Where to live in Irvine?

We've been renting in the South Bay, this is where I grew up.  Long Beach is still totally possible; but if you think buying Irvine is a pain; you haven't seen anything yet, just ask MK.  Places there are really hit and miss and if it is within our area, the house is usually small, or the lots tiny or in bad condition.  They do have good bones, but renovating it to a move-in condition would be too much.  Forget renting in LB; Torrance is more kid friendly.  Irvine is of course more turn-key; but if the, white dad with his high school son is any clue, we are only open to a very specific neighborhood of Irvine.  Foothill ranch is another topic, where the wife would have to be on wine to bring up.

Irvine is not my choice, but it is more the wive's and the kid.  Elementary and middle school are on-par or better than any of the Irvine but I do have to relent that the high school isn't the best.  The wife wants to go back to work; and there might be a position opening up with IUSD, she is a school counselor and has made the most inroads in Irvine.  It take years of "interning" to be qualify for a true full time position.  Our church is still in Irvine, and we do have a lot of friends here.  I've been missing a lof men's activities because we are just so far away.

The way the wife and I look at it; I will always push more for LB and she for Irvine; and either city would be a win; & the we will be happy or make the most of either city.  If we do end up in Irvine, you guys just have to promise us that we won't do the whole Irvine isolation & busyness deal.  It is sooo easy to be by yourself and hide that I can get really weird very quickly.  My co-worker who lives in Ontario tells me it takes him an hour from the time he parks his car to getting to the front door, because of all the activities going on on their street, I guess that is just more of what I want.

Trace, I forget where we went wrong, but I bet your hubby and I have a lot in common, and our sons might even be friends.  I'm not over spiritualizing the decision but loving people in LB is easy; it takes a lot more work to think of something to say to an Asian immigrant or to put on (or project) the suit of pretentiousness, education  and status (I will explain more about this).  I can do it, but I'm not entirely myself, and it does expend more energy.

I guess I perfer to be with these people...

ahia2008picnic002.jpg

Sublime-Band-Name-Is-Now-Illegal-According-To-Judge.jpg

than, these...

stock-photo-a-group-of-young-asian-businessmen-and-women-on-white-background-focus-is-on-middle-person-2058246.jpg

UCI-Class.jpg

oh, BTW... Newsong has a heart for Santa Ana, and is looking to buy the Santora building...
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/community-351099-santa-santora.html

irvinehomeshopper said:
What cities would have it all ?

Good schools, low crime, legacy properties, friendly neighbors, enduring value, coastal climate, porches, and no 2 homes alike.

I would suggest newport heights or lower costa mesa, downtown HB, and parts of laguna.

roundcorners said:
Trace, I forget where we went wrong, but I bet your hubby and I have a lot in common, and our sons might even be friends.  I'm not over spiritualizing the decision but loving people in LB is easy; it takes a lot more work to think of something to say to an Asian immigrant or to put on (or project) the suit of pretentiousness, education  and status (I will explain more about this).  I can do it, but I'm not entirely myself, and it does expend more energy.

I guess I perfer to be with these people...

ahia2008picnic002.jpg

Sublime-Band-Name-Is-Now-Illegal-According-To-Judge.jpg

than, these...

stock-photo-a-group-of-young-asian-businessmen-and-women-on-white-background-focus-is-on-middle-person-2058246.jpg

UCI-Class.jpg

oh, BTW... Newsong has a heart for Santa Ana, and is looking to buy the Santora building...
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/community-351099-santa-santora.html

You used to seem like such a lost soul...it made me want to give you a hug. We were supposed to go on a double date with the kids, remember? Haha. But then it seemed like you took all your anger, frustration, pain from your past (especially with respect to Asians), etc, and turned it towards Irvine and the people who live in it. Irvine has come to represent everything you hate, and "Long Beach" (in quotes, because I don't think it's really about the city of LB per se, but about the ideological opposite of Irvine) has come to represent all that is friendly and good. I think perhaps you've been overly influenced by people on this forum who express strong negative feelings about Irvine and have allowed their prejudices to become your own. It's like you've lost your own voice.

