Who bought the 2010 home?

C'mon Asian renters about to becoming a homeowner. Why don't you share about your cultural pressure why you can't stand renting anymore? Here are a few of my observations:

1. If you are married then your in laws will give you hint that you are not taking care of their daughter well by renting. They would use the passive aggressive way to communicate to you to get out of an apt. Asian elders are not into being polite and worrying about hurting your feeling. If they are nice they will give you the better hints like " I have some money set aside for your down payment (since you don't have much money saved and we want to bail our daughter out from the miseries of living in a tiny apartment). This really made you feel like a loser and especially if you are non asian.

2. When there is a family function no one would suggests to have it at your apartment. It made you feel bad when the gatherings take place at other family members house and you feel left out.

3. Your friends and families have BBQ's and baby showers at their home. You wanted to host and help out but you don't have a place big enough, with no yard, and the club house is taken and too impersonal.

4. Your asian relatives give the that silent look that you are not successful because you don't own a house.

5. The Joy Luck Club comparison pressure among auntie and uncle relatives boasting about how well off your cousins are by having a house and they turned and look at you. "When are you going to buy a house?"

6. If you have a child then the relative pressure is unrelenting.

7. You can't wait to shock them that you bought in the most Asian respected city to have that guilty pleasure of "sweet revenge".

[quote author="graceomalley"]C'mon Asian renters about to becoming a homeowner. Why don't you share about your cultural pressure why you can't stand renting anymore? Here are a few of my observations:

1. If you are married then your in laws will give you hint that you are not taking care of their daughter well by renting. They would use the passive aggressive way to communicate to you to get out of an apt. Asian elders are not into being polite and worrying about hurting your feeling. If they are nice they will give you the better hints like " I have some money set aside for your down payment (since you don't have much money saved and we want to bail our daughter out from the miseries of living in a tiny apartment). This really made you feel like a loser and especially if you are non asian.

2. When there is a family function no one would suggests to have it at your apartment. It made you feel bad when the gatherings take place at other family members house and you feel left out.

3. Your friends and families have BBQ's and baby showers at their home. You wanted to host and help out but you don't have a place big enough, with no yard, and the club house is taken and too impersonal.

4. Your asian relatives give the that silent look that you are not successful because you don't own a house.

5. The Joy Luck Club comparison pressure among auntie and uncle relatives boasting about how well off your cousins are by having a house and they turned and look at you. "When are you going to buy a house?"

6. If you have a child then the relative pressure is unrelenting.

7. You can't wait to shock them that you bought in the most Asian respected city to have that guilty pleasure of "sweet revenge".

[/quote]

Man BKshopr!, you are so REAL! That's what we all like about you. <!-- s:cool: -->:cool:<!-- s:cool: --> Let's keep it REAL!!! Triple exalted!

[quote author="graceomalley"]

[/quote]

We definitely get this pressure --- but the irony is the pressure is to get OUT of Irvine so we can buy a nice house:

"Why you two think you are so fancy to live down there? You are stupid to be so fancy. You are just paying someone else's mortgage. Just buy your own house somewhere, it does not matter where".

:mad:

[quote author="ck"]
[quote author="graceomalley"]

[/quote]

We definitely get this pressure --- but the irony is the pressure is to get OUT of Irvine so we can buy a nice house:

"Why you two think you are so fancy to live down there? You are stupid to be so fancy. You are just paying someone else's mortgage. Just buy your own house somewhere, it does not matter where".

:mad:[/quote]

lol...lol... hahahaha.... <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Once you know the weak spots of the buyers then developer can emphasize design and model home decorations to appeal to their needs (In this case the Asian gathering space for the "sweet revenge" and the BBQ grille event that the buyers long for.) but at the same time the buyers would be over whelmed with emotion and completely blindsided from seeing other things being stripped from the house such as the exterior, side yard, rear yard and front door approach.

This is what developers called a magic trick or illusion. While the buyers are distracted by the beautiful assistants and deliberate inefficient unneccessary hand movements the bait and switch took place then the act is completed. This trick made the land and front door appeal disappeared.

At the end of the magic show the buyers clapped their hands with standing ovation congratulating the magician for a job well done!

Congrats to everyone who purchased a new home! I hope more members share their experiences and aren't pushed away by BK/grace's posts. I want to hear more from the people who will live there especially since I may be a future neighbor <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

As a long time lurker on the IHB forums and this one, I do truly appreciate BK and everyone "keeping it real." But while I may be a laid back person, many others are much more sensitive. There are plenty of threads that discuss the Asian psyche and why the new homes are a bad value... I think it would be nice to have a thread once in a while that's more positive.

