would you buy an all electric car

Would You Replace one of your current cars with an all electric vehicle?

• Yes

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Maybe - if the car was cheaper and had a practical driving range

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Real men dont know what an electric car is

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What is the purpose of driving an EV?

1. To save money on gas?

2. Or to reduce your carbon footprint?

I'll drive an EV smaller than a minivan if they give me those auto-sliding doors.

I think the contention is how we define "prime time".

While EVs are gaining traction, the ratio of EVs to gas/diesel is still small. At what point do we think it's there?

We might go option 3, keep our 2 cars and get a 3rd one that is an EV.

And how do these micro-cars fit into the equation? Like Europe, we are seeing a proliferation of these Minis, Smarts, Souls etc.

We replaced one of our cars with a Leaf a few years ago and when the lease was up, we leased another Leaf.  No regrets.

irvinehomeowner said:
I think the contention is how we define "prime time".

While EVs are gaining traction, the ratio of EVs to gas/diesel is still small. At what point do we think it's there?

We might go option 3, keep our 2 cars and get a 3rd one that is an EV.

And how do these micro-cars fit into the equation? Like Europe, we are seeing a proliferation of these Minis, Smarts, Souls etc.

Yes that is the contention. Wy wife got a new gig and the commute is longer than her commute with more traffic flow and because the leaf would get her the carpool access depending on how the drive works out I told her she should get a leaf, the gas savings cover most of the lease payment and she will save time. I'm a proponent of these things, like I said, my company has a stake in this industry, so the better it does the better the better off my bank account is, the electric car has it's limited uses and it's great in those situations. However, adoption won't be widespread until the costs come down to produce ( because they won't continue to sell these at a loss on major volume), charging times come down (to most people, if they had to wait 15-20 minutes at a public charger is not acceptable) and lastly the range needs to go up significantly).

Where's the poll option??

I check the yes box.  I want the Tesla SUV.  I just have to measure my garage first.

Out of curiosity, assuming you use the EV for commuting and do other normal driving, how much would you guess it adds to the electric bill?

@OpenSky:

I understand what you're is talking about with convenience but on the other side, there can be inconveniences too, like forgetting to plug the car in overnight (as we sometimes do with our phones)... then who is going to be late to work?

I don't see gassing my vehicle or taking it for an oil change that much of an inconvenience than having to remember to charge my car every night, figure out where a charging station is or having to plan my day based on who is driving where. At the same time, I don't think a 15-20 minute wait time to charge is that bad either.

But... the range thing is big obstacle right now. What if your cell phone only has 2 hours of battery time so you have to plug it in every 2 hours... even if it's only for a minute, the fact that you have to make that adjustment, make sure you are near a power source every 2 hours... that is significant shift in what you do. And sure, many of us are near a desk during the day so finding a power source every 2 hours isn't really an issue, except for those times you are not.

Cost, range and convenience... those need to be efficient in order to get into "prime time"... which by your previous post, whether you admit or not, seems like you agree that it's not "prime time" yet. :)

hey opensky - its great you are trying to change the world. there is nothing with admitting you were wrong man. take it like a man and move on, your "i never wait while i charge" argument is getting tired. i wait 20 minutes a month fueling up my car, if i dont plan my day correctly i may get stuck on the road, and then i have to get towed, cause i dont think AAA is going to give me a 5 minute charge.  if im lucky enough to get to a public charge i have to wait 20 minutes to fill it up, just as much as time as all the fill ups i did in the month. and guess what, while im filling up with gas im not even waiting cause im checking work emails so im working!, NOT WAITING! while i gas up. same thing with oil changes, i never wait, i just have my wife pick me up and we run errands. 

OpenSky said:
qwerty said:
hey opensky - its great you are trying to change the world. there is nothing with admitting you were wrong man. take it like a man and move on, your "i never wait while i charge" argument is getting tired. i wait 20 minutes a month fueling up my car, if i dont plan my day correctly i may get stuck on the road, and then i have to get towed, cause i dont think AAA is going to give me a 5 minute charge.  if im lucky enough to get to a public charge i have to wait 20 minutes to fill it up, just as much as time as all the fill ups i did in the month. and guess what, while im filling up with gas im not even waiting cause im checking work emails so im working!, NOT WAITING! while i gas up. same thing with oil changes, i never wait, i just have my wife pick me up and we run errands.

Wrong about what? Last I looked at your poll, it looked like a giant backfire.  >:D

like i said in the first post, its an internet poll, the public has already voted and will continue to vote with their wallet. putting their money where their mouth is, not a lot of people do it. we both agree that electric cars can be perfect for some people man, but "some people" is just not a large number right now.

It's really hard to have a pure electric car as the only car.

I will consider electric car if it use hydrogen/full cell instead of batteries to store energy.  At least HFC will solve the time consuming charging/fulling issue of the electric car if they build enough hydrogen fulling stations.

OpenSky said:
qwerty said:

Wrong about what? Last I looked at your poll, it looked like a giant backfire.  >:D

Why would you not have two different cars in your garage that accomplish two different tasks? Looks like you're just butthurt that you couldn't convince your wife to do the smart thing and save cash and time with an EV.

not butt hurt, like i said, for the purpose of getting the carpool sticker, she may get one. not looking to make the electric car a replacement for her SUV. just working the system to get the carpool. im not looking to save money with an EV, i spend 800-1000 a month on my dogs, probably a 25-30% of your mortgage, does that sound like someone looking for some chump change. doubt it buddy.

lnc said:
It's really hard to have a pure electric car as the only car.

I will consider electric car if it use hydrogen/full cell instead of batteries to store energy.  At least HFC will solve the time consuming charging/fulling issue of the electric car if they build enough hydrogen fulling stations.

dont be stupid INC! you never have to wait while charging your car! you never drive more than 80 miles a day anyway. DUH. just make the switch now.

Back