2012: Year of the [insert tablet here]?!?

So March 7 is iPad 3 day:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/28/apple-ipad-event-confirmed-for-march-7th-in-san-francisco/

apple-ipad-event-1330451113.jpg

Poor RC... he doesn't want to report this because he's skurrred.

iPad 2s (and iPad 1s) are still worth more in resale vs. non-iPad tablets released at the same price point at the same time.

Do you refute that?

Boom-sha-ka-la-ka!

irvinehomeowner said:
iPad 2s (and iPad 1s) are still worth more in resale vs. non-iPad tablets released at the same price point at the same time.

Do you refute that?

Boom-sha-ka-la-ka!

ok.. well, let me see; first open up the safari browser, go to craigslist; have to close that tab to open up another re-sale web-page; then; close that out, and open up the calculator app... crunch some numbers, ok, then close that app; open safari back up; go to TI Bookmark; oh, what was that number again; close that, open calculator again, write number on pen & post-it... and open Safari back up; go back home; open up TI... oh forget it...

roundcorners said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Do you refute that?

Boom-sha-ka-la-ka!

ok.. well, let me see; first open up the safari browser, go to craigslist; have to close that tab to open up another re-sale web-page; then; close that out, and open up the calculator app... crunch some numbers, ok, then close that app; open safari back up; go to TI Bookmark; oh, what was that number again; close that, open calculator again, write number on pen & post-it... and open Safari back up; go back home; open up TI... oh forget it...
Truly written by someone who doesn't use iOS... it has both tabbed web pages and fast app switching. You can remove your shoe from your mouth now.

And Android's browser loses my place in a webpage more than iOS has.

Here's another... even the retail prices of non-iPad tablets released since last March are lower than now (Motorola XOOM, Acer Iconia, Toshiba Thrive, HP TouchPad, RIM Playbook)... oh wait... some of them aren't even being sold any more because no one bought them... Ska-Doosh!

my wife has the ipad 2 and i have to agree with RC.  while you can switch between apps quickly, its no where close to a traditional PC experience.  i constantly feel like the ipad is stopping or blocking what i am trying to do.  now this might be the case with all tablets as i really dont know android either

rkp said:
my wife has the ipad 2 and i have to agree with RC.  while you can switch between apps quickly, its no where close to a traditional PC experience.  i constantly feel like the ipad is stopping or blocking what i am trying to do.  now this might be the case with all tablets as i really dont know android either
That's the thing... it's no different on Android either (remember... RC only has a phone... doesn't have an Android tablet or iPad... I've had both). In fact, many times Android will kill my background app when it goes to sleep so I have to find my webpage again.

webOS and PlayBook OS are actually better at multi-app management than both iOS and Android.

That teaser shot shows a great resolution, but I know that upcoming Android tabs are also supposed to have higher res.  If iOS had more flexibility and did multi-tasking better (or at all), I would seriously consider an iPad.  It's a beautiful product that does what it's intended to do very well.  I just wish there was some type of power user mode that let you do more configuration on it.  I hate that there's no back button.

Reactions: rkp
i would also like more under the hood control...like being able to tell an app how i want it to treat swipes...i dont like that each app decides itself and some suck at understand

I've only seen Android previews of 1920x1080... the iPad is supposed to double the current resolution of 1024x768 to 2048x1536... that's a higher resolution than 1080p.

I'm *still* waiting for a US edition of the Galaxy Tab 7.7. The specs, screen and battery life are near or at the top.

rkp said:
i would also like more under the hood control...like being able to tell an app how i want it to treat swipes...i dont like that each app decides itself and some suck at understand
Jailbreaking will set you free.

irvinehomeowner said:
rkp said:

for some reason i thought the latest ipad 2 couldnt be jailbroken but will look into it

irvinehomeowner said:
rkp said:

You will need to Jailbreak just to just to get Stocks, Calculator, voice memo, compass and Weather on the Ipad..!