Thanks guys for the exalts.

like IHO said MSG tastes good but is bad for you.

It is better to learn the ugliness of truth than the lies of compliments.

[quote author="superwrat"]Congrats to everyone who purchased a new home! I hope more members share their experiences and aren't pushed away by BK/grace's posts. I want to hear more from the people who will live there especially since I may be a future neighbor <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

As a long time lurker on the IHB forums and this one, I do truly appreciate BK and everyone "keeping it real." But while I may be a laid back person, many others are much more sensitive. There are plenty of threads that discuss the Asian psyche and why the new homes are a bad value... I think it would be nice to have a thread once in a while that's more positive.[/quote]

Trust me no one is leaving because of my posts. Just look at the trip counter on threads with my posts or the activity it is generating. Check the stats!

You are all consumers here. Consumers on a website are for one major motive only. Finding a best product by spending the least money. All are here to gain something at the end. Some may contribute but mostly are here to benefit.

The ones who were here without motive had already left and you are not that crowd and neither are your peers.

Let's say what you are saying it's true, so what? What is the issue with the culture or the pressure of the culture? Every culture is different. What is the issue with a developer marketing to that culture? Isn't that's what business and capitalism is all about? I am hearing a lot of problems with pricing, with FCBs, with how should a home be priced? etc... so the culture is an issue now? Maybe I am just such a FOB that I am not getting your point. I have enjoyed a lot of your analysis and opinions. I still want to. It's just now I am really not understanding what you are trying to get to. In your previous post, you said, we are "using" renting or living with relative as reasons. Now you are doing the work of trying to find out what the real underlying reason by bringing up culture? You are such a subject matter expert, you can't see anything beyond the technical points such as emotions? I will stop now, I think I am not making sense already.

For those of you with positive stories about your buying experience, please continue to post... and don't be discouraged.

We all have our reasons to buy and not to buy and I am interested in hearing all of them... and while I may not agree at times... I learn from it and appreciate the discussion.

GraceBK: You may want to start your own thread about why certain cultures do what they do as that would probably be an awesome read.

Emotion is too powerful. It drives people to commit and satisfy the immediate craving suspending the reality of logic. The negatives are merely called "trade-offs"

Buying a home is completely driven by emotion. When people are over taken by it they ceased to analyze the logistics.

When teenagers have sex and became pregnant their moment was over taken by emotion and they ceased to analyze the consequences. The kids think that by working at McDonalds raising a family they eventually get promoted to the CEO position of this Fortune 500 company. Their parents were never right and have evil wishes toward their happiness.

When you rushed to buy a new home based on emotion and being sold by the sexy model homes have you really considered what a stripped production home really look like? For those who have owned homes before please share your personal experience. I feel like I am the teenagers' parent.

Grace, not that I disagree with what you are saying cause I have been completely underwhelmed by the New Homes Collection but I have a question.

What is the last model/floorplan that you actually liked in Irvine? Anything in the 2000's, 90's? Just wondering what is the last one you actually liked from the start. Preferably ones more within the average incomes, so like under a million at least.

I'm guessing maybe something in Northwood Pointe, but I could be wrong.

Emotion, I'm sure, played a role in every buyer's purchase. When you find the right home, don't you fall in LOVE with the home, the floorplan, etc.? Every home is going to have trade-offs, some that you can live with and accept, and others that you can't stand, so you don't buy the home. I am pretty sure you have some things that you yourself don't like about your home. If not, then congratulations, you have the perfect dream home! But that chance is very small, and not many people have the luxury of having a dream home.

[quote author="graceomalley"]Emotion is too powerful. It drives people to commit and satisfy the immediate craving suspending the reality of logic. The negatives are merely called "trade-offs"

Buying a home is completely driven by emotion. When people are over taken by it they ceased to analyze the logistics.

When teenagers have sex and became pregnant their moment was over taken by emotion and they ceased to analyze the consequences. The kids think that by working at McDonalds raising a family they eventually get promoted to the CEO position of this Fortune 500 company. Their parents were never right and have evil wishes toward their happiness.

