Who is waiting for Orchard Hills?

Is Orchard Hills affecting your buying decision?

• Yes, I am waiting to buy in Orchard Hills

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Maybe, I want to see what they are priced at and then decide

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • No, I am buying in another new TIC build (ie Stonegate, Cypress Village, PS)

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • No, I am buying in a 5 Points new build (Pavilion Park)

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • No, I am buying resale near Orchard Hills because of the Halo Effect

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • No, I am buying resale somewhere else in Irvine (if the inventory gets better)

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Irvine is the lame... Baker Ranch rocks!

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 13.0%

• Total voters
Great park plans might include pedestrian bridge that connects to retail shoppin the future...although those are only proposed. Honestly though, I never walked to shops with my family.. Even when I was across from the marketplace. I'll walk to neighborhood park at most. Would be nice to walk to elementary. School though.

Goriot said:
Homie said:
I have never heard of anyone loving the high density communities.  Which flavor koolaid did you drink bud?

I am certainly loving the higher density.  I used to live in a house with 10,000+sqft lot. where all my neighbor had huge lots.  I had to drive all day to get to places (shopping, school, work, restaurants).

I rather have high density 1,000 homes within a mile radius where I can walk to school and shopping and drive 5 minutes to work, instead of living in a low density where 100 homes are within a 10 mile radius where I have to drive 15 minutes to school, drive 45 minutes to work and 30 minutes to shopping.

For example = 1 market can be supported by 1,000 homes.  If 1,000 homes are spread apart within 30 miles.  I am going to have to drive 30 minutes to get to my market.

If 1,000 homes density within 1 mile, I can walk.  I will rather do that.  If I want 2 acre lot, I will go live somewhere else.

I like Irvine because school (for my kid), work, restaurants, market, concert hall, parks, and freeways are all within my reach (15 minutes).  Only higher density can support this lifestyle and I am all for it.

that would work only if you never had to leave your little neighborhood for all activities of daily life. but southern california is set up such that you still have to drive everywhere for most things. living in a dense neighborhood in one of the new tic neighborhoods doesn't mean you can get away with not owning a car, like you could in nyc or boston.

bones said:
Pew pew!!

I was actually waiting for orchard hills. Sold my house in anticipation of it but then I got sucked in by the tasty chemicals and big lots at PP and haven't looked back. OH actually works better for us location wise since we commute inland but don't want to pay $100k+ more to save 5 mins on a commute.

What's interesting to me is: this first rollout of OH doesn't give the $1m-$1.5m buyer many options (really only strada and Capella). Much more options if u have $1.5m to $2m to spend. But at $1.5-$2m - I would look in a lot of different places in addition to OH. Esp if it's no view OH.

In barely see people walk from stonegate to woodbury town center. Maybe the apartment folks since they are closer to being across the street.

Five points wants to connect all of thei communities, shops, and other amenities.  However, I will probably still be driving 99 percent of the time to other locations.

So bones is arguing that walking in irvine is not ready for primetime and open sky is arguing that it it is. Interesting :)

I think OS preference is walk ability. Kudos to him.  Wish more families did that.  Outside of OpenSky... Just don't see many people actually doing the walking in Irvine to get to places like stores.  That being said, I do like how people at SG can walk their kids to school like that. It's a definite plus in my book.

C'mon guys. Let's not argue over something that isn't relevant when it comes to irvine housing. No one gives a shit if they can walk anywhere. People overpay for housing in irvine because of the schools.

Back