Great Park Homeless Shelter

Loco_local said:
If an airport had been built on a former naval air station we would not be having this discussion.

There would be other discussions

I think every big community has a water basin. There's a big one smack in the middle of Woodbury.

Also the garbage truck route is mainly along Sand Canyon.

Patty O Furniture said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
:(omg...i was planning to buy in Cypress Village East and this news is bumber. This crazy...i sometimes feel Eastwood is pricey for a reason - no such risks atleast.

Doesn't Eastwood have a Mobile Home Park as their neighbor?  (Oh...and a mosquito detention basin...and a trash-truck runway to the dump?) 

I don't think any neighborhood is perfect.

ParasolParker said:
I've seen drama and discussions even between GPN Neighbors due to this topic.  So it seems pretty sensitive to some. I got my views and I'm trying to get them heard by those that can influence this decision. 

Another point of contact is emailing Mayor Wagner at donaldwagner@cityofirvine.org.

Thank you !! I have done my bit of opposition to this shelter by emailing both the Supervisor and Mayor.

MFWIC said:
Looks like I found a new place to live for free.  Do they serve free dinners as well?

People care about lost dogs more than helping a person out. That's really unfortunate.

irvinehomeowner said:
So is this like the cemetery thread but instead of dead people or ghosts, it's homeless people that are bad for Feng Shui?

"Feng shui" really just means "property value" in chinese. So, yeah.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
ParasolParker said:
I've seen drama and discussions even between GPN Neighbors due to this topic.  So it seems pretty sensitive to some. I got my views and I'm trying to get them heard by those that can influence this decision. 

Another point of contact is emailing Mayor Wagner at donaldwagner@cityofirvine.org.

Thank you !! I have done my bit of opposition to this shelter by emailing both the Supervisor and Mayor.

I wonder if the residents of Santa Ana emailed their mayor opposing a homeless shelters.  I guess one can argue that Irvine is wealthier than Santa Ana and so should not suffer like the less affluent plebs.

f3a3b463541c198a5448286290789860a1369e7aa5e772868b12fe25b96acae1.jpg

zubs said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
ParasolParker said:

I wonder if the residents of Santa Ana emailed their mayor opposing a homeless shelters.  I guess one can argue that Irvine is wealthier than Santa Ana and so should not suffer like the less affluent plebs.

f3a3b463541c198a5448286290789860a1369e7aa5e772868b12fe25b96acae1.jpg
I am guessing that they had a homeless problem before shelters were built. 

It should work this way:  Got a homeless problem, build a shelter. 
It shouldn't work this way: Build a shelter, and the homeless will come.

On a side note...  I've wondered what percent of the Santa Ana homeless are illegal immigrants.  Most of the ones that I've seen aren't.

I've got a great idea!  Lets have a city with really high walls and gates, and have the police run all the poor and brown people out of town.

Then we won't have to build any affordable housing, nor any homeless shelters.

Well if we're going to run the undesirables out of Irvine, let's start with the gypsy woman standing out side of Mitsuwa with a kid.  Have IPD pick her up and transport her to Santa Ana.  Surely she won't turn into Rambo.

27041276.jpg

freedomcm said:
I've got a great idea!  Lets have a city with really high walls and gates, and have the police run all the poor and brown people out of town.

Then we won't have to build any affordable housing, nor any homeless shelters.

confused here.  Are you also stating that the brown people are not poor?  Did you not mention blacks because you consider them poor already?  Qwerty wants to know.

Running people out? (What are you going to follow someone that's wearing a hood? There is no stand your ground law in California.)

SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So is this like the cemetery thread but instead of dead people or ghosts, it's homeless people that are bad for Feng Shui?

"Feng shui" really just means "property value" in chinese. So, yeah.

Not really. The cemetery matters though.

2016 Article on subject of value impacts:

http://www.realtor.com/news/trends/things-that-affect-your-property-value/

Looks like Cemetery and Homeless Shelter are a possible "one-two" punch to values, unless you get a teachers strike and IUSD hires a bunch of scabs who aint gonna educate gooder. At that point, you're really screwed.

PS - This argument isn't a "for or against helping the down and outers". The argument boils down to this basic question: Why locate a shelter in a densely populated planned community when there are literally hundreds of empty and useable acres the County has elsewhere to properly build and service a shelter? 

My .02c

Back