Sheldon at Greenwood

zlo said:
So i'm still looking for the 'perfect' house and haven't been able to find one yet. On qwerty's suggestion on my other post  ;D, I started looking at Sheldon and really like the area. However have some questions and was wondering if anyone had answers yet or do we need to wait until end of May to find out when they start showing the models?

1) What will be the elementary school assigned from the get-go? my daughter will be entering K this year so want to make sure she attends a good elementary school. How easy are the transfers to other schools in TUSD? and do you have to apply every school year for the transfer or will that be her school for all of elementary levels once she attends K there?

2) Models are showing end of May, does anyone know when Phase 1 will be ready by? Our current lease ends end of July so was hoping Phase 1 will be completed by then.

3) What is the buying process for new construction? Will there be bidding wars if they get a lot of interest or is it a first come first serve situation?

Thanks!
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,2690.msg40106.html

zlo said:
So i'm still looking for the 'perfect' house and haven't been able to find one yet. On qwerty's suggestion on my other post  ;D, I started looking at Sheldon and really like the area. However have some questions and was wondering if anyone had answers yet or do we need to wait until end of May to find out when they start showing the models?

1) What will be the elementary school assigned from the get-go? my daughter will be entering K this year so want to make sure she attends a good elementary school. How easy are the transfers to other schools in TUSD? and do you have to apply every school year for the transfer or will that be her school for all of elementary levels once she attends K there?

2) Models are showing end of May, does anyone know when Phase 1 will be ready by? Our current lease ends end of July so was hoping Phase 1 will be completed by then.

3) What is the buying process for new construction? Will there be bidding wars if they get a lot of interest or is it a first come first serve situation?

Thanks!

1) Veeh
2) It takes 6 months to build a house from the time you order it unless you buy a prebuilt unit.
3) First come first serve.

zlo said:

Thanks!

1)  Personally I would hesistate buying in Greenwood if you have a kid entering Kinder.  Heritage will open but who knows what grades will be available.  If it's anything like Orchard Hills School, it's gonna be K-8 on paper but limited to what the district needs and NOT what you need.  Check out this thread for more info:
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,12886.0.html

And besides why pay all the Mello Roos for a school that you can't even use?  TI member gasman lives in the area and he has his frustrations with TUSD.  Two other members voiced their experiences with TUSD (Compressed village and Ready2downsize) and it seems like history will repeat itself.  If you go private then that's even worse for me:  you'll just be TUSD's cash cow, milking you for all its worth to fund their schools.  I would only consider Greenwood if you can get something in writing that the grades you need are available.

2)  Don't know, most builders do not have 1st phase move in ready to minimize standing inventory cost.  I would say 4-6 months from opening.

3)  Go to the sales trailer with your realtor to sign in to get the kickback.  You probably have to pre-qualify with StanPac's lender online prior though.  But make sure you make the first physical visit with an agent.  There is no bidding war.  But expect incremental increases with each phase release. 

Do your research on the school.  If you got school age kids, you got to factor in morning drop off, afternoon pick up, etc.  If the school is far or you get shitty Veeh, you're quality of life will go down. 

zlo said:

Thanks!

1) once you transfer into another school, you don't need to reapply each year unless you are transitioning from elem to middle or middle to high school.  However, not sure if you can get kicked out if capacity ever becomes an issue at the transfer school. Also siblings usually get dibs at the same transfer school but again, who knows if capacity becomes an issue. IMO, counting on intradistrict transfer can be iffy.

zlo said:

Thanks!

1) - your home school for 2015-2016 will be Veeh, however, because the new home School wont open until 2016-2017 (Heritage Elementary, a magnet school with a STEM emphasis), you will pretty much be guaranteed a transfer spot into one of the tustin ranch/irvine TUSD elementaries. Columbus Square has first priority and im sure Greenwood will as well. But dont take my word for it, call the school district. there are plenty of kids in the neighborhood who attend TUSD elementaries in in Tustin Ranch/Irvine. Heritage is pretty much guaranteed to open, that is one of the conditions for the city of tustin to approve the second mello roos for Greenwood. If they dont happen to have the kindergarden open like PS9 said, im guessing the transfer option will remain since they dont offer the grade at your home school. Every school district has its issues, on this board IUSD can do no wrong and TUSD is garbage.

2) like others have said, 4-6 months is likely.

3) no bidding wars, first come first serve. i think Sheldon will have the heaviest demand due to its price point, so if you get in on the early phases you will probably have some equity by the time you move in.There is plenty of demand right now for new construction, this area is pretty central so in terms of work/shopping/dining its hard to beat.

qwerty said:
1) - your home school for 2015-2016 will be Veeh, however, because the new home School wont open until 2016-2017 (Heritage Elementary, a magnet school with a STEM emphasis), you will pretty much be guaranteed a transfer spot into one of the tustin ranch/irvine TUSD elementaries. Columbus Square has first priority and im sure Greenwood will as well. But dont take my word for it, call the school district. there are plenty of kids in the neighborhood who attend TUSD elementaries in in Tustin Ranch/Irvine. Heritage is pretty much guaranteed to open, that is one of the conditions for the city of tustin to approve the second mello roos for Greenwood. If they dont happen to have the kindergarden open like PS9 said, im guessing the transfer option will remain since they dont offer the grade at your home school. Every school district has its issues, on this board IUSD can do no wrong and TUSD is garbage.

