Who is waiting for Orchard Hills?

Is Orchard Hills affecting your buying decision?

• Yes, I am waiting to buy in Orchard Hills

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Maybe, I want to see what they are priced at and then decide

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • No, I am buying in another new TIC build (ie Stonegate, Cypress Village, PS)

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • No, I am buying in a 5 Points new build (Pavilion Park)

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • No, I am buying resale near Orchard Hills because of the Halo Effect

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • No, I am buying resale somewhere else in Irvine (if the inventory gets better)

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Irvine is the lame... Baker Ranch rocks!

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 13.0%

• Total voters
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
aquabliss said:
Capella is probably the best bang for your buck, small lots and all.  I'm in the same boat as Bones - we were waiting for OH, then sold pretty quick, and ended up buying in PP due to location, open space, and lot size. 

We were aiming for Strada plan 3 but glad we went with PP instead since those will probably be $1.1M+

is it fair to say that Pavillion Park is the best community to be sold in irvine since the normal size lots were last sold in woodbury? actually, i forgot about lambert ranch. LR and PP are the best communities since Woodbury?

If the qualifier is normal size lots then yes.  I still prefer SG over PP as a community but the lot sizes are definitely smaller.

referring to just a normal neighborhood, or what most people would consider a normal neighborhood. no motorcourts, 5 ft deep back yards, etc.

I guess that's a definition...40 years ago.  All the houses were SFRs...then SFRs with dupluxes, then SFRs, attached condos, and detached condos.  Woodbury also has motorcourts and small back yards.

ok, what 99% of the United States considers a normal neighborhood.  amazing how people try to rationalize the tiny ass lots with no driveways with your fucking neighbor 10 ft away to each direction.

@Goriot:

You are comparing extremes. Obviously you can't build a ton of 10k lots here in Irvine. But I think most people would rather see 10 6k lot SFRs than 20 3k lot SFRs with no driveway.

If you're going to pay $1m+ for a home, we aren't San Francisco yet, give us some room between neighbors.

Goriot said:
Homie said:
I have never heard of anyone loving the high density communities.  Which flavor koolaid did you drink bud?

I am certainly loving the higher density.  I used to live in a house with 10,000+sqft lot. where all my neighbor had huge lots.  I had to drive all day to get to places (shopping, school, work, restaurants).

I rather have high density 1,000 homes within a mile radius where I can walk to school and shopping and drive 5 minutes to work, instead of living in a low density where 100 homes are within a 10 mile radius where I have to drive 15 minutes to school, drive 45 minutes to work and 30 minutes to shopping.

For example = 1 market can be supported by 1,000 homes.  If 1,000 homes are spread apart within 30 miles.  I am going to have to drive 30 minutes to get to my market.

If 1,000 homes density within 1 mile, I can walk.  I will rather do that.  If I want 2 acre lot, I will go live somewhere else.

I like Irvine because school (for my kid), work, restaurants, market, concert hall, parks, and freeways are all within my reach (15 minutes).  Only higher density can support this lifestyle and I am all for it.

yeah and i would rather have a 6 inch penis.

irvinehomeowner said:
@Goriot:

You are comparing extremes. Obviously you can't build a ton of 10k lots here in Irvine. But I think most people would rather see 10 6k lot SFRs than 20 3k lot SFRs with no driveway.

If you're going to pay $1m+ for a home, we aren't San Francisco yet, give us some room between neighbors.

But we are.  Irvine prices are up there.  I like space from my neighbor but I don't necessary need a big yard. 

qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
aquabliss said:
Capella is probably the best bang for your buck, small lots and all.  I'm in the same boat as Bones - we were waiting for OH, then sold pretty quick, and ended up buying in PP due to location, open space, and lot size. 

We were aiming for Strada plan 3 but glad we went with PP instead since those will probably be $1.1M+

is it fair to say that Pavillion Park is the best community to be sold in irvine since the normal size lots were last sold in woodbury? actually, i forgot about lambert ranch. LR and PP are the best communities since Woodbury?

If the qualifier is normal size lots then yes.  I still prefer SG over PP as a community but the lot sizes are definitely smaller.

referring to just a normal neighborhood, or what most people would consider a normal neighborhood. no motorcourts, 5 ft deep back yards, etc.

I guess that's a definition...40 years ago.  All the houses were SFRs...then SFRs with dupluxes, then SFRs, attached condos, and detached condos.  Woodbury also has motorcourts and small back yards.

ok, what 99% of the United States considers a normal neighborhood.  amazing how people try to rationalize the tiny ass lots with no driveways with your fucking neighbor 10 ft away to each direction.

Again...Woodbury (which you cited) has mixed types of properties including motorcourts and attached condos.  That's probably not found in 99% of the neighborhoods either.

irvinehomeowner said:
@Goriot:

That's just an example.  If you compound that factor (3,000 sqft lot extra per resident) by thousands and thousands, you start losing your nearby amenities.  I have to start my marathon run to the markets, schools, parks, etc.

Irvinecommuter said:
But we are.  Irvine prices are up there.  I like space from my neighbor but I don't necessary need a big yard. 
Uhh... newsflash... big yard means more space from your neighbor.

