans do they install and how much do they charge?

Not sure what brand of cans but they cost $135 each.

The speakers builder provides are CRS6 one speakercraft speakers. Do you guys know if this is good?

And with a lot of the advice I got I'll probably do the granite, bathroom shower and floor tile, kitchen granite and backsplash with builder.

You can get the backsplash outside.

Paris167 said:
irvineboy said:

The speakers builder provides are CRS6 one speakercraft speakers. Do you guys know if this is good?

And with a lot of the advice I got I'll probably do the granite, bathroom shower and floor tile, kitchen granite and backsplash with builder.
I would just get pre wire for the speakers. Then buy the speakers outside and have them installed. There's better speaker brands out there.

jmoney74 said:
Multi room wired?  Alarm wired system?  Let's not go back in time here guys.. everything is wireless now and the wireless works great! 

I would just get your great room prewired for surround sound.  Do you know what speakers they are giving you if you bought it all through them?

I would agree with this.  The great room is where you want the pre-wired system.  Most other rooms/area are small enough where a stand alone system would be sufficient.

Paris167 said:
irvineboy said:

I would do lights with the builder.  Electrical and structural. 

AS for the list you put up, that's what I would do.  You can get the backsplash outside but I don't think the difference is that much. 

irvineboy said:
eyephone said:
If you read the previous threads regarding upgrades - get the flooring done outside.

You will save 20-30% on flooring, even with demolition, with outside flooring company.

However, I am not sure how much you will save on kitchen and bathroom upgrades.  Does anyone know if DC charges a lot for bathroom upgrades like mosiacs/backsplash and kitchen upgrades like backsplash and granite vs outsiders?

For what it's worth, we priced it outside and couldnt beat the DC by much.

Paris167 said:
So we have a consult with the speaker people today.

I love the built in speaker systems so I think we'll get that through the builder. Do you think we should just get prewiring only or also get the speaker system - the cost difference is $1k or so.

Anyone get an alarm system? Should I get prewiring for this now or do you think we can get it later after COE?

Oh and I wanted a rain shower in the master bath - can I get that after or will that be a pain to add later?

And there's options for smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors - Isn't that included by law??? Why do I have to pay extra for these?

And WHY are all of these features OPTIONS on a $1.4mil dollar home, it should be included - stupid irvine - so ridiculous.  :mad:

Paris,

Re: alarm system

You can do the wireless alarm system, with motion detectors and other options.  I did it myself in our current house and it was simple to install with the company's help and videos.  I paid about $300 for products and $40/mo for a 2600 sq ft home.  It included /CO2 and fire alarm detectors wherein they call the FD. 

Protect America.  And there are many other companies that offer this.

O Hills said:
White cabinets are nice.  Thermafoil-- not so much.

But, there's a wide range for cabinet upgrades.
You can get pretty nice cabinets throughout the home for about $6K.
Only the very highest upgraded cabinets are outragous.

Just curious about thermafoil.  Why do you think it's not as nice?  Appearance or quality?  We may just get the thermafoil because it's standard and we have it in our current, besides it peeling after 15 years, it was easy to clean with the kids.

raisingboys said:
O Hills said:

Just curious about thermafoil.  Why do you think it's not as nice?  Appearance or quality?  We may just get the thermafoil because it's standard and we have it in our current, besides it peeling after 15 years, it was easy to clean with the kids.

It's just a cheaper/lower qulity material than wood.
It's like comparing wood floors to laminate or oak furniture to OSB/particle board.
It may be more functional and the best choice for you, esp. raising boys, but it's not "nice."

Just about anything the builder includes as standard will not be very nice (ceramic tile, cheap carpet, builder's paint). 
They're hoping you upgrade through their design/profit centers.

Did you buy in OH?

IMHO, thermafoil screams cheap and doesn't belong in a house over $1.3M (except the laundry room, where I would upgrade nothing). 

OCgasman said:
IMHO, thermafoil screams cheap and doesn't belong in a house over $1.3M (except the laundry room, where I would upgrade nothing).

Totally agree, but it's not uncommon in resale at that price point.

Paris167 said:
raisingboys said:
O Hills said:

Nothing is wrong with thermafoil, it's just a matter of different tastes. I really like the cabinets with a lot of detailing on it so to me it was worth the upgrade. Especially because it was going to be the first thing you see in the open space with the kitchen cabinets and go on all the bathrooms, linen cabinets, master bath etc.

But some people prefer thermafoil and will put their $$ into upgrading something else like flooring or electrical etc.

But with young kids anything that cleans off easily is priority #1! especially with boys  :D

Thanks!  :)

It's like comparing wood floors to laminate or oak furniture to OSB/particle board.
It may be more functional and the best choice for you, esp. raising boys, but it's not "nice."

Just about anything the builder includes as standard will not be very nice (ceramic tile, cheap carpet, builder's paint). 

Did you buy in OH?
[/quote]

I will definitely look into other options besides thermafoil...and just saran-wrap my cabinets for the next couple of years.  ;D

We just gave our deposit, but haven't signed the purchase agreement.  But I'm trying to find a "steal" at Northpark, Saratoga plan with a porte cochere in a good location.  If something comes up with our criteria, we might just buy in NP.  Northpark meets our family's needs and feels more practical.  OH would still be affordable, but definitely a luxury for us (being it a new home, and higher price tag).  I think we'll be happy with either. 

It's like getting a mint Chanel handbag on consignment  for a lot less than retail, lol.  The feeling is awesome! 

;) Had to throw in some female humor in a male dominated thread.

Did you already buy in OH?

raisingboys said:

Did you buy in OH?

I will definitely look into other options besides thermafoil...and just saran-wrap my cabinets for the next couple of years.  ;D

We just gave our deposit, but haven't signed the purchase agreement.  But I'm trying to find a "steal" at Northpark, Saratoga plan with a porte cochere in a good location.  If something comes up with our criteria, we might just buy in NP.  Northpark meets our family's needs and feels more practical.  OH would still be affordable, but definitely a luxury for us (being it a new home, and higher price tag).  I think we'll be happy with either. 

It's like getting a mint Chanel handbag on consignment  for a lot less than retail, lol.  The feeling is awesome! 

;) Had to throw in some female humor in a male dominated thread.

Did you already buy in OH?
[/quote]

I think it's a good choice.
But if you plan to stay there for a while, just get what works for your fam and dont worry too much abt. resale.
It's hard to recoup upgrades costs.

That being said, cabinet upgrades are incremental and there are relatively reasonable options.

Don't tell OSguy, but I'm a closet NP lover too.  (OH was a better choice for me though as discussed ad nauseam in another thread.)
Your OH home wont be done until what, Feb? 
Resale prices may come down by then, so you can also switch horses at that point-- although you'll lose your deposit.
Keep watching the market though-- you may find a NP deal you cant pass up.

Back