Alta Vista and Bella Vista at Orchard Hills

nyc to oc said:
Perspective said:
Is there a typical buyer for very large $2M+ homes? I would guess most of these households don't have school age children. It takes time to build the necessary wealth, and to reach your peak earning years, where this price point is feasible, no? Even if a husband and wife each earn ~$200K, you have many other goals when your kids are younger, mainly college funds.

These seem like trophy homes you buy in your late 50s and later, to host adult kids and grandkids, have parties, etc.

I went this weekend, just as a lookie loo, no intention of moving from my current neighborhood in OH. I actually did see some families with older school age children (late elementary to middle/high school). I don't know if they were serious buyers or just lookie loos like me. I overheard one couple saying something to the sales agent about buying a house here because their kids are in college studying in the US.

I couldn't help thinking that as large/grand as the houses are, the 5 foot sideyard setbacks (unless you get one of the pie shaped lots) are just ridiculously narrow when the houses are so large. Those are estate size houses, and to have the proper effect, I think they need to be on estate size lots (Peralta Hills, Villa Park, North Tustin, Orange Park Acres, etc) Also, did anyone else notice the charred/dead trees on the top of the hills behind the alta vista development? fire hazard...

That was the biggest gripe with my TB home in Yorba Linda. Thing is, you tend to look past it, because the inside of the homes are just SO nice. It also made shopping for the "upgrade" difficult, as anything that had more land and was even a lateral move in regards to the structure gets really expensive, really quick.

To be honest, I don't think the target demographic for the Vistas really cares anyway. They are used to the typical Irvine homes so just having a 3-4 car garage, decent size backyard and a view are already huge upgrades. Those who want estate size lots will continue to look in the areas you mentioned.

For ppl the need over 5000 sqft of living space, I would think there must be kids that still live in the home.
If just 2 ppl in the house, that's a lot of sqft and a lot of rooms.
So, I would imagine the protective buyers would have more than 4 ppl occupying the new home. 

There would be cases where ppl who work from home, or ppl who just prefer big spaces who buy these homes, but they would not be the majority.  Just my 2 cents.

Perspective said:
Is there a typical buyer for very large $2M+ homes? I would guess most of these households don't have school age children. It takes time to build the necessary wealth, and to reach your peak earning years, where this price point is feasible, no? Even if a husband and wife each earn ~$200K, you have many other goals when your kids are younger, mainly college funds.

These seem like trophy homes you buy in your late 50s and later, to host adult kids and grandkids, have parties, etc.

I don't think there is a typical buyer profile. It just depends on your propensity to spend on a home.  I met someone living in the smaller homes in OH who makes over $1m annually.  I was surprised that they only lived in the smaller homes.  No nice cars either.  You'd never know.

irvineboy said:
Perspective said:

I don't think there is a typical buyer profile. It just depends on your propensity to spend on a home.  I met someone living in the smaller homes in OH who makes over $1m annually.  I was surprised that they only lived in the smaller homes.  No nice cars either.  You'd never know.

Those are truly your "Millionaires Next Door" (great book if you haven't read it) - that's how they build wealth. Live way below their means. very true - you never know.

Looks like phase 2 will be released in a few weeks with just one T-intersection available right now.  What does everyone think of Bella Vista's value over the next 2-5 years?  This would be a big investment for us ($2M!) but it ticks all the boxes for us (except for IUSD, but the TUSD schools are still great and probably more diverse, which we like).

We're interested in plan 3 (Cielo) but it's really hard to tell how it will turn out because there aren't models yet.  In my opinion...pluses: courtyard will make home feel larger (hopefully), impressive entry/stairway, and large secondary bedrooms.  Minuses: need conservatory to open up great room, tandem garage.  Any thoughts on this plan relative to the others?

vlside said:
Looks like phase 2 will be released in a few weeks with just one T-intersection available right now.  What does everyone think of Bella Vista's value over the next 2-5 years?  This would be a big investment for us ($2M!) but it ticks all the boxes for us (except for IUSD, but the TUSD schools are still great and probably more diverse, which we like).

We're interested in plan 3 (Cielo) but it's really hard to tell how it will turn out because there aren't models yet.  In my opinion...pluses: courtyard will make home feel larger (hopefully), impressive entry/stairway, and large secondary bedrooms.  Minuses: need conservatory to open up great room, tandem garage.  Any thoughts on this plan relative to the others?

I'm bullish on the Vistas, the combination of lot size, views, and newer Toll build will make it highly desirable in the coming years. Beckman High shouldn't be a demerit, and doesn't stop people from dropping $3mm+ over in Tustin Ranch Estates on antiquated StanPac floorplans (although most of those are on 20k+ lots).

Cielo is nice, if you want to get a general feel for the floorplan check out the Capistrano model at Enclave in Yorba Linda. Capistrano is like Cielo on steroids, but its kindaaa similar.