I don't doubt that CS has first priority and Greenwood will probably too.  But isn't everyone in Greenwood going to want to do this?  What is the current capacity at these coveted TR schools?  At some point, they can't take more transfers right?  Plus, once the new school opens with the grade level you are in, will they force you to move back to the new school?  Just a lot of question marks in my opinion....

bones said:
qwerty said:

I don't doubt that CS has first priority and Greenwood will probably too.  But isn't everyone in Greenwood going to want to do this?  What is the current capacity at these coveted TR schools?  At some point, they can't take more transfers right?  Plus, once the new school opens with the grade level you are in, will they force you to move back to the new school?  Just a lot of question marks in my opinion....

True - not sure what the space openings per tustin ranch school. Worst case is that you send your kid to a magnet school school with a STEM emphasis that was built 4 years ago and your classmates are bunch of kids whose parents are smart enough to buy a $1M home.  I know Gasman will say watch out for the Santa Ana kids, but even so, I cant imagine Heritage not mirroring the numbers of Beckman. So like you said, once Heritage starts filling up with local kids as they continue to build homes they will not allow the santa ana tranfers either (or they will be less and less) and then you have an elementary serving the new homes with high income earners and smart parents who value education.  At least that is how i think it will go. Hopefully the school becomes a high performing school which will then hopefully close the valuation between tustin legacy and tustin ranch/irvine. that was what i always envisioned happening when i bought here. ill keep my fingers crossed :)

so there is a chance that my daughter could be stuck with Veeh if the school we request for transfer to is full? hmmm not sure I want to take that chance/risk...

why is it so hard to find a place with 4bd, good schools, with a 20min commute and within 700k!  I guess 700k really doesn't get you anything around here :( :'(

zlo said:
why is it so hard to find a place with 4bd, good schools, with a 20min commute and within 700k!  I guess 700k really doesn't get you anything around here :( :'(
Depends which way is your 20 min commute.

If it's South County, I think this criteria can fit.

FARMMMMMIE said:
qwerty said:
FARMMMMMIE said:
did they approve the second mello?

TUSD was supposed to form the MR/CFD on 4/20 and the city is supposed to approve it on 5/19.

So in sense that would drive the ptax rate from 1.4% to 1.6% for Sheldon?

land of no land posted what the tax rate would be after the second MR, not sure if was this thread, i think it may have been, but 1.6% rings a bell and sound right.

Given the location of Sheldon properties back onto Jamboree Road and the off-ramp to Warner Road does anyone have an comments about how much of an issue noise is likely to be in all of these properties? Are any of the properties likely to have less of a noise issue? Any suggestions on steps that could be taken before/after construction to reduce noise levels? I am assuming double-glazed windows would be standard, or is that naive?

Attachments

• Tustin Traffic 2014.png
    Tustin Traffic 2014.png
    523.9 KB · Views: 236
Swordfish said:
Any suggestions on steps that could be taken before/after construction to reduce noise levels? I am assuming double-glazed windows would be standard, or is that naive?

Double glazed window are pretty much the standard in new home construction nowadays.  These windows did a superb job in energy insulation and noise reduction.

However there are even better ones for sound reduction with slightly thicker glass and extra sound reduction property but builders never offer them as an option.  Milgard window which is a very common brand that is used in new home and replacement windows offer an extra sound proofing series call the Quite Line and it reduces outside noise level by 30% over the regular double glazed windows.http://www.milgard.com/windows/quiet-line-series

I had Milgard replacement windows in my previous home and I had this Quite Line series installed in my bedroom. The sound reduction for the regular Milgard window is already very good but this Quite Line is even better. 

I think something like the Quite Line series is a good upgrade option for builders to offer but I haven't seen any builder offer something like this yet. 

It's not just noise, a WM dump truck or double trailer semi topped with gravel going down Warner:  You might not hear it with your super duper quadruple panes windows, but you will FEEL it.

Oh and one more thing:  when the wind blows just right, you'll catch a whiff of the WM collection site in Construction Cir (where the food trucks are stored, nasty).  Nothing like being next to the armpit of Irvine:  cement dust, luxury Irvine Inn with its quality tenants, garbage trucks, jamboree road dust, and so much more.  And to think you are the buffer to protect these negatives from the low income Anton housing!  Nice.

ps9 said:
Oh and one more thing:  when the wind blows just right, you'll catch a whiff of the WM collection site in Construction Cir (where the food trucks are stored, nasty).  Nothing like being next to the armpit of Irvine:  cement dust, luxury Irvine Inn with its quality tenants, garbage trucks, jamboree road dust, and so much more.  And to think you are the buffer to protect these negatives from the low income Anton housing!  Nice.

Those garbage trucks do exit warner huh?? tsk tsk.... sucks!

I'm trying to figure out if Sheldon would be a good place to live and here is what I know so far thanks to TI Community:

Pros:
    • All that noise and smoke coming from Jamboree
    • Chance of getting killed by a drunk driver in your living room
    • All the smell from Garbage Trucks and Food Trucks, when the wind blows just right
  • TUSD and Crappy Schools
  • High MR
  • Price.  I received an email from the builder saying Sheldon now starts from upper 600s

By looking at the list above, the question now becomes why would anybody buy at Sheldon?  Am I missing something?

FB1907 said:
I'm trying to figure out if Sheldon would be a good place to live and here is what I know so far thanks to TI Community:

Pros:
    • All that noise and smoke coming from Jamboree
    • Chance of getting killed by a drunk driver in your living room
    • All the smell from Garbage Trucks and Food Trucks, when the wind blows just right
  • TUSD and Crappy Schools
  • High MR
  • Price.  I received an email from the builder saying Sheldon now starts from upper 600s

By looking at the list above, the question now becomes why would anybody buy at Sheldon?  Am I missing something?

Well if you put it that way.... Lol

Tusd is a pretty good district.

Back