New Korean BBQ place

irvinehomeowner said:
So what is everyone's favorite KBBQ?

For a long time, KBBQ to me was only bugolgi and galbi/kalbi. Then a friend of mine had me try the brisket and it was over.

Someone after that told me to try the pork belly and it was over... again.

Sorry ps9... no squid or octopus for me.

Brisket and Beef Belly mixed together, very good combo.  The beef tongue is also very delicious.

aquabliss said:
Costco sells marinated bulgogi, going to eat it tomorrow from our home skillet plate (we use to Korean BBQ at out dinner table).

Will keep you posted.

I thought it was a little salty, but the quality of meat is good (compared to marinated bulgogi and zion), I'd buy it again (convenient since costco is a regular routine over zion)

AW said:
aquabliss said:
Costco sells marinated bulgogi, going to eat it tomorrow from our home skillet plate (we use to Korean BBQ at out dinner table).

Will keep you posted.

I thought it was a little salty, but the quality of meat is good (compared to marinated bulgogi and zion), I'd buy it again (convenient since costco is a regular routine over zion)

What is the grade of meat Costco uses?  Zion uses Choice.

AW said:
aquabliss said:

Will keep you posted.

How did you cook it?  Grill outside?

irvinehomeowner said:
So what is everyone's favorite KBBQ?

For a long time, KBBQ to me was only bugolgi and galbi/kalbi. Then a friend of mine had me try the brisket and it was over.

Someone after that told me to try the pork belly and it was over... again.

Sorry ps9... no squid or octopus for me.
For just normal brisket and pork belly, my favorite is SDR (Shik Do Rak).  They have the perfect sides to compliment those.

When you start getting into the other items, then the other restaurants can get more appealing.

ps9 said:
I do it outside...

At SDR, you need to distinguish between the 2 grades of brisket they have.  I always upgrade to the prime variant over the CAB variant.

woodburyowner said:
AW said:
aquabliss said:

Will keep you posted.

What is the grade of meat Costco uses?  Zion uses Choice.
It's choice as well. I don't think Costco sells select? And it's borderline blasphemous if they marinated prime beef

ps9 said:
AW said:
aquabliss said:

Will keep you posted.

Unfortunately my outside consists of dirt + weed + wildflower. 

Inside grilling on a flat griddle on stovetop.
My preferred method usually involves charcoal and sometimes wood for the smokiness

ps9 said:
aquabliss said:
ps9 said:
wait.. you're gonna kbbq at home indoors? 

Ya we use something like this:https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Gourmet-EMG-980B-Maxi-Matic-Electric/dp/B00EXNFTJW/

Works pretty well and saves $.

Doesn't it get stinky inside?  Or do you not mind? Also, the heavy marinade....gets messy on those grills no?  Have to deglaze it afterwards

I haven't used the thing in many months so can't actually remember how smoky it gets but I don't think it's any worse than when my wife cooks meat on the cast iron skillet on the stovetop.  Get's a little messy on the grill but just don't let it sit too long and it's not bad to clean.

AW said:
Unfortunately my outside consists of dirt + weed + wildflower. 

Inside grilling on a flat griddle on stovetop.
My preferred method usually involves charcoal and sometimes wood for the smokiness

AW, please note that burning charcoal inside your home can kill you. It gives off carbon monoxide (CO) gas. It should never be burned indoors, even with ventilation.
https://www.cpsc.gov/content/cpsc-warns-never-use-charcoal-grills-indoors

Even modern table grills pose a major risk of CO poisoning. Kids will become affected first.
http://www.bfr.bund.de/en/press_inf...g_with_charcoal_is_very_dangerous_-30288.html

Sorry to butt into this conversation but #SorryNotSorry. It needed to be said. For anyone else reading this thread, please heed the warning. I'd really hate to see some article in the O.C. Register that a nice Irvine family needlessly died of carbon monoxide poisoning when something could have been done to prevent it. 

Yeah, I know about that.
Should've clarified my preferred method is outside cooking :)

KangHoDong will have charcoal, but like only 3-4 pieces and when they crank the heat, they have the vent almost touching the grill.  Probably that's why they cook for you.

USCTrojanCPA said:
undecided said:
Opening June 26th!!!

Sweet, I'll probably give it a few weeks and then I'll take over an Uber or Lyft because the parking will be HORRIBLE.

Just drove by this evening. There was no parking and they didn't even open yet. I predict carmageddon.

If management refuses to build a parking garage, let's hope they offer free valet parking.

Back