When you rushed to buy a new home based on emotion and being sold by the sexy model homes have you really considered what a stripped production home really look like? For those who have owned homes before please share your personal experience. I feel like I am the teenagers' parent.[/quote]

Believe me, I don't disagree with you at all. As long as you are human, you can't simply put it aside. You probably don't do it with houses because you are such a subject matter expert, but can you honestly say you are putting emotion aside on all purchases you made or you will make? As bad as it may sounds, you cannot simply discredit emotion as a valid reason. It may not be the right (what's right or wrong is a whole other issue) reason, but it's still a reason.

Piggie back to what 25inirvine is saying, IHO and mikeirvine had brought up. The world is changing, and the life style is changing. The new design may be all about maximizing profit for TIC, it does fit a certain life style. Who knows, maybe 30 years from now, we will all be in high rises. By that time, a motorcourt would be a premium. This is only a thought, not to rationalize my purchase for future value.

To illustrate the positive side of a motorcourt home:

1. Most owners will drive into their garage and enter the home, so they won't notice the lack of architecturally pleasing frontage.

2. While you are inside your house, you tend not to think about what your house looks like from the front of it.

3. In today's non-socializing society, maybe having these front doors closer to each other will help neighbors become more friendly with each other. Without the barrier of a sidewalk/lawn/parked car... you may say "Good Morning" or "Good Evening" more often. I actually think many of these motorcourts will become social areas (I think CK posted a picture of something like that).

4. Lower water bills since you don't have to hydrate a front lawn.

5. If you live across from me, your house will have that view lot premium.

As a product, I don't think motorcourt homes are that bad, especially in their execution where it's only 4 or 6-packs and you have a full driveway. It's much better to me than the alley style homes. When I was in both Santa Cruz and Monterey, I didn't feel like I was in a detached condo... and I guess that's kudos to whoever designed the interiors.

[quote author="25inIrvine"]Grace, not that I disagree with what you are saying cause I have been completely underwhelmed by the New Homes Collection but I have a question.

What is the last model/floorplan that you actually liked in Irvine? Anything in the 2000's, 90's? Just wondering what is the last one you actually liked from the start. Preferably ones more within the average incomes, so like under a million at least.

I'm guessing maybe something in Northwood Pointe, but I could be wrong.[/quote]

Campagnelli and Camelia, were some 5 yr+ projects under $1 mil project. All have driveways and 20' deep rear yards. The Northwood Pointe projects are much older so I won't name them.

fe9000....I think you are seeing that all BK is trying to demonstrate is how TIC set the trap, and for a variety of reasons buyers are walking right into it. And the buyers are saying "enough already, BK --- we know we walked right into the trap, but the emotional satisfaction of owning a new home makes it an acceptable trade off". And that's ok. Everyone has to do what they feel is best for them.

But I do appreciate what BK is saying. My opinion is that TIC really does NOT hold pricing power over the public --- WE hold that power. We the public can make the choice to say "I am not going to pay that for that." And if enough of the public demanded it, TIC would have to provide an acceptable product for the money. Look at what happened to GM. To Chrysler. Were those acceptable products they were putting out? Heck, no. And enough people said we are not buying that, there are alternatives. And where did it get them? Well, a gov't bailout...but that's another conversation.

But there is clearly a lot of emotion drving the Irvine market, and BK is articulating the wild success TIC is having and will continue to have because they brilliantly know their market. And like IHO said --- it is inevitable to continue as long as enough consumers do not demand more for their money.

So we each can decide what is best to do based on those market circumstances. I wish everyone the best with their new homes, just like I'm sure you wish me the best in opting out. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]To illustrate the positive side of a motorcourt home:

1. Most owners will drive into their garage and enter the home, so they won't notice the lack of architecturally pleasing frontage.

2. While you are inside your house, you tend not to think about what your house looks like from the front of it.

3. In today's non-socializing society, maybe having these front doors closer to each other will help neighbors become more friendly with each other. Without the barrier of a sidewalk/lawn/parked car... you may say "Good Morning" or "Good Evening" more often. I actually think many of these motorcourts will become social areas (I think CK posted a picture of something like that).

4. Lower water bills since you don't have to hydrate a front lawn.

5. If you live across from me, your house will have that view lot premium.

As a product, I don't think motorcourt homes are that bad, especially in their execution where it's only 4 or 6-packs and you have a full driveway. It's much better to me than the alley style homes. When I was in both Santa Cruz and Monterey, I didn't feel like I was in a detached condo... and I guess that's kudos to whoever designed the interiors.[/quote]

IHO,

That is very funny. I like #3 especially. For apt dwellers the doors are side by side at 15" apart and how many renters really socialize with their next door neighbors?

Back