Windy and FIRE!!!

Movingup said:
Makes me pause consider buying a new house in OH.

Someone correct me if I'm thinking about this the wrong way but if an area burns up its fuel doesnt it decrease the chance of it burning again for a while? 

hamilton said:
Movingup said:

Someone correct me if I'm thinking about this the wrong way but if an area burns up its fuel doesnt it decrease the chance of it burning again for a while?

yeah, if history repeats it self, for another decade.

Just make sure you sell and move before then o_O /s horrible life advice.

Insensitive question - How did the Irvine housing market react to the last nearby fires?  Were there any temporary decline in prices?  (Currently in escrow with a house with a lot of newly discovered problems and this may just give me another reason consider backing out)

Innosint said:
Movingup said:

Now I went back and dug it up, didn't a small part of OH got burnt down back in 2007*?

I lived in Woodbury back in 2007 and 2008 when that fire happened. The definitely were areas north of Portola and west of sand canyon that burned. Not sure if that constituted ORchard hills or not. There was ash everywhere outside during that fire.

kenmasters said:
Insensitive question - How did the Irvine housing market react to the last nearby fires?  Were there any temporary decline in prices?  (Currently in escrow with a house with a lot of newly discovered problems and this may just give me another reason consider backing out)

It didn't really move the needle. One of my buyers who is on the waitlist at Cetara thinks it'll help them move up the buyer list as some people have second thoughts.

USCTrojanCPA said:
kenmasters said:

It didn't really move the needle. One of my buyers who is on the waitlist at Cetara thinks it'll help them move up the buyer list as some people have second thoughts.

You know what Martin...  as it stands even a global pandemic didn't really move the pricing, I'm not sure if anything will.

USCTrojanCPA said:
kenmasters said:

Why do you think people don't care? So, they are willing to gamble their houses don't get burnt to the ground?

Movingup said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
kenmasters said:

Why do you think people don't care? So, they are willing to gamble their houses don't get burnt to the ground?

Buyers don?t care. Unless the fire is burning in front of them, this will be a non issue come November. People will be back to talking about Covid, Trump, and the economy. Look at GP. Selling thousands of homes on toxic soil. Nothing to see, so it must be safe. Short term thinking is the rule.

Innosint said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
kenmasters said:

You know what Martin...  as it stands even a global pandemic didn't really move the pricing, I'm not sure if anything will.

Most people realize that this is a temporary thing that comes around once every 3-5 years and not many homes have burned in the past few fires in the 2000s thanks to the tremendous efforts of the firefighters. 

Movingup said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
kenmasters said:

Because people realize that these fires are temporary and very infrequent...similar to larger earthquakes. They are buying location, schools, and proximity to work and none of those things are changing even if a fire burns a home down (homes can be rebuilt from insurance proceeds). There haven't been many homes that have burned in Orange County with the last 3-4 fires that we've had in the 2000s.

We just left baker ranch and Alton going north towards BR and foothill ranch was being closed off to all traffic...Looks like we may not be able to go back right away even if we wanted to.

Back