30 Day Fitness Challenge 2015

SoCal said:
I re-started my own (perpetual) 30 Day Challenge on October 5.

I've lost exactly 8 lbs.

I think I've finally hit upon a solution which will still allow me to cook and eat all of the delicious meals and desserts that I'm always making, without counting calories, yet still move in the right direction just by being on auto-pilot. This is huge for me. I am excited that I have finally found a way that is effective without me giving up my "hobbies".

What are you doing? Eating in moderation?

qwerty said:
SoCal said:
I re-started my own (perpetual) 30 Day Challenge on October 5.

I've lost exactly 8 lbs.

I think I've finally hit upon a solution which will still allow me to cook and eat all of the delicious meals and desserts that I'm always making, without counting calories, yet still move in the right direction just by being on auto-pilot. This is huge for me. I am excited that I have finally found a way that is effective without me giving up my "hobbies".

What are you doing? Eating in moderation?

Binging and purging. Duh!

No, I'm kidding. Just eating a low carb / high protein bfast, lunch, and snack. Then eating whatever I want for dinner.

At first, I was skeptical if this would work. I tend to be a very "ALL or NOTHING" person. If I can't do something perfectly then I don't want any part of it. This seemed half-assed to me. Although, having plenty of experience as a calorie-counter, I knew "half-assed" can still be an improvement. I decided to test it for a week to see what would happen. However, I was also concerned that dinner might soon become the gateway to Weightloss Hell. After all, if I felt deprived during the day, I could theoretically stuff myself silly come 6 o'clock. But surprisingly, that didn't really happen. It probably helps that I've always put a lot of thought and effort into making pretty well-balanced dinners... I say as I type while eating carrot cake with cream cheese frosting that I've just made. But that's okay. I can have the cake because I had roasted chicken with an avocado for lunch and 28 almonds for snack and... Oh, God, I'm counting almonds. I'm turning into Homer. Someone stop me! Well, to sum things up, it worked great the first week and every week since then. It turns out this method is the one written about in the book entitled "French Women Don't Get Fat", which was a popular hit some years back. Now I see why "indulgence tempered with restraint" works for those skinny, wine-sipping, chocolate mousse-eating, baguette-buttering Frenchies.

SoCal if you're on a diet try subbing out your lunch a few days a week for the Acai or Pitaya bowls here:http://www.yelp.com/biz/my-cuppa-juice-lake-forest

These are so good, I've been getting them for lunch about 3 days a week and have been losing weight.  Usually I'm not the type that can have just this for lunch but the size of these is quite generous, only $7 each and very tasty.

I recommend the Tropical Pitaya bowl with honey (or sometimes I ask them to make the tropical and sub Pitaya for Acai).  Both very good.

Remember guys.  To lose weight it's not rocket science.. calories in vs calories out!!

Best of luck to you all!! Let's start another 30 day challenge sometime soon!

aquabliss said:
SoCal if you're on a diet try subbing out your lunch a few days a week for the Acai or Pitaya bowls here:http://www.yelp.com/biz/my-cuppa-juice-lake-forest

These are so good, I've been getting them for lunch about 3 days a week and have been losing weight.  Usually I'm not the type that can have just this for lunch but the size of these is quite generous, only $7 each and very tasty.

I recommend the Tropical Pitaya bowl with honey (or sometimes I ask them to make the tropical and sub Pitaya for Acai).  Both very good.

How much sugar and calories do the bowls have here. The ones at barefoot bowls have a ton of sugar. I think more than 45g. Yikes!

Homer_Simpson said:
Remember guys.  To lose weight it's not rocket science.. calories in vs calories out!!

I don't know Homer.  There are millions and millions of people who swear that they eat very little but remain fat.  They can't all be wrong >:D

Lets do the 30-day challenge from Jan 1st.  That way we can enjoy the holiday food and also gain enough so it will be easy to lose it using the calorie in - calorie out theory. 

Irvine Dream said:
Homer_Simpson said:

I don't know Homer.  There are millions and millions of people who swear that they eat very little but remain fat.  They can't all be wrong >:D

Lets do the 30-day challenge from Jan 1st.  That way we can enjoy the holiday food and also gain enough so it will be easy to lose it using the calorie in - calorie out theory.

Why wait Jan 1st?

