Windy and FIRE!!!

iacrenter said:
Some good news:
https://www.cityofirvine.org/news-media/news-article/mandatory-evacuations-lifted-portions-irvine

Mandatory evacuations set for the Silverado Fire have been lifted at this time for the following areas in Irvine:

Area 1 ? Everything south of Portola Parkway and west of the 133 Toll Road

All other evacuation orders remain in place, including:

All areas north of Portola Parkway
The Great Park area east of the 133 Toll Road and north of Great Park Boulevard.

Well, I guess my new roommates for the night are moving back out!

More good news:

Mandatory evacuations set for the Silverado Fire have been lifted at this time for the following areas in Irvine:

Area 2 at 5:30 p.m.: Everything east of the 133 Toll Road to Portola High School and everything north of Great Park Boulevard to Irvine Boulevard. This also includes the commercial area west of Bake Parkway and south of Irvine Boulevard to Toledo Way.

Area 3 opened to repopulation last night:

Area 3 at 8:39 p.m.: Everything south of Portola Parkway, east of the 133, and west of Axis. Irvine Boulevard will remain closed between Axis and Alton.

Good News Everyone.... ( I had to...) Most of Lake Forest and Baker Ranch now able to be "repopulated" - as per City of Lake Forest.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
Good News Everyone.... ( I had to...) Most of Lake Forest and Baker Ranch now able to be "repopulated" - as per City of Lake Forest.

My .02c

Same with the rest of Irvine (Orchard Hills and Portola Springs). Great work by our firefighters!

CogNeuroSci said:
I went to Portola Springs this afternoon to get a bearing on exactly what was going on. At Portola Springs 5A (KB Homes Elderberry), a woman and I tried to put out about 4 small smoldering fires along the embankment on the the yellow knobby walkway going up to the bridge. Fire was on the embankment between Elderberry and Portola Springs 5B (Irvine Pacific Hillside) and firefighters were in the Hillside backyards (houses still under construction) trying to put out the fire. After that, I drove up to Portola Springs 4B (Celeste and Talise) and there were fires on the north side embankment (fire had jumped to south side of the toll fwy) in both communities but no firefighters. In fact, at Talise, the brush adjacent to the toll fwy station building was in flames. So cross your fingers, Talise owners, that humming sound at night may yet vanish permanently!

My question: Why were the firefighters at PS5A/B but not PS4B?

Thank you, I live at 5B community.  By any chance you took pictures of the community while you were there?  How did you get up there with the roads closed?

bobbruin said:
CogNeuroSci said:
I went to Portola Springs this afternoon to get a bearing on exactly what was going on. At Portola Springs 5A (KB Homes Elderberry), a woman and I tried to put out about 4 small smoldering fires along the embankment on the the yellow knobby walkway going up to the bridge. Fire was on the embankment between Elderberry and Portola Springs 5B (Irvine Pacific Hillside) and firefighters were in the Hillside backyards (houses still under construction) trying to put out the fire. After that, I drove up to Portola Springs 4B (Celeste and Talise) and there were fires on the north side embankment (fire had jumped to south side of the toll fwy) in both communities but no firefighters. In fact, at Talise, the brush adjacent to the toll fwy station building was in flames. So cross your fingers, Talise owners, that humming sound at night may yet vanish permanently!

My question: Why were the firefighters at PS5A/B but not PS4B?

Thank you, I live at 5B community.  By any chance you took pictures of the community while you were there?  How did you get up there with the roads closed?
As a matter of fact, I have a ton of pics and many videos. I went up Ridge Valley and made a right turn at Cienega (entrance of Portola Springs) and came out through Long Grass and onto Portola Springs and made a left on Ceremony (Portola Springs 5A). No police cars anywhere except at the intersections on Irvine Blvd, but they were letting people turn north presumably to get stuff out of their homes.

My goal was to ultimately get to PS4B, where we bought a house. I parked at the west end of Elderberry on Chronology and then drove back up to Ceremony and parked by the knobby yellow pathway. Fires were on the embankment below IP Hillside and above Elderberry, in the nature preserve below the yellow pathway and Portola Springs Elementary, in the round hill between Celeste and Talise, in the brush to the left of the toll fwy building on the north side of Talise, in the ravine between Celeste and the Community Park, in the ravine on the side of Loma Ridge Elementary, on the north side of the toll fwy on/off ramps off of Portola Pkwy, and in the ravine on the right side of Portola Springs (where they'll build soon) and just south of the toll fwy.

When I saw the fire between Celeste and Talise from PS5A, I knew I had to get to PS4B. I drove up Portola Springs (as it became Whispering Hills) and made a left onto Portola Pkwy. At that point, to my surprise, there was only an ABC news van and some undercover cop cars roaming around sporadically. When I got to the Community Park, Celeste, and Talise, there were no other people besides me and an occasional police car.

Back