Great Park Homeless Shelter

zubs said:
What I mean is if a city councilman ran on opening homeless shelters, he would never get voted into office.  The residents of a city don't want that crap near them.  So how did Santa Ana and LA get them in the first place?

They're created by need, based on an already existing issue.  As you know, Santa Ana has been suffering from extreme homelessness who have set up near the civic center.  LA has had the issue for decades, where many homeless have set up in Skid Row or Venice Beach.

Politicians aren't going to run their campaign based on opening shelters but there comes a point where the issue needs to be contained.  Seems like the OC Supervisor is trying to force cities within the county to help come up with a solution.

Homelessness isn't an issue in Irvine and many of us pay a premium to live here for it's safety and cleanliness.  I would think that 5 Point and TIC will push hard against this because it would negatively affect the homes being built near the park.

"Follow the money..."

This is being pushed by either someone who was oxygen deprived at birth, or someone who sees a higher personal benefit of $$$ from the County compared to quality of life for everyone else who lives in Irvine. 

Should a wealthy County help down and outers? No reason not to. Must it be in the GP.... when the County has many hundreds of acres elsewhere? Why not at Irvine Regional Park? Why not near Carbon Canyon Regional Park? Both sites have room to spare and low population density.

One has to wonder why GP is even in the running for this.

Prototype said:
zubs said:
What I mean is if a city councilman ran on opening homeless shelters, he would never get voted into office.  The residents of a city don't want that crap near them.  So how did Santa Ana and LA get them in the first place?

They're created by need, based on an already existing issue.  As you know, Santa Ana has been suffering from extreme homelessness who have set up near the civic center.  LA has had the issue for decades, where many homeless have set up in Skid Row or Venice Beach.

Politicians aren't going to run their campaign based on opening shelters but there comes a point where the issue needs to be contained.  Seems like the OC Supervisor is trying to force cities within the county to help come up with a solution.

Homelessness isn't an issue in Irvine and many of us pay a premium to live here for it's safety and cleanliness.  I would think that 5 Point and TIC will push hard against this because it would negatively affect the homes being built near the park.

Just think from a PR perspective. We don't want them here. The potential back lash. (sitting back eating chips and salsa)

All I got to say seeker. You should of listened to YF when he told you not to buy there.  ;)

Who is "them"?

You can go to the bathrooms at the Irvine train station and watch "normal" people washing up on their way to work.

http://www.ocweekly.com/news/in-fou...ver-trail-create-a-nice-place-to-live-8098888

If I could I would hire this woman do design my yard

news.jpg

Loco_local said:
Who is "them"?

You can go to the bathrooms at the Irvine train station and watch "normal" people washing up on their way to work.

On this issue I'm on your side. You should be thankful.

eyephone said:
Loco_local said:
Who is "them"?

On this issue I'm on your side. You should be thankful.

I am in a bad mood today. No room to be

so people want coupon and don't want to pay minimum wage and don't want low income housing and don't want homeless shelter

Too bad everyone can't inherit million dollar from father like Donald

zubs said:

Once you have a lot of homeless, building a shelter may become more desirable.  It makes sense to build them in the city of LA where you might trip over a homeless person sleeping outside your front door.

You don't want to bus the homeless from another city to your's though.  That's a poor selling point for building a shelter.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
In the OCR article..

"Irvine Councilwoman Melissa Fox said while Irvine may not be seeing the same homeless problem as other cities, it has a large number of people without stable housing, including many UC Irvine students. She said putting a homeless shelter is better use of the land than the county?s development plans."

What is Melissa Fox trying to say? UCI students can use the homeless shelter???? :)

I bet she does not live in Irvine, at least anywhere close to the shelter location.

I got in touch with the GPN community association to see if they had any more news on this topic and was told that they had not heard yet so I sent them the article.  They responded with the same information that is on the article, saying that they had been told the temporary homeless shelter was a suggestion that had been proposed by OC Supervisor Shawn Nelson (who does not represent Irvine). Also that this topic would come before the full Board of Supervisors at their May 23 meeting. The supervisor who represents the Great Park Neighborhoods area, Todd Spitzer, is opposed to locating a temporary homeless facility on the County?s 100-acres located near the OC Great Park. Lastly they gave me his contact info in case I wanted to voice my concerns or opinion.  Supervisor Spitzer?s office 714-834-3330 or todd.spitzer@ocgov.com.

Passing it along in case anyone wants to contact and share their views.

I don't want to be insensitive so please no pitchworks, but  I do worry about safety and the other issues raised by other folks here.  I have children who enjoy riding their bikes around the neighborhood and i do wonder if that would all change over time.

ParasolParker said:
I got in touch with the GPN community association to see if they had any more news on this topic and was told that they had not heard yet so I sent them the article.  They responded with the same information that is on the article, saying that they had been told the temporary homeless shelter was a suggestion that had been proposed by OC Supervisor Shawn Nelson (who does not represent Irvine). Also that this topic would come before the full Board of Supervisors at their May 23 meeting. The supervisor who represents the Great Park Neighborhoods area, Todd Spitzer, is opposed to locating a temporary homeless facility on the County?s 100-acres located near the OC Great Park. Lastly they gave me his contact info in case I wanted to voice my concerns or opinion.  Supervisor Spitzer?s office 714-834-3330 or todd.spitzer@ocgov.com.

Passing it along in case anyone wants to contact and share their views.

I don't want to be insensitive so please no pitchworks, but  I do worry about safety and the other issues raised by other folks here.  I have children who enjoy riding their bikes around the neighborhood and i do wonder if that would all change over time.

That's not being insensitive, that's just using common sense.  Where's the logic in building a homeless shelter in a city with an extremely low (virtually non-existent) homeless population?  Having extra land is not enough reason to do it....that just negatively impacts those people who committed to spend their hard-earned money to put their kids in a safe environment. 

I've seen drama and discussions even between GPN Neighbors due to this topic.  So it seems pretty sensitive to some. I got my views and I'm trying to get them heard by those that can influence this decision. 

Another point of contact is emailing Mayor Wagner at donaldwagner@cityofirvine.org.

There are a few threads on Nextdoor, I moved recently and updates my address so I don't see the same feed any more but the majority of folks are opossed while others have very strong views that Irvine should help with the homeless problem.

There was some thread with tons of drama because of the opposing views.  Instead of fighting online people should call or express their views to the city council.

ParasolParker said:
There are a few threads on Nextdoor, I moved recently and updates my address so I don't see the same feed any more but the majority of folks are opossed while others have very strong views that Irvine should help with the homeless problem.

There was some thread with tons of drama because of the opposing views.  Instead of fighting online people should call or express their views to the city council.

Nextdoor more drama than TalkIrvine? (Fighting online?)

Homeless shelters nowadays mean gang, drugs, prostituion and all sorts of crazies unfortunately. Help the gazilion  existing shelters dispersed around the county. But no drug dealing in our kids' school ground! This is ridiculous and almost poking at a town occupied by a high percentage of minorities. Might be why Irvine city itslef is lukewarm about it. All the stakeholders probably live outside Irvine. Irvine is just a money-making machine to them, nothing more or less. This is outrageous!!! :mad:

Back