Sticker SHOCK after 1st Design Center Visit

i caught the first episode of Rush, also on USA, last week. it was pretty good. episode two on tomorrow. id recommend it.

WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
The other problem with an above fireplace only mount is no flexibility. I can wall mount our TV but I prefer it on a console because:

1. It has drawers and shelves for my cable box, PS3, BRs and remotes.
2. I didn't have to mount my soundbar.
3. It hides the cables/cords.
4. The console looks nice. :)
5. It can hold up to an 80" TV without having to remount.

Where do you put all that stuff? On your fireplace mantle (and some don't even have a mantle)?

Even with the wall mounted TV in our master, I had to buy a small shelf unit to put all the accoutrements (French spelling? :) ) on.

We wall mount. And have an entertainment unit below. Looks good. 
'zacklee.

If you had a fireplace there, you wouldn't be able to put the unit below it (or I guess you could put the unit *in* the fireplace? :) ).

irvinehomeowner said:
WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
The other problem with an above fireplace only mount is no flexibility. I can wall mount our TV but I prefer it on a console because:

1. It has drawers and shelves for my cable box, PS3, BRs and remotes.
2. I didn't have to mount my soundbar.
3. It hides the cables/cords.
4. The console looks nice. :)
5. It can hold up to an 80" TV without having to remount.

Where do you put all that stuff? On your fireplace mantle (and some don't even have a mantle)?

Even with the wall mounted TV in our master, I had to buy a small shelf unit to put all the accoutrements (French spelling? :) ) on.

We wall mount. And have an entertainment unit below. Looks good. 
'zacklee.

If you had a fireplace there, you wouldn't be able to put the unit below it (or I guess you could put the unit *in* the fireplace? :) ).
It's actually pretty easy to route the wires from above the fireplace to a cabinet or built in next the fireplace.  But besides the heat aspect (which I discount because nobody really uses their fireplace) and the ergonomics (which is a big deal), the other issue for me is center channel speaker placement.  If you have in ceiling or a thin sound bar, it might not be much of issue, but I prefer real speakers up front with a real sub.  The sub can be placed anywhere (within reason based on peaks and valleys of room acoustics) but the center channel has to be either directly above or below the screen, preferably below.  I find it super distracting to have dialogue coming at me from the ceiling and even the best directional in ceiling will never be better than a real center channel right below the screen.  Of course, I'm in the minority with my OCD audiophile/videophile viewpoint.

test said:
qwerty said:
here is our tv, 70 inch vizio.

Do you have the infamous white spot issue?

no issues yet.  i did by the extended warranty at costco for about $100, so im covered for 5 years (about 3.5 years to under warranty coverage).

i dont use the tv speakers, i use a yamaha sound bar and turned off the tv speakers.  but i did want to see what the sound was like and just used the tv speakers and it was fine. the soundbar is better though.

qwerty said:
i dont use the tv speakers, i use a yamaha sound bar and turned off the tv speakers.  but i did want to see what the sound was like and just used the tv speakers and it was fine. the soundbar is better though.

Which soundbar did you get from Yamaha?  I'm probably ditching the 5.1 route and going soundbar.  Did you get the one with a sub?

The built in speakers of TVs are universally crappy.  Half of the home theater experience is sound.  It saddens me when people only care about the visual part of home theater, they're missing out on the total experience.

Yeah... the soundbar/sub set up is surprisingly good.

I first went with the Vizio with wireless sub but ended up with a Sammy with a wired sub.

jmoney74 said:
qwerty said:

Which soundbar did you get from Yamaha?  I'm probably ditching the 5.1 route and going soundbar.  Did you get the one with a sub?

i got this one at costco for about 180, no sub.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/digital-sound-projector/yas-101/?mode=model

qwerty said:
jmoney74 said:
qwerty said:

i got this one at costco for about 180, no sub.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/digital-sound-projector/yas-101/?mode=model

Oh i have this one.. now it's in my master bedroom.

Back