2012: Year of the [insert tablet here]?!?

apple store site still down, iOS 5.1 is out, camera button now permanent on lock screen.. easier to take food pics.. nice

Got through to to checkout on Apple store for the new iPad.  Guess it wasn't super hard to get on pre-order.  Didn't order as I'm gonna wait for the next fangled Android tab to be released.  The no widget, locked system, quasi-multi-task iPad just won't work for me.

I won't be getting The New iPad (really... that's the name?) either.

Waiting on the Google Nexus... or any other nice 7" tablet... but Android... not Apple (even if they do come out with an iPad Mini).

If I were to buy a bigger one... the Transformer Infinity or the Galaxy 11" (2060x1600 res) would be my choice.

Perhaps it's just me but this new toy announcement was a real ho-hum.  No Siri, no Bluetooth, relatively poor rear camera (5mp in an 8mp + environment???) . Absolutely terrible front camera. Yeah, the screen is nicer. 4G is helpful unless your data plan throttles you.

Meh... I'm better off snatching a used IP 2 off of some Hipster who wants the latest and greatest than to pick up one of these (although the IP 2 camera is comparable to a Kodak Brownie. Am I missing something? 

For those that do plan to buy, discover card has 5% cashback from apple store, obviously must use discover card...

It still has Bluetooth (just like the previous one)... it's actually BT 4.0.

Camera quality is not just MPs... but I don't think people use tablets for their awesome camera quality (so funny how you say 5MP isn't good enough but last year everyone complained that it wasn't 5MP).

The battery life on 4G is a big one... current tablets still have a hard time matching up with the iPad so being able to keep the life long with a higher-rez screen and 4G drain is impressive.

For me... the screen resolution and the updated processor are the big adds. Most likely, if you already have a 2, you may not upgrade (like the Mrs.) but anyone who has been waiting because they didn't feel the 2 was much better than the 1... this is where they will jump on.

I just don't get it... why would anyone buy the new iPad over this...?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Uh3Zy3fnHLQ[/youtube]

IHR. You're right. It does have BT. My mistake.

Soylent Red has an IJebusPad 2 and uses it pretty much on a daily basis. The camera is junk, relative to what you get even on cheapie smart phones. Since the Ipad can be used for picture editing, why shouldn't you load it up with a high quality camera? They are incrimentally boosting the value of the unit - the right way to market, of course - but by the time they get around to an 8mp camera, 10-20+ PM phones will be around. It's short sighted to scrimp on the camera. Samsung did the same thing with the Galaxy Nexus and probably lost quite a few buyers to other phone manufacturers.

Don't get me started on lack of Flash support - a global Apple issue. I hear Soylent Red curse my name everytime she runs into a Flash based web page that her IJebusPad won't render.

Flash is probably going away.

WindowsPhone and Win8 won't support it... and Android is also dropping support for it.

But I think there is an iOS app that let's you browse Flash sites.

Higher quality cameras should be in phones since they are with you all the time... on tablets... especially 10"+ ones... not as convenient. But again... the *5*MP is only one part of the equation... it will probably generate better photos than those 8MP cameras on other tablets and phones. Apple does a very good job with their camera optics with lesser MPs.

So ASUS may be the vendor producing the first Google Nexus tablet?

http://www.talkandroid.com/98217-google-nexus-tablet-could-arrive-in-may-priced-between-199-and-249/?utm_source=feedburner-ta&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AndroidNewsGoogleAndroidForums+%28Android+News%2C+Rumours%2C+and+Updates%29

asus_memo_370T-420x308.jpg

We reported earlier this week that ASUS was selected to manufacture the first Google Nexus tablet. Now Digitimes posted news confirming this and adding that HTC and Acer were in the mix. The difference in their report versus what we posted earlier in the week is that a release could happen in May and they gave a price range of $199 to $249, whereas we heard June for the release and a firm price of $199. We did hear that production would start in April and Digitimes confirms that.

Yep... that's what I've read too... which makes me wonder if Asus is still going to come out with their 7" MeeGo knowing that Google will be undercutting them with their own tech.

I hope the next few months will bring great new Android tablets that exceeds expectations, instead of being huge let downs like the Transformer Prime.

irvinehomeowner said:
Yep... that's what I've read too... which makes me wonder if Asus is still going to come out with their 7" MeeGo knowing that Google will be undercutting them with their own tech.

yeah, I read that too... they sound like the same Tab,

Currently a 2-3 week delay when you order the "New iPad" online... reports are they are already sold out of the 1st batch so trying to get them in-store this Friday might be an issue.

I still don't understand after 3 years why Apple just doesn't make a gazillion of these things since they know they will sell them. While having lines and being sold out might be nice hype... it's not exactly consumer-friendly.

Good thing we skipped this round... although we would have pre-ordered online like PS9 to ensure "firstness".

I'm sure they produce as much and as quickly as they can.  They have Foxconn running 24/7 when they start producing them.  They can only make so many before release.

Back