Also--I am turned off by proselytizing in any form.

I do hope you find a place where you can be happy, but if you end up in Irvine, I hope you won't rush to judgment about your neighbors. I really don't think most people in Irvine are really that different than people anywhere else.

Hi there, I thought I'd contribute in my first post on this forum. I've lived/bought houses in five different neighborhoods in last ten plus years in irvine. I know, I'm crazy for moving so much but because of all this moving, it's given me a great sense of how the different neighborhoods are.

These neighborhoods included Turtle Rock, Westpark, Quail Hill, Northwood and Woodbury (twice!). Of all the neighborhoods I lived in, Woodbury is by far the most "neighborly" where you really know all your neighbors, have get togethers and bbqs, and kids ride their bikes to each others houses, etc. This isn't just unique to my street. Like I said I've bought in Woodbury twice already, once in 2005 when the neighborhood just started and recently since 2010...we were all very close with our neighbors in both instances. Ironically, we sold our first place in Woodbury because there were too many kids on the block and we moved to the quieter Quail Hill. What a difference! We lived there for two years and barely knew our neighbors (although it could have been due to us living on a steep hill).  We realized we craved activity and found ourselves buying another house in Woodbury now that we have two young boys. Our current house in woodbury is a little over your price range since most are in the low-to-mid million in this section of Woodbury but you can still achieve the same feeling at a  lower price point - I would recommend finding a culd-de-sac location.  Good luck!

Well, since the thread has been revived, I guess I'll have to post again like some kind of forum-addict!

RC, did you get my PM?? Where are you? HOW are you? I'm not your wife - you can't just tune me out when I'm talking to you. LOL!!  :D

The only thing I care about in this thread is RC's well-being. When people are upset, they say all kinds of things... things they mean and things they don't. I've heard it all before, so anyone can say anything and it doesn't faze me in the least bit.

The thing that has me concerned is the change in mood. What happened to the happy-go-lucky guy I met online some 4 years ago? RC, you've sounded so unhappy the last couple years. I have been wondering, long before this thread, what's happened. What's really bothering you? I miss that old guy. Where'd he go?? We can drop it if you want, but I sense there is more to it than just what you're telling us here.

Come back and let me know you're doing alright!

Grayston said:
Hi there, I thought I'd contribute in my first post on this forum. I've lived/bought houses in five different neighborhoods in last ten plus years in irvine. I know, I'm crazy for moving so much but because of all this moving, it's given me a great sense of how the different neighborhoods are.

These neighborhoods included Turtle Rock, Westpark, Quail Hill, Northwood and Woodbury (twice!). Of all the neighborhoods I lived in, Woodbury is by far the most "neighborly" where you really know all your neighbors, have get togethers and bbqs, and kids ride their bikes to each others houses, etc. This isn't just unique to my street. Like I said I've bought in Woodbury twice already, once in 2005 when the neighborhood just started and recently since 2010...we were all very close with our neighbors in both instances. Ironically, we sold our first place in Woodbury because there were too many kids on the block and we moved to the quieter Quail Hill. What a difference! We lived there for two years and barely knew our neighbors (although it could have been due to us living on a steep hill).  We realized we craved activity and found ourselves buying another house in Woodbury now that we have two young boys. Our current house in woodbury is a little over your price range since most are in the low-to-mid million in this section of Woodbury but you can still achieve the same feeling at a  lower price point - I would recommend finding a culd-de-sac location.  Good luck!

grayston - really appreciate your post.  one concern is that woodbury seems to have lots of sales so feels like people keep coming and going and arent really building roots there.  see attached image of sales in last year in woodbury....whats your take on that?  we looked at houses on stowe and it seems like everyone wants to leave that street in last year...

also, did you see the neighborly aspects across ethnicities?  and if you dont mind me asking, whats your race?  we like woodbury and its on our list of top 3...concern is that its a bit of a transient neighborhood and becoming 1 major race...

