Where to live in Irvine?

Baby Irvine said:
Today is one of those days I with I was living in Irvine... Damn! it is hot here in Johns Creek!..... This weather is not a healthy environment for pandas.  :mad:

At least you have sun. Gloomy & drizzling here for the last couple days.

There are 3 Northwoods
1. Northwood Pointe
Gated, built around late 90 early 00's, bordered by Yale, Culver, Portola and Hicks Canyon Hiking Trail

2. Northwood II
Gated, also relatively new, bordered by Trabuco, Bryant and Jefferey

3. Old Northwood

1 and 2 are good as they are master planned; 3 not so hot

IrvineNewby said:
Quail Hill and Northwood are currently the front runners for us.

The Motor Court Company said:
For up to 1 million dollar budget and SFR, in Irvine (and IUSD), this is my recommendation, in order:
New/Newer:
1. Northwood Pointe
2. Cortona at Laguna Altura
3. Maricopa at Stonegate
4. The Field at Lambert Ranch (if you don't mind the Landfill, cell tower and toll roads)
5. Northwood II
6. Northpark (TUSD though)
7. Woodbury (if you don't mind the worst schools in IUSD and live with section 8 housing residents)

Cortona/Laguna Altura is just next to Quail Hill.

We were checking out some homes on Saturday; first Long Beach then Irvine; we stopped by LB first.  We came up to the first house and the neighbor had their Odyssey parked on the curb, three blond little sisters were out playing in the van; running back and forth between the front yard, living room and street.  They were very welcoming and welcomed us into their home to check out their remodeling.

At the end of the conversation, after about 25 minutes; we were already joking about setting up their youngest daughter and the kid who were about the same age.  We were finally able to check out the house; afterwards, waking in the opposite direction; an older gentlemen came out of his house, as we walked by; started waving to us, we waved back, he said, something, and we stopped.  He confused us for another couple down the street, but invited us in anyways; we took a tour of his house, and another 30 mins later, we got the full scoop of his house, life and people living there.  We like to say that this is pretty spectacular, but frankly these things happen ALL the time in Long Beach.

We finished up and went to Irvine, saw a house there, couldn't get in; and the streets were empty, lonely and desolate as usual.  At best there was a garage open, and a white father & high school son were washing their car.

We had lunch and meet up with our broker friend.  It isn't difficult to see what we liked, but it is difficult to follow God.  It isn't difficult to live very comfortable and grounded in LB; but it is very difficult to love those not like you.  The wife and I both know what we want, but our house isn't going to be ours, it is our ministry.  We can easily live in LB and never leave our comfort zone, but we probably never grow and be stretched.  I'm not saying Irvine needs or want the RC family, but Irvine does need a family that will open up their house and show them a bit of Long Beach.  Every neighborhood does, and with that, we signed a back-up offer for Irvine and you can make out some tear drops on the paperwork.

RC - congrats on your back up offer, dont meant to be rude but your actions on trying to come back to irvine seem a little hypocritical. what is potentially bringing you back? Sounds like you are trying to rationalize that irvine needs you to spread the word and make it a better place.

In every family relationship the decision is balanced between wife and husband. Wife selects the location husband evaluates the homes long term potential.

Qwerty,
Don't be so hard on RC, IHS is right on this one. There is nothing wrong that the wife wants the best school environment for her children. Just unfortunate that you have to hand over your arm and leg to put your kids through a decent school in the OC.

RC: What kind of place is it?... #of bedrooms, etc.

P.S. Come to Foothill Ranch. You guys would love it here!

What cities would have it all ?

Good schools, low crime, legacy properties, friendly neighbors, enduring value, coastal climate, porches, and no 2 homes alike.

My city has it all, except for #6 of course.

1. Good schools - YES  :)
2. low crime - YES :)
3. legacy properties - YES :)
4. friendly neighbors - YES :)
5. enduring value - YES :)
6. coastal climate - NO... I wish  :'(
7. porches - YES :)
8. no 2 homes alike. - YES :)

irvinehomeshopper said:

Good schools, low crime, legacy properties, friendly neighbors, enduring value, coastal climate, porches, and no 2 homes alike.

If RC had a lower aesthetic standard his decision would have been a slum dunk. Reading his post sounds like he is similar to Midwest newby. Porches and friendly neighbors siping wine sitting on adirondacks and children camping in backyard playing with flashlights and crickets.
Baby Irvine said:
Qwerty,
Don't be so hard on RC, IHS is right on this one. There is nothing wrong that the wife wants the best school environment for her children. Just unfortunate that you have to hand over your arm and leg to put your kids through a decent school in the OC.

irvinehomeshopper said:

What city would come closest to this? I can't think of any in OC. Best bet might be East Coast (coastal South Carolina, perhaps) for everything except a mild climate.

qwerty said:
RC - congrats on your back up offer, dont meant to be rude but your actions on trying to come back to irvine seem a little hypocritical. what is potentially bringing you back? Sounds like you are trying to rationalize that irvine needs you to spread the word and make it a better place.

Yes.

Is it the schools, or is it because you think you can help Irvinites "see the light," so to speak?

If you're literally crying on your house offer documents, just don't do it. Don't be a martyr. Stay in LB if that's where you want to be. I promise you we unfriendly heathens in Irvine will be just fine without you.

I don't know how good the schools are in South Carolina, I have to say that the beaches and natural beauty of South Carolina is outstanding. 

Allow me to use the power of TIC marketing to create a desirable spin on Johns Creek. The "no" on coastal climate is twisted by " yes" to coastal state.

Baby Irvine said:

irvinehomeshopper said:

Palos Verdes Estates, Hollywood Riviera and Rolling Hills.

traceimage said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

What city would come closest to this? I can't think of any in OC. Best bet might be East Coast (coastal South Carolina, perhaps) for everything except a mild climate.

Materialistic, fashionable and unfriendly lost souls need help.

traceimage said:
qwerty said:

Yes.

Is it the schools, or is it because you think you can help Irvinites "see the light," so to speak?

If you're literally crying on your house offer documents, just don't do it. Don't be a martyr. Stay in LB if that's where you want to be. I promise you we unfriendly heathens in Irvine will be just fine without you.

RC, if I recall, the move to L.B. was due to your pastor and some other church members moving out that way, I think. What sparked the desire to change direction? I would agree with the previous assessment by Trace but for a slightly different reason from a spiritual p.o.v: If you're blowing your nose with CAR forms, then that may not be where you truly feel the Lord is calling you at this time. I'm not by any stretch saying all God wants for us is to be happy & that's what matters most. Absolutely not. More like if you love Him and you feel that's truly His will, you would be more at peace with it. It doesn't sound like you are. That's why I'm curious why you feel you need to do this and do it now. Are you getting external pressure applied? Not that you owe us any explanations but maybe it would help to have more time to pray about it, RC. I do care about what happens to your family, and I'm much on the same page about where you (and I) should be and why. Hope this helps!

Baby Irvine said:

irvinehomeshopper said:

On that list... I can do without #3, #7 and #8.

That's why Irvine works for me (although I currently have a small porch).

Back