would you buy an all electric car

Would You Replace one of your current cars with an all electric vehicle?

• Yes

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Maybe - if the car was cheaper and had a practical driving range

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Real men dont know what an electric car is

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
OpenSky said:
lnc said:
It's really hard to have a pure electric car as the only car.

I will consider electric car if it use hydrogen/full cell instead of batteries to store energy.  At least HFC will solve the time consuming charging/fulling issue of the electric car if they build enough hydrogen fulling stations.

Agree. EV/plug-ins are a supplement.

The world has evolved such that there is room for more than one competing technology "all of the above." Like arguing for nuclear vs. solar vs. coal vs. hydro. There isn't one answer.

if something is a supplement, not ready for primetime. like IHO said, you point this out with your posts but doesnt seem to register with you.

now its one to more important things, like what new restaurant will we try today for lunch.

OpenSky said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I think the contention is how we define "prime time".

While EVs are gaining traction, the ratio of EVs to gas/diesel is still small. At what point do we think it's there?

We might go option 3, keep our 2 cars and get a 3rd one that is an EV.

And how do these micro-cars fit into the equation? Like Europe, we are seeing a proliferation of these Minis, Smarts, Souls etc.

We started that way because the lease is so damn cheap, we figured it was a ticket to ride the carpool and tote around town cheaply. One of the cars just sat. Refactored to the two car setup we have now. I miss having a sporty car, but when you consider how rarely you can drive at seven tenths, the tug dies quickly.
That's why you go to the track so you can drive 9/10th.  ;)

I didn't get an EV because I need RANGE and I worry about running out of power and being stranded on the side of the road.  The Plug-in Prius has a 10-12 mile range on the electric charge which is enough if I want to run a few errands around town, it only charges up in 2-3 hours.  Once the electric charge is gone the gas part kicks in.  On gas mode I get 50+ mpg so I get around 500 miles out of one tank of gas (less than 10 gallons).  I also looked at the natural gas civic but that only got 200-220 miles out of a fill up so I passed on that.

Does anyone know if you purchase an EV with a range extender in California, does that disqualify your from getting a sticker for the carpool lane?

Like I said before, it's how you define primetime.

To me, that means it's the primary vehicle... and as OpenSky has posted, an EV is not.

While a convertible has less numbers percentage-wise than other cars, it can still be a primary vehicle for most of the population (except me). Same with a motorcycle (weather permitting, and again, except me).

So maybe OpenSky is arguing that it's primetime for an EV to be a supplemental vehicle... which could be true, but not the same argument qwerter was making.

Again, to me, primetime is when an EV can REPLACE my current vehicle and until it's cheap enough, has enough range and can fit my big bacteria'd body... it can't. This is the case for the majority of the population.

A good question is when will this happen... or can it happen? Just as I mentioned before about smaller cars and gas efficiency, big oil and big auto aren't giving up on high efficiency gas engines. So this will stretch out the "when" EVs can replace them.

OpenSky said:
iacrenter said:
Does anyone know if you purchase an EV with a range extender in California, does that disqualify your from getting a sticker for the carpool lane?

No, you would get a green sticker and be fully qualified for the carpool lane.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...er-no-white-ca-carpool-lane-sticker-heres-why

Currently green and white stickers have the same expiration (Jan 1 2019), though the white stickers outlasted the yellow ones (and could outlast the green ones).

Regardless, you have 4.5+ years on a green sticker if you bought today.

Interesting reading that article. I was considering the i3 and realize that with the range extender it places it in a new category in California.

If I did buy one, it would be a 3rd vehicle. But like others have said, my main concern would be range.

For those interested in the new BMW i3, a national test drive event is going on now. You can sign up at this link (choose the NO ID option if you don't have an invitation):
https://www.bmwusa.com/secured/content/forms/BMWi3.aspx

Here are some of the dates and local dealerships offering test drives of the new i3:

Crevier BMW
1500 Auto Mall Dr, Santa Ana, CA
Mar. 30, 2014

Irvine BMW
9881 Research Dr, Irvine, CA
Apr. 5, 2014

Sterling BMW
3000 W Coast Hwy
Newport Beach, CA 92663
April 3, 2014

Shelly BMW
6750 Auto Center Dr, Buena Park, CA