Attachments

• wb 1 year sales.png
    wb 1 year sales.png
    506.6 KB · Views: 237
Grayston said:

which part of turtle rock were you in and what are your thoughts on it? also like to hear your view on old vs new houses. thanks

rkp said:
Grayston said:

grayston - really appreciate your post.  one concern is that woodbury seems to have lots of sales so feels like people keep coming and going and arent really building roots there.  see attached image of sales in last year in woodbury....whats your take on that?  we looked at houses on stowe and it seems like everyone wants to leave that street in last year...

also, did you see the neighborly aspects across ethnicities?  and if you dont mind me asking, whats your race?  we like woodbury and its on our list of top 3...concern is that its a bit of a transient neighborhood and becoming 1 major race...

No problem! I would agree that there's a lot of turnover in Woodbury but funny enough on my old street is still all the same homeowners and my current street probably 60% are the original owners that bought from the builder. Yes, we're friendly across races. My old street consisted of white, Asian and African American and we all hung out. My current street is white, Asian, and Indian. I will say there's two families that are Asian but not born in America and no one knows them so unfortunately they don't get invited anymore to the BBQs and happy hours.  One thing I will say with both my streets are that they both had two households who were the primary families who organized all the get togethers. For instance my next door neighbor just moved in two months ago and already has held a neighborhood party within two weeks of moving in, encourages all the families to get their kids out on the street on the weekends and is having another neighborhood party next week. So even of you are the new person on the block, you can be the one that gets the block together.

ninja88 said:
Grayston said:

which part of turtle rock were you in and what are your thoughts on it? also like to hear your view on old vs new houses. thanks

I lived a couple streets over from Bonita Canyon elementary. It was a beautiful neighborhood and great walking around the weekend but at that time I was in my twenties and we were wayyyy younger than anyone there.  I think it's a fabulous place if you have kids from 7 yrs through teenagers. Alas I'm a die hard new home person only cause I like everything new.  While houses in turtle rock have good potential in remodeling, no matter what we did to our place in westpark, it just felt 80s.

The California Court Company said:
For up to 1 million dollar budget and SFR, in Irvine (and IUSD), this is my recommendation, in order:
New/Newer:
1. Northwood Pointe
2. Cortona at Laguna Altura
3. Maricopa at Stonegate
4. The Field at Lambert Ranch (if you don't mind the Landfill, cell tower and toll roads)
5. Northwood II
6. Northpark (TUSD though)
7. Woodbury (if you don't mind the worst schools in IUSD and live with section 8 housing residents)

Old:
1. Turtle Rock, upper fixer
2. West Park I that is zoned to University HS but not too close to 405
3. Woodbridge (for the fake lakes)

Outside of Irvine, I will look into Tustin Ranch. I did not include Quail Hill or Turtle Ridge because decent SFR under 1 mill are hard to find in those areas.

In general, SFRs that are in good location and updated, zoned to University HS or Northwood HS, are in high demand in Irvine.

Avoid these areas at all cost
1. El Camino Real
2. Walnut
3. Deer Field
4. College Park

reviing old thread- is El camino real thaaaaat bad.

for current residents - how are you liking/hating it? i know its older but no meloroos or hoa seems like a huge plus to me.

Aside from lacking the normal irvine curb appeal - is there a compromise in regards to safety/crime?

incrediblehau said:

for current residents - how are you liking/hating it? i know its older but no meloroos or hoa seems like a huge plus to me.

Aside from lacking the normal irvine curb appeal - is there a compromise in regards to safety/crime?