And quite frankly, when people talk about bigger lots in regards to Irvine, they are talking about side-to-side distance from their neighor, they are talking about not having to petition the city to get 1 foot setbacks.

And Goriot is talking about 10k lots, most of the people buying in PP like the 6k-7k lots versus the 4k lots that TIC has.

Goriot said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@Goriot:

That's just an example.  If you compound that factor (3,000 sqft lot extra per resident) by thousands and thousands, you start losing your nearby amenities.  I have to start my marathon run to the markets, schools, parks, etc.
But that's more urban living than suburban living. If you want true walkability, Irvine isn't that... for now.

Maybe you're right, and Irvine is moving that way... I prefer the Irvine of the 60s-90s where I can't hear my neighbor's conversation inside my home.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:

And quite frankly, when people talk about bigger lots in regards to Irvine, they are talking about side-to-side distance from their neighor, they are talking about not having to petition the city to get 1 foot setbacks.

And Goriot is talking about 10k lots, most of the people buying in PP like the 6k-7k lots versus the 4k lots that TIC has.

But again...it's a different style of community.  Like I stated above, neighborhoods used to be just SFRs...then it became SFRs and Duplexes, then it became SFRS, detached condos, attached condos...now you add on motorcourts.

I get that there are a lot of people who likes yards and distance from their neighbors.  I would like that as well but I like the layout of SG because I am not far from parks/pools.    It may not look great while I walking to the park/pool but I get there a lot faster.

Pavilion Parks is more "walkable" so I think I would like it more if I'm just strolling but since I seldomly ever do that, it's not a big plus to me. 

We discussed the issue of curb appeal previously.

Here's my problem with this discussion, I recognize that people have different preferences (lot size being one of them).  But it doesn't flow both ways.  If I don't care about lot size or curb appeal, I'm seen as crazy or just covering for TIC. 

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:

But again...it's a different style of community.  Like I stated above, neighborhoods used to be just SFRs...then it became SFRs and Duplexes, then it became SFRS, detached condos, attached condos...now you add on motorcourts.

I get that there are a lot of people who likes yards and distance from their neighbors.  I would like that as well but I like the layout of SG because I am not far from parks/pools.    It may not look great while I walking to the park/pool but I get there a lot faster.

Pavilion Parks is more "walkable" so I think I would like it more if I'm just strolling but since I seldomly ever do that, it's not a big plus to me. 

Here's my problem with this discussion, I recognize that people have different preferences (lot size being one of them).  But it doesn't flow both ways.  If I don't care about lot size or curb appeal, I'm seen as crazy or just covering for TIC. 

The real reason is Land Value.  Land where the value is high have smaller lots, land where the value is low have larger lots.

Bottomline, I guess it is where TIC and other builders can make most money out of the lands.  Woodbury and Portola Springs was probably part their test market where they put in a combination different size lots and see the market preference and how much premium the market are willing to pay for a larger lot. 

I guess they found out that the market is not willing to pay that much premium for a bigger lot to offset the lost revenue from being able to being more house, thus the CV and SG community ends up mostly with small lots. 

GH said:
Bottomline, I guess it is where TIC and other builders can make most money out of the lands.  Woodbury and Portola Springs was probably part their test market where they put in a combination different size lots and see the market preference and how much premium the market are willing to pay for a larger lot. 

I guess they found out that the market is not willing to pay that much premium for a bigger lot to offset the lost revenue from being able to being more house, thus the CV and SG community ends up mostly with small lots.

SG was clearly designed to offer homes at a variety of price points from $400K to $1 milllion.  I don't think TIC anticipated the jump in home prices in their initial pricing but then just rode the wave.  I mean phase one of Saratoga had Plan 1 at $665K and Plan 2 somewhere around $700K....two years later, Plan 1 is near $800K. 

As I stated previously, SG demonstrate that people care about living in Irvine and things like floorplan and community plans are good selling points over lot size and even driveways. Even with PP opening up, Saratoga is still getting brisk business.  Sausalito is in a really bad position though.

OpenSky said:
Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:

What can you walk to from PP? Shopping? No. Schools? No. Parks? Just one. There's nothing walkable about PP. The whole "orange bike" thing is BS. It will be years before there's anything accessible from anything other than a car.

You can walk from Bone's house to Aquabliss's then to JMoneys and then to my nanny's.  You can also walk to Woodbury Town Center in about 989384839438943 minutes... or you can just drive there in 15 minutes.

Homie said:
OpenSky said:
Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:

What can you walk to from PP? Shopping? No. Schools? No. Parks? Just one. There's nothing walkable about PP. The whole "orange bike" thing is BS. It will be years before there's anything accessible from anything other than a car.

You can walk from Bone's house to Aquabliss's then to JMoneys and then to my nanny's.  You can also walk to Woodbury Town Center in about 989384839438943 minutes... or you can just drive there in 15 minutes.

The ONE exit to PP will be backed up from everyone trying to drive there.  Walking 989384839438943 minutes will be faster.

Back