2012: Year of the [insert tablet here]?!?

It'll be interesting to see how it does against the Nexus 7.  Doesn't make sense that 2 more iPad models are coming out.  Maybe a smaller 7" form factor, but another 10"?  That wouldn't be jiving with their one model per year history.  The Galaxy Note is a monster of a phone.  Someone at work has it and it's like holding a thin brick to your face when he talks on it.  I want to see the TF700 in person.  I think it'll be my first Android tablet after waiting so long.

I know some of you guys have connections with Asia... can one of you import one of those Yinlips or JXD gaming consoles for me?

They look like a PSP but run Android (2.3 or 4.0) and have emulators for all the old console games. I figure at $100-$150 a pop, that's less than any good tablet and my kids can use them to watch movies, play games, Netflix (if possible) or whatever. I think the Yinlips YDPG18A is the best of the bunch:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn7jPAd4CGM[/youtube]

I wonder why no American company has US-branded one of these and tried to sell them here (obviously you would change the PSP look). If OUYA can raise over $3mil for a $99 Android TV game console (http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/11/ouya-stretch-goals/)... surely someone can raise 1/3 that much for a portable Android game console. Maybe this can be a TI-venture we can embark on... I know a guy who has connections in donuts---err---Asia (cough)... we'll kickstart a TI-Gamer-Tablet project.

irvinehomeowner said:
so, today is supposed to be Nexus 7 day and early reports have them sold out at Gamestop, Walmart and Sam's Club.

I received my shipping confirmation.  Should be here soon :)

Thanks for the info IHO.  I haven't been here in a while.  I actually already ordered the TF700T from Amazon and it's out for delivery today.  You can get the Nexus 7 8GB from Google Play and it'll ship in 3-5 days.  The 16GB version will take a few weeks.  I'm hoping the TF700T doesn't have too many issues.  I'm sure ASUS will sort it out sooner rather than later if it does.  Also crossing my fingers for a JB update in the near future.

So I'll have my first Android tablet... and just in time for a road trip to the mid west.

That unboxing clip of the Nexus 7 is funny.  Apple spends so much time/money on their box design to give customers a great unboxing experience.  I guess Google didn't do the same with the Nexus 7.

I will give it to Apple on their packaging... very minimalist and elegant.

You'll actually find ASUS is close in that regard (from what I remember from my OG Transformer).

Let us know how your Transformer Prime HD is (is TF700T the name they are using?).

I found that I can't live without external storage on a tablet unless the tablet is like a 32gigger... there is no Cloud when you are on an airplane.

It's called the Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T.  I also wanted a tablet with a microsd slot.  The TF700T comes in 32gb or 64gb.  I chose the 32gb and got a 32gb class 10 microsd card.  I'll report back in a few weeks after our road trip.

Amazon announces the Kindle Fire HD, 7" and 8.9" versions:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/amazon-announces-kindle-fire-hd/

The 7" has 1280x800 rez and a front camera, the 8.9" has an amazing 1920x1200 rez. The 7 starts at $199 and the 8.9 starts at $299. They also announced an updated Kindle Fire (original 7") that starts at $159.

I like how they are staying out of the Apple dominated 10" space... but we'll see how these fare once Apple announces (supposedly) their mini iPad.

So... Apple event tomorrow... rumor is they will announce the iPad Mini... a 13" MacBookPro with Retina Display... and a 3rd gen iPad update (the New iPad) that replaces the 30-pin port with the new Lightning port.

Year of the iPad indeed.

irvinehomeowner said:
Speaking of tablets... did anyone pre-order a Microsoft Surface? That's the Windows 8 tablet.

I might be interested in the Surface Pro version--best of both worlds: tablet ultra portability and backward compatible with Windows productivity software. This might be pretty expensive--saw online ? $800-1000.

irvinehomeowner said:
So... Apple event tomorrow... rumor is they will announce the iPad Mini... a 13" MacBookPro with Retina Display... and a 3rd gen iPad update (the New iPad) that replaces the 30-pin port with the new Lightning port.

Year of the iPad indeed.

So many new toys coming out! I'm tempted to get the 13" Retina MBP - although my 2009 13" MBP is running great now that I upgraded the RAM, replaced the HD with an SSD and installed a new battery.  The new MacMini is also on my radar. 

Is anyone planning to get the iPad Mini? 

So it looks link the iPad Mini is real and starts at $329 with Wifi and comes black or white. You'll have to pay more for the cellular versions. The real surprising news was the upgraded 4th Gen iPad with new A6x processor and Retina display...just 6 months after the iPad2. Sucks if you just bought an ipad. I also loved the thinner iMac design as well.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

So just like that... the iPad 3 (or the New iPad) is out and the 4th Gen is in... faster CPU, better cameras and LTE connector... Apple is becoming like Android with their product cycling. I wonder how those iPad 3 buyers feel with a new one coming out only 6(?) months later.

The mini is 7.9"... not sure that's really that "mini"... and the 16GB starts at $329... so the rumors of a $249 start were wrong (which doesn't make sense if the new iPod Touch starts at $299.

EDIT: Heh... IAC and I were thinking the same thing.

It's going to be interesting to watch how well the mini sells.

While the design is nice, the resolution is lower than most Android 7" competitors and it's about $100 more. But knowing Apple, they will have sales that Android makers will drool for.

At $329, it's not something I would buy for the kids... and with rumors of a Nexus at $99... that's probably going to be my kid tablets.

Oh... and a Win8 RT Transformer-type VivoTab from ASUS at $599 for 32gb including the keyboard dock is compelling... only problem is RT doesn't run legacy Win apps.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/23/asus-vivotab-rt-pricing-availability/

asus-vivotab-rt.jpg

Back