4 very busy roads that square it off with Culver, Jeffery, Irvine Ctr Dr, and Walnut, then you have the train tracks that run through the middle of it.  For me the noise pollution from the roads or train tracks is a no go.  That and the curb appeal isn't great.  I only know one family that lives there, and they don't mind it, said their neighbors are great. 

incrediblehau said:
For up to 1 million dollar budget and SFR, in Irvine (and IUSD), this is my recommendation, in order:
New/Newer:
1. Northwood Pointe
3. Maricopa at Stonegate
4. The Field at Lambert Ranch (if you don't mind the Landfill, cell tower and toll roads)
5. Northwood II
7. Woodbury (if you don't mind the worst schools in IUSD and live with section 8 housing residents)

Old:

Outside of Irvine, I will look into Tustin Ranch. I did not include Quail Hill or Turtle Ridge because decent SFR under 1 mill are hard to find in those areas.

In general, SFRs that are in good location and updated, zoned to University HS or Northwood HS, are in high demand in Irvine.

1. El Camino Real
2. Walnut
3. Deer Field
4. College Park

The El Camino and Walnut homes are seeing a renaissance in the post covid world as buyers are looking for single-family homes with above average sized lots.  I've made offers on several homes that I've been outbid on this year as there were 10-15 offers on each home.  The no Mello Roos and no/low HOA is another big driver for the buyers that are bidding on the homes there.

incrediblehau said:
New/Newer:
1. Northwood Pointe
3. Maricopa at Stonegate
5. Northwood II

Old:

1. El Camino Real
2. Walnut
3. Deer Field
4. College Park

When it comes to El Camino, it's hit or miss. I don't care for the Willows or El Camino Glen all that much. I like Greentree, The Ranch, and Deerfield. I have a friend who's lived in The Ranch for nearly 30 years and loves it. There are some nice lots in there, and the neighbors are generally very nice. It's one of those communities where some residents have lived there since the community was brand new and look out for one another. It's very quiet and convenient to freeways and major streets.

Safety and crime is not heightened in El Camino vs anywhere else. There is crime all over Irvine, it's just not widely broadcasted. Download the NextDoor app and you will see.

USCTrojanCPA said:
incrediblehau said:
New/Newer:
1. Northwood Pointe
3. Maricopa at Stonegate
5. Northwood II

Old:

1. El Camino Real
2. Walnut
3. Deer Field
4. College Park

The El Camino and Walnut homes are seeing a renaissance in the post covid world as buyers are looking for single-family homes with above average sized lots.  I've made offers on several homes that I've been outbid on this year as there were 10-15 offers on each home.  The no Mello Roos and no/low HOA is another big driver for the buyers that are bidding on the homes there.

No kidding... looked at a place in El Camino and the person showing me the place (doing a favor for a relative who couldn't make it) said there were 25 offers on the home. Coincidently, the listing agent was the co-worker of the person who took me to the place.

When you realize what you have in the Ranch area it is awesome. Great location! No hoa or mello roos. Nice large streets and lots. You can remodel or build what you want. It is a wonderful spot. This site tends to push only the new stuff but I think that is a mistake. Older neighborhoods are a great option. I love Woodbridge and the Ranch but for different reasons.

irvineband said:
When you realize what you have in the Ranch area it is awesome. Great location! No hoa or mello roos. Nice large streets and lots. You can remodel or build what you want. It is a wonderful spot. This site tends to push only the new stuff but I think that is a mistake. Older neighborhoods are a great option. I love Woodbridge and the Ranch but for different reasons.

Yeah, I'm a fan of The Ranch. It has nice paseos that go through the community and is very quiet. Sure, there are some eyesores or homes that aren't as well-kept in the neighborhood, but that's almost a non-issue. It's one of the neighborhoods where your neighbors look out for you and actually talk to you. Great place to be if you're looking for a sense of community.

We are going to be in el Camino glen. Definitely know what you mean by ?eye sores?

I wanted a community with zero hoa but that?s the price you pay by not paying...

Back