In Bella Vista, I like Lusso due to the available 4 car garage and "Gone with the Wind" style staircase. I predict Tacara will also be popular since people tend to like the dual staircases at entry, but it feels a bit "blocked off" to me unless its one of the floorplans where the the staircases don't butt up against the walls.

P.S. is your name in reference to veilside?

stephen said:
vlside said:

I'm bullish on the Vistas, the combination of lot size, views, and newer Toll build will make it highly desirable in the coming years. Beckman High shouldn't be a demerit, and doesn't stop people from dropping $3mm+ over in Tustin Ranch Estates on antiquated StanPac floorplans (although most of those are on 20k+ lots).

Cielo is nice, if you want to get a general feel for the floorplan check out the Capistrano model at Enclave in Yorba Linda. Capistrano is like Cielo on steroids, but its kindaaa similar.

In Bella Vista, I like Lusso due to the available 4 car garage and "Gone with the Wind" style staircase. I predict Tacara will also be popular since people tend to like the dual staircases at entry, but it feels a bit "blocked off" to me unless its one of the floorplans where the the staircases don't butt up against the walls.

Thanks for the tip on Capistrano.  I'll have to make a trip there.  I do like Lusso as well and would love a 4-car garage.  The main downside is the smaller secondary bedrooms.  I know there are trade off for each plan, but is there a next LaVita 4 (from a popularity/demand) hiding amongst these floor plans?

And yes, reference to veilside although the reason why dates back almost 20 years :)

vlside said:
stephen said:
vlside said:

Thanks for the tip on Capistrano.  I'll have to make a trip there.  I do like Lusso as well and would love a 4-car garage.  The main downside is the smaller secondary bedrooms.  I know there are trade off for each plan, but is there a next LaVita 4 (from a popularity/demand) hiding amongst these floor plans?

And yes, reference to veilside although the reason why dates back almost 20 years :)

Used to have a veilside bodykit on my Supra and Lexus GS400 back in the day.  Ahhh, the memories.

gld2 said:
What is the price list?

The prices for Phase 1 were mostly around the listed price on the website.  Starting price for plan 1 is right under $2M but most lots were above 2.  There were some lots with a premium for larger lots or possibly view, but most of the lots in the early phases are at the lower part of the hill without a view.

USCTrojanCPA said:
vlside said:
stephen said:
vlside said:

Used to have a veilside bodykit on my Supra and Lexus GS400 back in the day.  Ahhh, the memories.

41711bf73c302e6056e4d1631a789ddb.jpg

stephen said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
vlside said:
stephen said:
vlside said:

41711bf73c302e6056e4d1631a789ddb.jpg

Yup....SMOKE'EM!  Even won a trophy at Hot Import Nights with the Supra.  Wish I never sold that car. 

vlside said:

Have you considered Hidden Canyon? 

So surprise toll has not sold out phase 1 homes in both alta vista and bella vista. 
compare to HC when it first released its phase 1 homes, they  were sold out before it was released. In fact, there was a priority list for early phases in HC...
goes to show how different  HC compares to OH..

ocdad said:
So surprise toll has not sold out phase 1 homes in both alta vista and bella vista. 
compare to HC when it first released its phase 1 homes, they  were sold out before it was released. In fact, there was a priority list for early phases in HC...

Could it be the cash restrictions by PROC since there's no cash flow restrictions when HC open but it has now, high end home tend to be more affected by this FCB cash crunch. 

I suspect HC also attracts more buyers from costal cities than OH but no data to back it up. 

ocdad said:

There are a few things different now vs 2 years ago. At the time when HC opened, Irvine has no brand new 4000-5000 sf luxury homes for sale in years. It created a buzz. There were a few Shady home owners buying in HC. Some of them are loaded. Also, many Asian buyers value IUSD more than TUSD. There were only 6 homes released at a time in HC vs 10+ homes in the first phase of Vistas.

Vistas is doing very well.

ocdad said:

In my opinion , a lot has to do w location and ease  of accessibility, especially given how crazy street traffic in Irvine is nowadays.  Otherwise it is a beautiful development with great floor plans.  I think we will have to wait a few months more to see how it shapes up. 

HC sold not just during the initial FCB wave of 2015 but also throughout last year when the more expensive and desirable lots came on the market.  Although recently there are many homes that are " green " and available there on the site plans.

Vistas aren't doing too bad considering current slow down in luxury market.

Bella Vista has only one home at "T" section with no view available out of 12 homes released and Alta Vista has 4 homes available out of 14 homes released.  The initial phase lots are in a lower elevation with no views.  If I was plunking $3 million, I would wait for the lot with a view at higher elevation albeit it will command a premium.

Also,  there are no model homes to look at.  These ppl are brave in buying $2.5mm homes even without looking at the models. 

bella vista preparing to release their next phase of 6 homes.  some very large lots, up to 15,000 sq ft is you are interested in that.  2.01-2.34M.

Back