Remember this video..!!
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/25/belfry-bring-iphone-apps-to-jailbroken-ipad/
belfry-1327443688.jpg

That is simply ridiculous...  I love how like the Calculator is all huge and all...!

@rc:

Sorry bro... you lost credibility with me when you didn't know that iOS does app switching (you don't "close" the apps).

I don't think you can really comment on iOS-related usability stuff until you actually use it.

IHO - i havent read the details or tech behind but the feeling i get as a user is that its not app switching in the sense i am used to.  it feels like its caching its state much like when you put your PC to sleep and then bringing it from cache, albeit very quickly.  that doesnt sound too bad but it sucks when i put the ipad down for an hour and come back to it and want to go through some of the tabs in safari.  each of them has lost their "state" and while the tab exists, it has to reload to show me the content.  i would love to open 20 tabs of articles and content before boarding a flight and not worry about losing them. 

irvinehomeowner said:
@rc:

Sorry bro... you lost credibility with me when you didn't know that iOS does app switching (you don't "close" the apps).

I don't think you can really comment on iOS-related usability stuff until you actually use it.

alright, I'll give you that...  I do get my info from playing around at BB & watching videos like the one above.  Can you tell me if that video above is accurate..?

Secondly, I do know what I need to get the job done on a daily basis, and this is more of what I need...  So we shall see how the next iPad does, to each it's own...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhpnlyBb6xI[/youtube]

@rkp:

For browsers... it depends on the site. Some require a refresh... others will stay there for days... but it's the same functionality on Android. Like right now, I have one "tab" (on the iPhone it still uses "pages") and it is on a site that I've been on since last week and when I open it, it's still where I was reading last... another page I have a site I was just looking at last night but when I open it, it reloads.

But on apps, if you "close" them (you don't really close them, you minimize them), the next time you open it, depending on how the vendor implemented it, you will be back at the same place you were before. If I was playing Angry Birds or Bejeweled, it would take me back to the middle of the last stage I was playing, or my Calculator would still have the last number I had on the screen when I "closed" it.

In RC's iHate example, he made it seem like you had to open, close and restart each app over and over again... which is not true. I also like iOS' implementation of the double-press Home button that brings up the recently used apps list for fast switching... and I believe Honeycomb's recent app list has a number limit, whereas iOS doesn't.

In other tablet related news, Toshiba is releasing their revamped 10" tablet on March 6. It's much thinner that the absurdly thick Thrive, but still has 1280x800, is only running Honeycomb (ICS update later) and guess how much they'll sell it for? $530 for 16gb! So not only does it have last year's resolution and OS... but also higher priced than a similar iPad 2. And... 1 day later, will probably be priced higher than a better spec'ed iPad 3.

This is why Android is having issues in the tablet market... the makers still don't understand what they need to do (other than Asus).

rkp said:
irvinehomeowner said:
rkp said:

for some reason i thought the latest ipad 2 couldnt be jailbroken but will look into it

I'm not really sure, but I don't think jailbreaking the iPad will still give you the same amount of control as rooting would on an Android device.

rkp said:
btw, for the ipad users, have you checkedhttp://desktop.onlive.com/

i was skeptical at first as it?s a video streaming technology but it was fast and responsive?pretty amazing

Interesting.  I guess if I ever wanted to do some office work on an iPad or Android tablet, I'll try this.

irvinehomeowner said:
In other tablet related news, Toshiba is releasing their revamped 10" tablet on March 6. It's much thinner that the absurdly thick Thrive, but still has 1280x800, is only running Honeycomb (ICS update later) and guess how much they'll sell it for? $530 for 16gb! So not only does it have last year's resolution and OS... but also higher priced than a similar iPad 2. And... 1 day later, will probably be priced higher than a better spec'ed iPad 3.

This is why Android is having issues in the tablet market... the makers still don't understand what they need to do (other than Asus).

That new Toshiba is also sporting an older TI Omap dual core processor.  Major fail with the hardware and OS specs at a redonkulous price.

Back