The diet might save you b4 the 1st.

aquabliss said:

Oh, my gosh!!! This is so weird! You have no idea. There is a guy I go to church with who announced one Sunday morning that he opened up a new place. I went home that day and Googled it but had no luck. I kept trying days and weeks after. Still no luck. I wasn't sure I remembered the name correctly. I was so disappointed. I think we usually attend different services so I couldn't find him. I've driven to several places wondering if it was his. Nope. I really wanted to find his shop. Then I visited your link and flipped through the pics -- I see him!!! That's his place! Wow. And it turns out I know that employee, too! The employee is an awesome kid. I didn't even know he worked there. Thanks for the link. Wow, it's so funny that I found him on TI, of all places! I'll be sure to drop by soon and order up.

eyephone said:
Irvine Dream said:
Homer_Simpson said:

Why wait Jan 1st?

Waiting to start the challenge on Jan 1st will accomplish the following:
1) let me enjoy all the holiday festivities
2) Put on a little weight
3) Step 2 will make a weight loss easier
4) Lose weight and improve my self esteem (this would offset any temp adverse health effects of step 2)
5) Repeat next year

Ah, the irony!  I think I've met the owner before but he didn't have the mustache when I met him so not quite sure if it was the same guy as in the pics but he was really nice and always gave us some free samples.

I've been there 15 times and never seen that kid in the pic but they usually have young people working there and they are all very nice and polite.

Definitely give it a try, it's worth it.

Bones about the sugar and carbs, yes I think there is a lot but it's all natural sugars from fruit or honey.  Whenever people say there is a lot of sugar from fruit, I tell them to show me the guy whose gotten fat from eating fruit and I'll show you a guy who eats chips, ice cream and fried food in addition to their mango smoothies.

Irvine Dream said:
eyephone said:
Irvine Dream said:
Homer_Simpson said:

Why wait Jan 1st?

Waiting to start the challenge on Jan 1st will accomplish the following:
1) let me enjoy all the holiday festivities
2) Put on a little weight
3) Step 2 will make a weight loss easier
4) Lose weight and improve my self esteem (this would offset any temp adverse health effects of step 2)
5) Repeat next year

I hope it's only a "little weight"
Improve your self esteem?

it is still the net calorie. how much you burn depends on a lot of factors, and unfortunately age and genetics are the factors that you have no control of. Some people are blessed with good genes that their metabolism is high and they can stay skinny regardless how much they eat.

Irvine Dream said:
Homer_Simpson said:

I can see some hesitation to start a challenge before the end of the year. I would just encourage everyone to start as soon as possible, as Eyephone pointed out above. Especially the men of T.I. because we all know some guys aren't very vigilant about their health. Some men won't even see a doctor unless they're practically dead or dying. I got dealt some bad news yesterday. It is not about my health but the mister's. A problem was uncovered. I won't get into all the details. Let's just say I have very few fears in life but this was my greatest. As you can imagine, if one person's health suffers or they were to lose their life because of it, then it adversely affects their entire immediate family. Thank God I dragged him to the doctor when I did. He had not even had a physical in a decade. I had to literally make his appointment for him and force him to go. I'm not so sure he would be here much longer if I hadn't done that. Don't wait. Try your best. Today is the day.

SoCal said:
I got dealt some bad news yesterday. It is not about my health but the mister's. A problem was uncovered. I won't get into all the details.
I had to literally make his appointment for him and force him to go. I'm not so sure he would be here much longer if I hadn't done that.
Well good for you to make him go and hope things works out

Irvine Dream said:
Well good for you to make him go and hope things works out

Thanks. Now we're just waiting on the results of blood tests to see if there's anything else.

SoCal said:
I can see some hesitation to start a challenge before the end of the year. I would just encourage everyone to start as soon as possible, as Eyephone pointed out above. Especially the men of T.I. because we all know some guys aren't very vigilant about their health. Some men won't even see a doctor unless they're practically dead or dying. I got dealt some bad news yesterday. It is not about my health but the mister's. A problem was uncovered. I won't get into all the details. Let's just say I have very few fears in life but this was my greatest. As you can imagine, if one person's health suffers or they were to lose their life because of it, then it adversely affects their entire immediate family. Thank God I dragged him to the doctor when I did. He had not even had a physical in a decade. I had to literally make his appointment for him and force him to go. I'm not so sure he would be here much longer if I hadn't done that. Don't wait. Try your best. Today is the day.

Too many doughnuts?

Being on down slope of vitality, I can relate to SoCal's predicament.

Luckily I see my doc every 3-6 months so other than being a 3CWG when everyone else is 2CWG, I think I'm not dying too soon.

Let's all hope he'll be okay.

Back