Great Park Homeless Shelter

jmoney74 said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
So let's say if Irvine does move forward with this proposed shelter near Marine way, what should a buyer planning to purchase at Cypress Village East do? This was not mentioned in any of the disclosures.

Offer luxury shower for $5 each

Lol

I don't think the city or builder knew about it. So how can the builder disclose it?

Irvinehomeseeker said:
So let's say if Irvine does move forward with this proposed shelter near Marine way, what should a buyer planning to purchase at Cypress Village East do? This was not mentioned in any of the disclosures.

Let's put it this way, elected official can raise an idea. Mostly to influence future votes, however, its a long shot. Looks at Trump Exec. Order Muslim ban. Even our President faces backlash  and shot down many times.

This development is concerning for us as future buyers in CVE. I agree neither the builder or city knew about this proposal until now.  We plan to wait and watch how this progresses until the time of our closing(another 4-5 months), hopefully there is something concrete known about this shelter by then. Of course, our deposit is at risk...

Irvinehomeseeker said:
This development is concerning for us as future buyers in CVE. I agree neither the builder or city knew about this proposal until now.  We plan to wait and watch how this progresses until the time of our closing(another 4-5 months), hopefully there is something concrete known about this shelter by then. Of course, our deposit is at risk...

Can you get your deposit back? (pull out) ;)

we will most likely lose it if I pull out. But we decide that the CVE location will no longer be desirable due to the shelter, then we will have accept the loss of deposit. The news article says it's a temp shelter, but there is always the possibility they will make it permanent.

I will have look up on the map exactly where this proposed shelter will be at. May be that will help me make a better decision.

Not going to happen.

The county can't just do whatever they want to with their land without City of Irvine's approval and their are going to face tones of opposition with this.

County need to get that plot of land change it's zoning status to permit residential dwelling (not likely to change), need apply permit through the city (city will not give them permit to do it, especially TIC and 5P have huge influence at city level), go through public hearing (GP resident going to show up with torch and pitchfork to against this) and clear the environment hazard report (according to Yellow, that part of GP is too toxic for human dwelling, not going to pass).

lnc said:
Not going to happen.

The county can't just do whatever they want to with their land without City of Irvine's approval and their are going to face tones of opposition with this.

County need to get that plot of land change it's zoning status to permit residential dwelling (not likely to change), need apply permit through the city (city will not give them permit to do it, especially TIC and 5P have huge influence at city level), go through public hearing (GP resident going to show up with torch and pitchfork to against this) and clear the environment hazard report (according to Yellow, that part of GP is too toxic for human dwelling, not going to pass).

Think Angels stadium. Think LA olympics. (Big time) They need to go somewhere.

I say help them out, just please don't give them a free electric car and free charging station. ;)

I hope the proposal doesn't come to fruition in irvine.  Reading the OCR article I found that HB city is also opposed. 

But it looks like some of irvine city officials are in favor of the shelter.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
I hope the proposal doesn't come to fruition in irvine.  Reading the OCR article I found that HB city is also opposed. 

But it looks like some of irvine city officials are in favor of the shelter.

Whatever it takes to drive 5 points home down. Lol

In the OCR article..

"Irvine Councilwoman Melissa Fox said while Irvine may not be seeing the same homeless problem as other cities, it has a large number of people without stable housing, including many UC Irvine students. She said putting a homeless shelter is better use of the land than the county?s development plans."

What is Melissa Fox trying to say? UCI students can use the homeless shelter???? :)

Can you imagine young female UCI students under the same roof as mentally unstable middle aged homeless men?  Ya, this is gonna go over well.

lnc said:
Not going to happen.

They actually can according to the article. Emergency shelter is one of the things they can build there.

I am so surprised that the Irvine Council is even lukewarm to this. Christina Shea is just amazing in her ambivalence to what her constituents want. Huntington Beach has come out strongly against the homeless shelter. Irvine should do the same thing. They weren't even warned about this and the council members are already bowing down the Nelson.

Normally any city council would be against homeless shelters.  Why would any city want one of those things depressing property values and increasing crime?

How does it benefit a city? 

I want to understand why a city council would vote to put a homeless shelter in their city.  Is it forced upon them?

zubs said:
Normally any city council would be against homeless shelters.  Why would any city want one of those things depressing property values and increasing crime?

I want to understand why a city council would vote to put a homeless shelter in their city.  Is it forced upon them?

Gather the names of those officials, VOTES and GET THEM OUT along with the homeless. NOT IN MY CITY SORRY.

zubs said:

That probably just politician talk, try to avoid PC shaming. 

zubs said:

Think stadium, theme park, open land

What I mean is if a city councilman ran on opening homeless shelters, he would never get voted into office.  The residents of a city don't want that crap near them.  So how did Santa Ana and LA get them in the first place?

Back