2012: Year of the [insert tablet here]?!?

rkp said:
its like TIC...you think their newest houses rock but you hear rumors of the future garageless houses coming around the corner...
If TIC were to make tablets... they would make them screenless to save on costs.

Reactions: rkp
irvinehomeowner said:
rkp said:
its like TIC...you think their newest houses rock but you hear rumors of the future garageless houses coming around the corner...
If TIC were to make tablets... they would make them screenless to save on costs.

a true LOL moment :)

If the new Nexus 7 had a microsd slot, I'd be all in.  The rear camera isn't important to me.  The 8GB version is $199 with $25 Play Store credit or the 16GB version is $249 with same credit.  It being Nexus is a great plus in that it'll get great OS support.  I really don't like how Google is pushing their cloud offerings so hard and not offering a microsd slot.  It'll be very interesting to see what Amazon has in store with their up coming offerings.

I'm really looking forward to ASUS' up coming TF700.  I was hoping that it would be announced by this month and released next month.

So it's going to be sold mid July.  I wonder if that means it'll actually be some brick and mortar stores to take home or if you put in an order and wait a week or two for delivery?  I was reading about the Acer Iconia Tab A700 with it's high resolution also, but read that it has heat issues.

According to what I read... you can buy it now on the Google Play store... and it ships in mid-July.

They are not sure about retail availability because of the thin margins... but eventually Google does want to sell it at brick and mortar.

From the tech forums... I read that pushing 1920x1200 might be asking a bit much of Android and the SoCs (system on chip) they are using. But hey... if Apple can push 2048x1536, why not?

oopss.. I was talking about the ASUS TF700 being mentioned that it will be sold mid July.  I'd like to know when preorders will start.

jvna said:
oopss.. I was talking about the ASUS TF700 being mentioned that it will be sold mid July.  I'd like to know when preorders will start.
Oh I gotcha.

Usually I check Amazon... currently they don't have anything listed. There was some BestBuy link floating around somewhere but I can't find it.

I think the Nexus 7 looks sweet and will probably get it.  I haven't really looked into the Android table space until now and I just came across a $90 one from Polaroid:http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2012/06/10/first-impressions-of-the-polaroid-pmid-702c/

Might be good for the toddler since she is always trying to grab our iPad.  I need to do more research to see if this is something worth considering or if I should just get something like a LeapPad.

Those cheap Android tablets usually have resistive (vs capacitive) screens so they don't support multi-touch. It makes the touch experience less appealing.

While I think the Nexus 7 is good for the price... I really think the lack of external storage and top memory of 16gb is going to be a problem down the road. While file/document storage can go cloud... apps in the cloud don't really work that well for various reasons. I've read people commenting that they hope Asus still comes out with their MeMo 7 (what the N7 is based on) because it will had a microSD slot, but I doubt Asus will do that considering their partnership with Google on the N7.

One thing I noticed about the N7... huge bevels.

And while it seems many of the reviews are touting how light it is compared to the Fire... even 12 ounces isn't that light. I've been using the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus for reading (about the same weight) and it does get heavy after a while.

irvinehomeowner said:
Those cheap Android tablets usually have resistive (vs capacitive) screens so they don't support multi-touch. It makes the touch experience less appealing.

How would you compare it to something like a Leap Pad?  Are those resistive screens as well?

I believe the Leap Pad is also resistive.

Usually anything that can use a static stylus is resistive. There are pros and cons as then kids can use a stick or a fingernail to enable touch (old Windows Mobile phones were resistive)... but accuracy for fingers is not as good.

The new ChildPad is resistive and Amazon reviews don't seem to like it.

However... children may not care one way or the other.

No expandable memory is probably the biggest complaint right now about the Nexus 7.  With the 8GB version, only about 5.9GB is available after accounting for the OS and installed apps.

As for the large bezel, my thought is that it was designed that way so people have something to hold onto without covering the screen.

jvna said:
As for the large bezel, my thought is that it was designed that way so people have something to hold onto without covering the screen.
Well... from my usage of that form factor... that makes sense on the sides since that's a natural way to hold it... but I rarely hold it from the top or bottom as that makes it unbalanced and actually harder to hold over a length of time.

The top and bottom bezels are HUGE compared to other 7" tablets.

jvna said:
No expandable memory is probably the biggest complaint right now about the Nexus 7.  With the 8GB version, only about 5.9GB is available after accounting for the OS and installed apps.
You have a link for that? I've been trying to Google for how much usable space you have on an 8GB model.

Found it:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/199-...free-memory-and-no-micro-SD-card-slot_id31712

AwdXs5fCMAALJWX.png

Samsung must have more bloatware than the Nexus 7,  I just checked and the Tab Plus only has 4.6GB usable... but, unlike the N7, I can add 16 or 32GB with a microSD card.

Looks like 2 new Kindle Fires (7" and 10") are on the way:
http://www.bgr.com/2012/07/09/amazon-kindle-fire-2-tablet-high-resolution-display/

The 7" will have a metallic body, 1280x800 resolution and a camera... to try to throw down with the Nexus 7.

With rumors of not 1 but 2 iPads coming out before the holidays (a 7.85" model and another 10" model... which I have no idea what they can improve on)... it seems like 2012 is still being iDominated.

Also... the Galaxy Note II is rumored to be coming out in September too.

Back