Windy and FIRE!!!

bones said:
Did any homes actually burn in any of the previous fires?

I don't think so. I remember it jumped the 241 but that's as far as it got.

Where homes did burn was the Laguna Beach fire decades ago which was weird for me because I didn't think homes near the beach would get caught in a blaze like that. That area packs a higher premium than Irvine.

Although the loss of property and livelihood was terrible in the Laguna Fire, those who lost their 1960's mid-century single story homes on 11,000 SF lots were well rewarded. Most of the burnt homes in the view areas in the city all the way down to Emerald Bay now have $4 $6m replacement homes, some having the rebuild paid exclusively by insurance. Before the fire the Coastal Commission and/or the City would stomp down on any sort of teardown and rebuild projects. Nary a peep from them after the fire.

Wouldn't want it to happen to me, but in rare cases like the Laguna fire there were some who benefited mightily in the aftermath.

I just saw the news. A bunch of fire trucks guarding homes appear to be Alta/Bella Vista in OH. I heard 2 firefighters are hurt in critical conditions.

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:

Where homes did burn was the Laguna Beach fire decades ago which was weird for me because I didn't think homes near the beach would get caught in a blaze like that. That area packs a higher premium than Irvine.

42 structures burned in the last Santiago fire (started by arson) including 14 homes.
https://laist.com/latest/post/20201026/silverado_fire_santiago_fire_2007_orange_county
https://www.ocregister.com/2012/10/22/5-years-ago-santiago-fire-scorched-oc/

WTTCHMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:

42 structures burned in the last Santiago fire (started by arson) including 12 homes.
https://laist.com/latest/post/20201026/silverado_fire_santiago_fire_2007_orange_county

Almost all fires are intentionally set by criminals.

WTTCHMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:

42 structures burned in the last Santiago fire (started by arson) including 14 homes.

I meant in Irvine.

I remember that 241 fire. Firefighters were in PS enclave 1 defending it.

So homes did NOT burn in Irvine last time right?

I mentioned the LB fires only because people were asking how the last fires affected Irvine prop values. A good number of homes did burn in LB but their prop values are still high.

hamilton said:
Movingup said:
Makes me pause consider buying a new house in OH.

Someone correct me if I'm thinking about this the wrong way but if an area burns up its fuel doesnt it decrease the chance of it burning again for a while?

You are correct. The best practice against wildfires is to regularly have controlled burns. Unfortunately due to budgets and fear, this is rarely if ever done in many areas that need it.

While this fire won't affect home prices on paper, for any buyers considering a home in OH, you probably have about a one week window where a motivated seller will take a lower offer than they otherwise would.

Movingup said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
kenmasters said:
Insensitive question - How did the Irvine housing market react to the last nearby fires?  Were there any temporary decline in prices?  (Currently in escrow with a house with a lot of newly discovered problems and this may just give me another reason consider backing out)

It didn't really move the needle. One of my buyers who is on the waitlist at Cetara thinks it'll help them move up the buyer list as some people have second thoughts.

Why do you think people don't care? So, they are willing to gamble their houses don't get burnt to the ground?

Basic human psychology. Why can you not stop smoking, drinking, doing drugs, lying, cheating, doing prostitutes, etc., until you hit "rock bottom"? Because death or metaphorical death has to be palpable before radical change will happen.

Why do some people not understand the crucial role of masks during coronavirus? It won't be palpable until coronavirus hits home. Even then, even if it kills somebody close to you, you still can't confirm or disconfirm that a mask would have prevented COVID, so enter the 2nd level of defiant "dumbness."

Let's not even talk about buying a home in fire zones. What about people who refuse to evacuate? That's even more extreme. Many people won't panic until they can see and feel the flames, like I felt today. Paradoxically, sometimes it's too late to react when you wait til the 11th hour.

hamilton said:
We just left baker ranch and Alton going north towards BR and foothill ranch was being closed off to all traffic...Looks like we may not be able to go back right away even if we wanted to.

Go up Lake Forest Dr. to Portola Pkwy and go west.

bones said:
WTTCHMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:

I meant in Irvine.

I remember that 241 fire. Firefighters were in PS enclave 1 defending it.

The city?s sky has been filled with smoke while residents? minds have been filled with questions and fear for five days as a wildfire has roared in north Irvine.

The fire started as a blaze covering 20 acres just before 6 p.m. Sunday. It moved fast, rolling southeast from the Santiago and Silverado canyons through Hicks Canyon to the edge of Portola Parkway.

As of mid-afternoon Wednesday, the fire had grown to 19,200 acres, cost about $10 million in damage, destroyed nine homes, damaged eight homes, destroyed eight outbuildings and damaged 12 outbuildings.
https://www.ocregister.com/2007/10/25/close-call-round-up-of-irvine-fire-coverage/

OCFA communities that have been identified as being at high risk

? Silverado Canyon
? Baker Canyon
? Black Star Canyon
? Modjeska Canyon
? Trabuco Canyon
? Santiago Canyon
? Ortega Hwy (and vicinity)
? Lemon Heights/ Cowan Heights/ North Tustin areas
? Tustin Heights Unincorporated
? Emerald Bay
? Coastal Canyons in San Clemente
? Turtle Rock (Irvine)
? The Forest (Lake Forest)
? Pacific Island 1, 2 and 3 (top of Pacific Island Drive, Laguna Niguel)
https://www.ocfa.org/Uploads/Transparency/OCFA-AAR-Santiago Fire.pdf

I went to Portola Springs this afternoon to get a bearing on exactly what was going on. At Portola Springs 5A (KB Homes Elderberry), a woman and I tried to put out about 4 small smoldering fires along the embankment on the the yellow knobby walkway going up to the bridge. Fire was on the embankment between Elderberry and Portola Springs 5B (Irvine Pacific Hillside) and firefighters were in the Hillside backyards (houses still under construction) trying to put out the fire. After that, I drove up to Portola Springs 4B (Celeste and Talise) and there were fires on the north side embankment (fire had jumped to south side of the toll fwy) in both communities but no firefighters. In fact, at Talise, the brush adjacent to the toll fwy station building was in flames. So cross your fingers, Talise owners, that humming sound at night may yet vanish permanently!

My question: Why were the firefighters at PS5A/B but not PS4B?

The newer section of Irvine known as the ?Northern Sphere?, during the entitlement process and under the watchful eyes of OCFA, prescribed an intense fuel mod zone. Planted in this zone are fire retardant plants such as succulents, and non drying varieties. The homes should survive the inferno. Most fire ignitions occur on the roofs or at the eaves. Irvine homes are in good standing with concrete or clay tile roofs, where both are by far the most fire resistant. Stucco eaves fair better than wood rafter tails; however, thanks to the building code mandate, wood tails are heavy timber size, which takes longer to ignite. Unfortunately, the area considers the weakest fire barrier would be the vinyl windows? low resistance to heat. I hope all northern Irvine residents return to their home safely soon.

Looks like Mello Roos is protecting the Northern Sphere of Irvine... fire headed towards the non-MR areas of Orange County (in both directions).*

*Sorry... we need some levity during this hard time. I hope that no one's home is affected.

irvinehomeowner said:
Looks like Mello Roos is protecting the Northern Sphere of Irvine... fire headed towards the non-MR areas of Orange County (in both directions).*

*Sorry... we need some levity during this hard time. I hope that no one's home is affected.

I heard they're going to use Great Park perpetual "Mello Roos" for Portola Springs and Orchard Hills. So it's spare no cost to contain the fire, because the city is not worried about payment in full, even if it takes eternity.

Back