would you buy an all electric car

Would You Replace one of your current cars with an all electric vehicle?

• Yes

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Maybe - if the car was cheaper and had a practical driving range

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Real men dont know what an electric car is

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

qwerty

let the people speak! they already have spoken with their wallet but lets see what an internet poll says.

I'd buy an electric car for a daily driver.  However, I'd like to have a weekend car to drive when I forget to plug it in, haha.

I would have voted for "real men dont know what an electric car is" but since I have a Prius I opted for option 3.  For me, it has to have longer range since I use it to drive all over (including to track events when the RS is trailered and Vegas to see my dad). 

bones said:
qwerty said:
let the people speak! they already have spoken with their wallet but lets see what an internet poll says.

I would LOVE to.  But with the current ranges and the commute, it's not realistic.  The only one I would even consider would be the Tesla but dot dot dot.
I am intrigued by the BMW i series.  I have a general love for BMWs and the range extender they're putting in the i3 may work for us.  But with the current options out there, an electric car would have to be our 3rd vehicle.  And I don't want 3 cars.
Bones, you would have loved my sexy E92 M3 Coupe....

bones said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
bones said:
qwerty said:

I would LOVE to.  But with the current ranges and the commute, it's not realistic.  The only one I would even consider would be the Tesla but dot dot dot.
I am intrigued by the BMW i series.  I have a general love for BMWs and the range extender they're putting in the i3 may work for us.  But with the current options out there, an electric car would have to be our 3rd vehicle.  And I don't want 3 cars.
Bones, you would have loved my sexy E92 M3 Coupe....

Drool. Damn. Shoulda let you show me some houses when u owned that car.
I had it from April 2011 until May 2013...you had 2 years Bones.  :p

USCTrojanCPA said:
I would have voted for "real men dont know what an electric car is" but since I have a Prius I opted for option 3. 

YOU have a PRIUS? I just can not picture you driving a Prius at all. That would be the last car on earth I'd expect to see you in.

Actually I would think real men understand torque curves and the huge advantage electric motors offer over gas engines in that regard.  You get max torque off the line every single time you mash the pedal.  Getting max torque out of a gas engine at each stoplight requires driving like a real ass.

IMO the batteries are still too heavy to make the trade worth it, but I expect that will greatly improve within 10 years.  I don't see myself in an electric car before then.  My wife and I commute all of 1 mile to work, but that means we don't stand to save much on energy expenses by going electric.  Maybe when gas is $10 a gallon.  We spend about $2k a year on gasoline (while averaging about 14mpg!).

Back