Great Park Homeless Shelter

aquabliss said:
Loco_local said:
The shelter itself no,  but the trash and human waste created by the occupants of the shelter in the surrounding area will be.

Isn't there a recue mission by the District in the old Marine housing?  It hasn't seem to hurt the home values.

It's a food bank, they just store the food there:https://www.feedoc.org/

Website says this
The Village of Hope is an 18-24 month transitional housing program to shelter, feed, and invest in the personal and professional development of 192 homeless persons and families. Single men, women, and single mothers are assigned to dorm-style housing with roommates; single fathers and two-parent families are assigned to family suites. Housing is appropriately-separated and monitored.

Loco_local said:
aquabliss said:
Loco_local said:
The shelter itself no,  but the trash and human waste created by the occupants of the shelter in the surrounding area will be.

Isn't there a recue mission by the District in the old Marine housing?  It hasn't seem to hurt the home values.

It's a food bank, they just store the food there:https://www.feedoc.org/

Website says this
The Village of Hope is an 18-24 month transitional housing program to shelter, feed, and invest in the personal and professional development of 192 homeless persons and families. Single men, women, and single mothers are assigned to dorm-style housing with roommates; single fathers and two-parent families are assigned to family suites. Housing is appropriately-separated and monitored.

When I called, they just said that is propaganda they included on the website but they only have a small storage closet that can house a family of 2 for 13 hours maximum.

j/k, I had no idea.

Prototype said:
Whoa! This is nonsense. OC just wants to screw with Irvine on their property within the city.  "Let's build a huge shopping mall and hotels to compete with the Spectrum. You know what, let's build a homeless shelter."

Irvine doesn't have a homelessness issue anywhere remotely close to Santa Ana and HB.  It doesn't make logistical sense to build a shelter on the Irvine property. What would they do, bus homeless people into the city for the shelter?

I'd like to think Irvine would be the last choice between the three.

Apparently they would bus them to the homeless shelter (from the OC Register article):

"Nelson said the county would provide transportation to relocate homeless people".

I'm sure Arte Moreno put pressure on the county to remove them from the area by the stadium. Plenty of people walk right by there when they park offsite and go to the games, many of them season holders (season parking passes are extra and are charged for every game of the season). They were hassling some people and the games end past 10 so you have to walk by there at night. Season started a month ago. Hmmm...

Isn't this the same land Irvine didn't want the county to develop?

We just got back from San Francisco where they have tons of homeless. I think they have the highest per capita homeless population in the country. Well they pay them for one thing and don't track where the money goes. Also they have a very good bus system (and old people/disabled get free rides). A lot of weirdos on those buses and I'll bet a good many are considered disabled. So I got to thinking.... Irvine has a crappy bus system. It would be much harder for homeless people to get around if they decided to just pick up and pander in another location thruout the day and then I thought....... maybe an advantage to having a crappy bus service in Irvine area.

I will very curious and tuned in to how this homeless shelter proposed development progresses on marine way. It might be sufficient reason for us to reconsider our purchase plan at Trellis court.

#flamesuit on!

So yeah I agree with everyone else, this is a bad bad bad idea I think.  To be clear, I know the homeless have their struggles and I emphasize with them but the idea of building this structure in Irvine doesn't seem well thought out, especially at Great Park.  I don't like to stereotype but some of the homeless on the Santa Ana river bed have shown disruptive behavior.  Do we want to mix that with little kids walking around Great Park?

Now, if this gets perfectly done and a few select homeless (non disruptive/non drug abuser) get the care they want and they transported in and out through a safe bus channel and we never see/hear them, who am I to say no?  But, I get visions of "the walking dead" and news spreading of the great city of Irvine having this great area with great parks, clean water, great food drawing crowds of people lining up to be accepted.  Think of the downtown LA situation at night in Irvine  :eek:

I've lived near homeless shelters before.  Not all homeless shelters are the same.  Places for battered women are much better than places for the general homeless.  It sounds like these shelters will be for the shelters you really don't want in your neighborhood.

The shelter will keep these people within a certain radius.  You will have random people walking up to your kids and using every swear word in the book.  There's a lot of people with mental issues that are very messed up in the head.

You will have lots of suspicious people laying around in the kids play ground area.  You will find people sleeping in all sorts of places.  You will have lots more trash.  You will be approached by more beggars.  There will be more beggars with signs.  There will be more people walking around with shopping carts. 

You wont feel as safe as you used to feel.  That billion dollar park will be much less appealing than a cheaper million dollar park.  (in some ways, it already is)

Yeah, this is not good idea at all. People are paying hard earned money to buy these new homes in irvine. We empathize with the homeless people but not will take a risk if this shelter does get built.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
:(omg...i was planning to buy in Cypress Village East and this news is bumber. This crazy...i sometimes feel Eastwood is pricey for a reason - no such risks atleast.

Doesn't Eastwood have a Mobile Home Park as their neighbor?  (Oh...and a mosquito detention basin...and a trash-truck runway to the dump?) 

I don't think any neighborhood is perfect.

The mobile home park across Eastwood is not that bad at all. I think that mobile hone park is well maintained. A homeless shelter is totally different for my perspective than a mobile home  park.

The 2 mobile park communities in Irvine are senior communities.  Vastly different than any stereotype you have of a general mobile home community. 

If it was designed to limit access to Great Park from the County land across Marine Way and fully resourced to ensure people are safe and its transitional, then it might be ok.  It all comes down to planning and execution right?

If at GP, I've got just the place - the Broadcom buildings. They're vacant, right?

Curious if the Tustin Airbase had to take on any homeless as well? Haven't followed this issue very closely.

The Hobo problem isn't new. It started to mushroom when Santa Ana began to "renovate" the Civic Center. Their actions pushed so many people into neighboring areas, eventually congregating en mass at the Santa Ana river.

To say that the County doesn't have room is really a stretch. Didn't Mr. Bren donate many acres to the County along the 241 and way back into the hills? There is room. There just isn't the vision or the will to get it done.

5Pts and the County should "Habitat For Humanity" this by building homes - not tent cities - on some of the vast areas the County has.... unless that will endanger the Coastal Gnatcatcher, then all bets are off.

My .02c

SGIP

May be Mr. Bren donated good $ with a condition to build shelter next to GP.

:p

GP down = Irvine Company homes sell better.

jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
WTTCHMN said:
Irvine officials show mixed feelings on homeless shelter proposal near Great Park
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/05/1...on-homeless-shelter-proposal-near-great-park/

They should be use to it. The cemetery was proposed by an California assemblymember from Fullerton.

The county is always trying to give it to Irvine.  Not surprised.

When you have a rich uncle, everyone line up and proclaim they are the long lost nephew.😀

So let's say if Irvine does move forward with this proposed shelter near Marine way, what should a buyer planning to purchase at Cypress Village East do? This was not mentioned in any of the disclosures.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
So let's say if Irvine does move forward with this proposed shelter near Marine way, what should a buyer planning to purchase at Cypress Village East do? This was not mentioned in any of the disclosures.

Offer luxury shower for $5 each

Back