2012: Year of the [insert tablet here]?!?

Just ordered a New iPad from B&H.  They are still in stock right now.  You need to call them (1-800-606-6969) if you want to place an order for the new ipads.

Apple Store at the Spectrum still has a bunch of iPads in stock, no line, no waiting. 
Walked in and was helped right away at 9:20 am.  The lack of fanfare was kind of surprising.

With the new retina screen alot of apps are updating and increasing in size, alot of bloated apps that I'll have to delete now.  But I'll take an universal app over iPhone or iPad specific only apps. 

So not only is the new iPad hot in sales... it's also just hotter... at least according to this:

ipad1332166924.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/19/new-ipad-10-degrees-hotter/

But worry not, Apple says it's "normal":
http://allthingsd.com/20120320/apples-chilly-response-to-ipad-heat-complaints/

Is there a HeatGate on the horizon with Apple giving out free cases made of ice?

Most people I know with tablets keep them in some type of case.  So with this additional 10 degrees, these things are going to cook during the summer outside.  Heat is evil to electronic devices.  Wonder what we'll see of this.

Yeah, that's way overpriced.  March will be ending and still no official announcement of any Android tablet that I want buy.

So not only are the new iPads warmer... they seem to have a battery charging issue:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/batterygate-apples-dysfunctional-ipad-3-battery-charger/72379

Dr. Raymond Soneira, president of DisplayMate, the world?s leading display and display tuning company, found while testing the iPad 3?s display, ?that the batteries do not actually reach full charge when 100% is shown and need up to an extra hour before the charging is done. After further investigation, Soneira has discovered, ?when the battery indicator first says 100% the battery is actually only 90% charged and you get 1.2 hours less running time.?

Apple, however, claimed to CNBC?s Jon Fortt, that ?If you charge it more than [when the battery indicator reads 100%], you could actually harm the longevity of the battery.? Nonsense, replied Soneira.

BatteryGate?

Wow, hopefully it's a software/firmware fix and not a permanent hardware issue.  Charging after reaching 100% shouldn't harm the battery.  It's supposed to stop charging when it's fully charged.  Otherwise, there'd be serious heat and possible explosion issues.

As much as I want an Android tablet for myself, I'm noticing that it's not something I've got to have.  I'm ok with waiting for something that's a gotta-have tablet.  If that wait is 6+ months away, I may not be able to wait and just get what's available at that time.

Are you a Windows person? Could you be holding out for Windows 8?

I think the "gotta have" part about the Google Nexus tablet is the sub $200 price... then it's "why not?".

I am a Windows person.  The wife has a Macbook Pro.  I'm not holding out for Win8.  I've never been one of those that tries new OSes.  I let others work out the bugs.  I guess I'm waiting to see the upcoming Samsung tablet that's supposed to have a great high res screen and the new processor.  But if it costs anywhere around $700, not worth it.  A $200 Nexus tablet does sound really tempting, but a10" would suit me better.

We got word this morning that the Google Tablet will be delayed until July; citing a redesign to reduce cost even further; they were speculating a price tag below $200, but might now be in the $149 range...

Google-branded, ASUS-made tablet reportedly arriving in Julyhttp://www.androidcentral.com/google-branded-asus-made-tablet-reportedly-arriving-july
androidcentral-bugdroid-asus.jpg

RC's Tablet Fund established... today!  I'm going to start saving my spare bills... current total: $14 dollars... now the wife credits is another issue...

IMG_20120406_100843.jpg

There were a lot of focus this afternoon's earning's conference call on mobile in general, Android and the Google Tablet; mobile is where things are heading towards in the future...
http://www.androidcentral.com/larry-page-android-tablets-lot-success-low-end
galaxytab-10-redux-1_0.jpg

Larry was asked a few questions about the Tablet...

I think that we're very excited about tablets. I think, you know, there's a number of Android tablets out there. Obviously, we have strong competition there as well. I think you've seen us really invest substantially in things like Google Play, which really gives you great access to entertainment, media, books and videos and so on, as well as the apps. And we think that's an important component on what we're doing.

I think there's also, obviously, there's been a lot of success on some lower-priced tablets that run Android -- maybe not the full Google version of Android. But we definitely believe that there's going to be a lot of success at the lower end of the market, as well, with lower-priced products that will be very significant. It's definitely an area we think is quite important and that we're quite focused on.

He was purposely being vague, but it is VERY important to Google... so therefore of course, I will BUY it...

RC's Google Tablet Fund:  $53

Back